Who checks safety of adaptions to motor-homes? (1 Viewer)

deegee

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
A forest in India
Funster No
MH
Looking (prev self-build)
Exp
10 years full timing
I would like to fit some fold-up extra seat-belted seating to a motorhome. Can someone tell me who is responsible for approving such adaptions as safe? Is it the DVLA? When I built my own van in 1993, you had to have a private contractor inspect it and issue a certificate which you then presented to the DVLA who amended the V5.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I would like to fit some fold-up extra seat-belted seating to a motorhome. Can someone tell me who is responsible for approving such adaptions as safe? Is it the DVLA? When I built my own van in 1993, you had to have a private contractor inspect it and issue a certificate which you then presented to the DVLA who amended the V5.

Amended the V5?

What has the V5 registration dcument to do with seat belts?
The V5 for my van doesn't mention seat belts, neither type of nor number of them.

And a new van doesn't have any certification regarding seat belts to pass on to the DVLA on first registration, either.

As far as I know it's a type-approval matter. Perhaps the Caravan Council can help with your query.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi deegee
You wont get an official certificate of approval anywhere.
I am not aware of any, ever being given to self builds by anyone
Your best source of advise would come from a kit car manf or motor sport constructor
An MoT station has no criteria to test to other than what is already fitted and at best is a simple visual inspection, So long as type aproved seat belts are used, and mountings well thought out and secure I see no problem
This week we have stripped out and re built the side of a motorhome with damp problems, and rotted timber framing
1.3/4" timber used throughout, Including the seatbelt mounting point on the B pillar
We had no alternative but to replace like for like, we however used oak as a replacement timber, The original construction has in the past complied with stringent German TUV regulations, Go figure
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my view you would ultimately be responsible for the fitment if you fitted it.

if a belt mounting failed resulting in you being sue'd you would be holding the sh:tty end of the stick in court.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi deegee

I have just built my own camper. I have seen mentions of engineers reports etc prior to havign the V5 changed but I didn't, I just took a few photographs, sent it in and the amended V5 came back.

I did take it upon myself to get the gas and electrical systems checked after I had them fitted just to be sure. I think if I fitted seatbelts I would try to imagine what ways a passenger might be thrown in the event of an accident and give them a good tug to test

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Deegee I also built my own and have also retro fitted seat-belts to some forward facing seats in my van before my present one.All you have to do is satisfy yourself that the anchor points are strong enough - mine was bolted to the floor and I made a 1 ins box section into the seat back for the upper mounts also bolted to the floor and fixed to the van loo wall for good measure :thumb: As to sending photos to the DVLA -nope- the only time they require proof is when you register the van from / to motor caravan,for that they require front / rear photos showing number plate and one interior :thumb: After that they may request you to take it to your local VOSA for a inspection
terry

OP
OP
D

deegee

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
A forest in India
Funster No
MH
Looking (prev self-build)
Exp
10 years full timing
Thank you for your responses. The advice I've received when asking ranges from "don't do it", "impossible", "forget even trying", to "you only have to be sure they're strong enough". Whilst I take the warnings of court consequences were there to be an accident, my view is that we should do all things professionally and properly and not avoid risk because of fear. Life would be very dull.

Have a look at this video. Half way through you can see the Hymer fold away seats with belts incorporated. Presumably these could be fitted to an existing van if securely bolted to the chassis.

Link Removed

I am, though, confused about the legality of fitting extra seats like this.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Thank you for your responses. The advice I've received when asking ranges from "don't do it", "impossible", "forget even trying", to "you only have to be sure they're strong enough". Whilst I take the warnings of court consequences were there to be an accident, my view is that we should do all things professionally and properly and not avoid risk because of fear. Life would be very dull.

Have a look at this video. Half way through you can see the Hymer fold away seats with belts incorporated. Presumably these could be fitted to an existing van if securely bolted to the chassis.

Link Removed

I am, though, confused about the legality of fitting extra seats like this.

well of course you are right Deegee. So fit your seatbelts, strap a dummy in, fit a high speed camera so you can check afterwards and then find a disused airfield with a 7 foot thick concrete wall and crash test your motorhome at 70mph :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Only joking of course but I am not sure how you can fully check things other than thinking it through and fitting as described in earlier posts on this thread

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back