Million Pound Mega Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Quite enjoyed it.

Never knew the nice folks at Concierge Camping were a Lord and Lady. I shall doff my cap next time I visit.

Apparently some chap on the show had a motorhome that cost £250,000... well he mentioned it about 1000 times and he doesn't go camping with the proles either.

Looking forward to the next episodes.

The company documents for Ratham Estate Company Ltd filed at Companies House name the directors as Mr G Hodgkin and Mrs T Hodgkin.

The high pitch fees are a clever bit of marketing. Still, they need to service £1,850,000 of creditors falling due after 1 year which is presumably the mortgage on the campsite. (According to the most recent filed accounts as at 30 April 2019.)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Apparently some chap on the show had a motorhome that cost £250,000... well he mentioned it about 1000 times and he doesn't go camping with the proles either.
I don't think I will ever meet him, and if I did I doubt he would talk to us. He only likes to mix with those that he thinks are in the same "social class" as him. Came across as a complete snob, or maybe another word that rhymes with that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t remember seeing one person lifting the whole kitchen on this programme, 3 or 4 people in most shots.
Perhaps some folks don't twig that these days just about everything has to be as light as humanly possible. My neighbour has a new Bailey caravan and he showed me where something small fell out of a top cupboard and punctured the table top! The helpful dealer filled the hole with wax...

BTW, I don't see why some people are getting eggy about people 'showing off'. The clue was in the programme title. :wink:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps some folks don't twig that these days just about everything has to be as light as humanly possible.

If they want to give us a useable payload they have to. Most motorhome tables are a light veneer over a sort of stiff cardboard honeycomb. Many have found out over the years that something falling ( out of a locker usually) in just the right place can easily puncture it. Filling that honeycomb section with wax is a good repair.

You could buy an RV of course and have a nice hardwood table. :D

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
The one thing I took from the show was to watch how things are edited. I’m doubtful that some of the people on the programme would have been quite as snobby, nobody goes on like the RS owner....do they?
The guy with the new Concorde, “This is the most expensive Motorhome in the U.K.” actually it’s not but who would say that? Without sounding bitchy it is not the most expensive model and it is an old model, it is the previous Charisma model with the large Concorde writing across the front under the windscreen. This was replaced in 2020 models with the new Concorde logo.
The guy with the RS was portrayed in very bad light, I find it hard to believe anyone who owns a Motorhome could have that sort of attitude.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Slightly OT but last night there was also an episode of Rich Holiday Poor Holiday on C5 that I also watched.

The rich family with 3 young children ended up spending about 6 nights in a rented Bailey MH on a quite basic site in Anglesey.

You could clearly see that the husband, after emptying the cassette (filmed in close-up, nice for viewers) didn't replace it correctly in its compartment. Came his wife's turn to empty it, and there was yukky mess and paper sloshing about in the compartment when she pulled the cassette out. Eww.

The rental company must have been delirious about the publicity, but maybe less pleased with the state of the MH when they got it back ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could clearly see that the husband, after emptying the cassette (filmed in close-up, nice for viewers) didn't replace it correctly in its compartment. Came his wife's turn to empty it, and there was yukky mess and paper sloshing about in the compartment when she pulled the cassette out. Eww.
In our tugging days I'd gone to empty the cassette came back & found 'er indoors had done a No.2. :eek:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The one thing I took from the show was to watch how things are edited. I’m doubtful that some of the people on the programme would have been quite as snobby, nobody goes on like the RS owner....do they?
The guy with the new Concorde, “This is the most expensive Motorhome in the U.K.” actually it’s not but who would say that? Without sounding bitchy it is not the most expensive model and it is an old model, it is the previous Charisma model with the large Concorde writing across the front under the windscreen. This was replaced in 2020 models with the new Concorde logo.
The guy with the RS was portrayed in very bad light, I find it hard to believe anyone who owns a Motorhome could have that sort of attitude.
As far as I remember they were filming on Consierge Camping for about 6 hours so a great deal of cutting must have taken place 😆.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I don't think I will ever meet him, and if I did I doubt he would talk to us. He only likes to mix with those that he thinks are in the same "social class" as him. Came across as a complete snob, or maybe another word that rhymes with that.
Totally agree, so far up his own backside, talking about social class, take people as they are, thankful that we are all different :giggle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If that was an ad for Bailey , it back fired, it looked as though the only thing keeping the habitation section together is glue, no thanks.
You can see why they are so cheap, a real cottage industry compared to the German manufacturers. The roof looked really thin with only polystyrene for insulation, If he took one of them to the artic circle he must have been cold.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Totally agree, so far up his own backside, talking about social class, take people as they are, thankful that we are all different :giggle:
I put it down to the editing, I hope, I have never had the misfortune to meet people like that on campsites, aires, THS etc. No matter how much it cost or how many motorhomes you have had we are all sitting on the same muddy field. Unless of course your paying £60 a night 😂😂

