Amateur handyman wants LED strip lights (1 Viewer)

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Let me start by saying I know very-little-to-nothing about electrical wiring, so this may be a doomed endeavour before I've even started...

I want to put in some LED strip lighting along the back of a strip of wood that runs along side windows of my van. I have unscrewed a box above one of my saloon spotlights to get at the wiring, and what I'm wondering is: can I somehow power the LED strip lighting from the wires that are already going to the saloon spotlight? For example, put some sort of splitter so I can plug more lights into the same set of wiring...

Any tips or links are appreciated... even if your tip is to leave it alone! :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes you can, just use electrical connecter blocks if out of site :thumb:
Dont forget to put a seperate switch in line though if you want them to work independantly of other lights:Doh:
And dont go putting multiple strips from the same source without finding out what the cables are good for amps wise, 1 strip of leds should be ok from eack spot as they are very low powered
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a lot of us have replaced the bulbs in the motorhomes

A lot of us have over time replaced the bulbs in the motorhome (ours is a Winnibago Aspect RV) .. RV's are just the same ... we have put led replacement bulbs in to reduce the drain that normal bulbs have on the habitation batteries. Not cheap, they work out around £9to £10 each.. I have change around 20 of them.

But as Geo has said do not overload the wiring, but I feel sure like he that if you are sensible in the number of leds in the run you can just add them with a snap connector.. an in line switch means you do not have to have them on all the time.. There are lots of them for sale at the shows.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
If your lighting strips are going to be concealed by trim ( ie above top lockers or under pelmits) you can get led strips from halfords. They are not encased hence the need for concealment but are easy to fit self adusive, just solder on power leads, they function between 6volts and 15volts so ok for van power and come in bright white or warm white as well as colours.

I used them in my gecko vivaruims in the past, but they have gone now so sorry no pics

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks fellas - I'm still a little bit unsure of how to go about running the LED's from the existing wires to the saloon lights, but I will post up a picture later of what I'm looking at and see if anyone can give me further advice...

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here's a picture of the wiring to a saloon light:

Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's simply a matter of connecting two extra wires from the screw connector and put the switch in series with the wire connected to the side with the red wire.

It would appear that you are not very well informed about electric wiring and would recommend you get someone who knows what they are doing to assist. Although 12v will not give you a shock, the available current is high and could potentially cause a fire.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
very easy......

firstly do you want a switch or just to come on with the other lights ?

secondly...DISCONNECT YOUR LEISURE BATTERY FIRST !!!

if you want a switch then connect exactly as it already is AFTER the white connector block.....

ie: take a wire from the green/brown (live) wire in the connector block to the new switch...from the second terminal on the switch take a wire to the new led light.
from the white/brown wire (earth) in the existing block take a wire directly to the new led light.
if the led doesnt work when connected simply swap the two new wires at the new led. (some led's are polarity sensitive)

if you dont want a seperate switch then connect the two new wires, one to the black wire at the existing switch and one to white/brown wire at the terminal block...again if it doesnt work simply swap the wires over.

a single led strip shouldnt use much over an amp at most so the wire doesnt need to be particularly heavy.

be warned......some leds need a driver module and are designed to run on 230v.
if you buy one of these, then it possibly wont work on 12v.

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I appreciate the disclaimer :winky:

So based on the combined wisdom from above, I would get LED lighting strips that are low voltage (< 12V), and then (with the help of an experienced electrician):

1. Disconnect the leisure battery and ensure all switches are off
  2. Install a switch for each LED strip
  3. Connect the switch +red wire to the screw connector (Green-brown)
  4. Connect the switch -black wire to the LED
  5. Connect the LED -negative wire to the screw connector (Brown-white)
  6. Reconnect the leisure battery
  7. Flick the switch, and ...

Admittedly I'm a little hazy about the connections to the LED that would be available... Someone above mentioned soldering, maybe I can avoid that if I find suitable strips.

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
be warned......some leds need a driver module and are designed to run on 230v.
if you buy one of these, then it possibly wont work on 12v.

I'm looking at these LED strips Link Removed which claim to be 12V, and they suggest the use of this 12V driver Link Removed to prolong the life of the strip by keeping the current constant (I presume).

Should I be taking the need for a driver module as a warning that it might not work?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The 'driver' you mention is for running your strips from the mains and isn't what you need. The strips will work from 12v without it however you should bear in mind that your van voltage is often more than 12v if on hookup or the engine running which could damage your LEDS.

I would suggest you use something like this, which is regulated to run on variable voltage, and also requires no soldering. It might be a bit more expensive, but these are a good firm I have used many times, and they go to all the shows.:thumb:

Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used strip lights in my self build and they burn out within 4-5 months due to the charge voltage being 14.5V.

The next batch I am fitting will have one of these
Link Removed
I bought this and am currently rewiring the van.

The LED's I am using are these
Link Removed
At £1.95 each they are fantastic value.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
these are what I have used

Link Removed

they opperate on/up to 12v not 15v as previously stated so you would need a unit to stabalise to voltage to 12volt, they do need the contecting wires soldering to the termianals, but they can be cut to lenght and are self adusive.

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would suggest you use something like this, which is regulated to run on variable voltage, and also requires no soldering. It might be a bit more expensive, but these are a good firm I have used many times, and they go to all the shows.:thumb:

Link Removed

Thanks for the link! I like the look of this model with the built in switch/driver. Do you know if the cable leading to the switch has positive/negative wires at the end so I can wire it up to my electrics? I have message them about it anyway...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the link! I like the look of this model with the built in switch/driver. Do you know if the cable leading to the switch has positive/negative wires at the end so I can wire it up to my electrics? I have message them about it anyway...

yes they will but what colour will be anyones guess !

doesnt matter really as i said, if it doesnt work turn the wires round :thumb:

just connect one wire, possible red or brown, to the terminal block connection which goes to the existing switch....the other wire, possible black or blue, to the other terminal block connection. job done :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back