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I was surprised that Iveco driver felt he had to stay on C/camping to meet with the right sort of people, I thought one if the best things about about Motorhoming and camping in general is meeting all sorts and not knowing who or what they are.
I have to admit that I was put off a bigger rig after watching a couple roll up to a walled garden site in Northumberland in an N& B and spend 40mins trying to park on grass , then spending the whole weekend sat in the thing watching TV. I didn’t see the point. At least we in our little PVC could drive off visit places see the sights, take pictures, have a snack and return to camp later.
Each to their own 😉

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I went to have a look at his MH the day after the filming and at a pre agreed time. He wasn't there; gone off to do something with his cars, so his wife showed me around. She was very pleasant and not in the least bit snobbish.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You can see why they are so cheap, a real cottage industry compared to the German manufacturers. The roof looked really thin with only polystyrene for insulation, If he took one of them to the artic circle he must have been cold.
It might get there to the Artic but would it get back in one piece ?

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I didn't like the people who were buying them at all. One wass aying look, you can sit here on this couch and watch tv. So can I in my £30,000 Swift Firebrand!
Obviously none of them were real explorers like what we are!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Got to agree. I found the Bailey operation worrying and marvelled at how one person could lift the whole kitchen unit. It must be light cardboard.

I must have missed that. I remember seeing 3 guys lift a kitchen unit in.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Love too. it looks a lovely beast. Is it 7.5t or below as that is all I can drive?
Yes 7.2ton and empty it weights around 5.5 so plenty of payload. Mine is slightly heavier as it has the slide out which probably takes it up to 6 ton empty

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If they want to give us a useable payload they have to. Most motorhome tables are a light veneer over a sort of stiff cardboard honeycomb. Many have found out over the years that something falling ( out of a locker usually) in just the right place can easily puncture it. Filling that honeycomb section with wax is a good repair.

You could buy an RV of course and have a nice hardwood table. :D
You could buy a piece of Chippendale antique furniture worth an extreme amount of money and it would likely have wax in it through continued restoration.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I put it down to the editing, I hope, I have never had the misfortune to meet people like that on campsites, aires, THS etc. No matter how much it cost or how many motorhomes you have had we are all sitting on the same muddy field. Unless of course your paying £60 a night 😂😂
No matter where you live or what you live in a Cottage or a Mansion it was built on Mud or Clay it’s no different.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you want to spend 250k drop the S and replace it with a C and least you'll get a guarantee worth the paper it's written on

RC motorhomes are in the same ball park as RS but seem much better made and properly bespoke

Kind of casting 'nasturtiums' without probably having seen their operation or having been to the factory. I am on my third RS and never had a serious issue. The second one I had was a completely bespoke layout, the current one I went with one of their standard layouts and just chose colours and a few extras (the van comes so fully loaded as standard in any event).

Each to their own - there was a similar thread on here about RC - personally I think it looks really good but others didn't like it.

It is absolutely worth repeating (and one of the reasons I chose to buy from RS) - you cut out the dealer both on price and also more importantly any warranty or servicing work - they have never quibbled about anything, none of this continually negotiating with the dealer and the dealer blaming the manufacturer etc which I see so much of on here.

It will be why buying a Morelo direct would make such good sense - the manufacturer simply cannot hide and doesn't want the bad press.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Some seemed to be the motorhome equivalent to 'Medalion Man'.. very embarrassing.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Kind of casting 'nasturtiums' without probably having seen their operation or having been to the factory. I am on my third RS and never had a serious issue. The second one I had was a completely bespoke layout, the current one I went with one of their standard layouts and just chose colours and a few extras (the van comes so fully loaded as standard in any event).

Each to their own - there was a similar thread on here about RC - personally I think it looks really good but others didn't like it.

It is absolutely worth repeating (and one of the reasons I chose to buy from RS) - you cut out the dealer both on price and also more importantly any warranty or servicing work - they have never quibbled about anything, none of this continually negotiating with the dealer and the dealer blaming the manufacturer etc which I see so much of on here.

It will be why buying a Morelo direct would make such good sense - the manufacturer simply cannot hide and doesn't want the bad press.
I just wouldn’t be able to pay a deposit in the fear they would go out of business yet again, how many times have they gone bust leaving huge debts. I appreciate this has nothing to do with build quality. But on an overall picture, not a company I would want to do business with.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I went to have a look at his MH the day after the filming and at a pre agreed time. He wasn't there; gone off to do something with his cars, so his wife showed me around. She was very pleasant and not in the least bit snobbish.
Maybe that's why she was not seen in the pro :giggle: gramme

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back