Another of the Many Reasons I Love Portugal.... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never mind the sky blue sky and the gentle breeze and the sun pouring into the open Wagon door...

... my good friend Mosca who looks after the (25 year old) Hymer 660S for me while I am (was) away has just reported that the blowing exhaust has been sorted....

"Where did you get the new exhaust pipe from? Did we have to buy the whole system or just some of it?" I ask.

Mosca looks puzzled...

"No, no," he replies, "the man removed the whole system and the problem was where the pipe joined the manifold... it had rotted at the join... he cut off 20 cms, found a suitable pipe in his "scrap" pile, cut the same length piece from it and welded this piece to the rest of the system... refitted the exhaust pipe and now it is perfect..."

"Oh my goodness," I cry... "How much was that repair?"

"€20 or €25 euros... I don't exactly remember..."

Would Quick Fit have done the same?

JJ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
My dad would have thirty years ago, he was a whiz with using baked bean tins whilst repairing cars. Oh and the thought of what he could have done with a fray bentos tin :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You can keep Portugal today. Wales is bathed in warm sunshine, a gentle breeze so its not uncomfortable. Working outside with the beautiful non reflective screen on my Mac.

Tomorrow, I might be wishing I was in Portugal, but days like today we are enjoying the best weather you'll find anywhere in the world. In fact I feel sorry for you, stuck over there and missing it :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Gorgeous on the Suffolk coast... just back from a 4mile walk with the dog along a deserted beach .. and I mean deserted.. can't beat it :thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You can keep Portugal today. Wales is bathed in warm sunshine, a gentle breeze so its not uncomfortable. Working outside with the beautiful non reflective screen on my Mac.

Tomorrow, I might be wishing I was in Portugal, but days like today we are enjoying the best weather you'll find anywhere in the world. In fact I feel sorry for you, stuck over there and missing it :thumb:

Very nice here in Slough also, just had 9 holes of Golf:thumb:

Gorgeous on the Suffolk coast... just back from a 4mile walk with the dog along a deserted beach .. and I mean deserted.. can't beat it :thumb:

Fair enough Chaps but what about the Quick Fit Exhaust people fixing, rather than replacing, an exhaust system on a 25 year motorhome for £20...

JJ

PS there are non reflective screen MACs, Golf courses (water guzzlers) and deserted beachs here too you know...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fair enough Chaps but what about the Quick Fit Exhaust people fixing, rather than replacing, an exhaust system on a 25 year motorhome for £20...

JJ

PS there are non reflective screen MACs, Golf courses (water guzzlers) and deserted beachs here too you know...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

well JJ .. you got me on the exhaust .. can't beat that :thumb:

and yes, I concede there are plenty of deserted beaches around other EU counties .. but this one is on my back door :Smile: .. Mind you, in winter it can be a bleak windswept place .. but with it's own beauty..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

JJ

No JJ, actually, this is what would of happened at Quick fit.

They would of replaced the complete exhaust system for you for £299 but then whilst in the process advised you that your brakes need replacing, not just pads, but discs as well and charged you a further £400, however when attempting to start the wagon they noticed the battery was not performing as it should and replaced it for you at a cost of £99, then low and behold, during your free tyre check they noticed that you had a nail in one of your tyres (strategicly placed prior to driving on ramp) shown you the picture and changed all 5 tyres (spare included) to reduce your chances of getting another nail, however thanks to there 25% discount they done all 5 tyres for £480 insisting on camping car tyres telling you it was the law. As a favour they done a oil & Filter change which unearthed a problem with the Piston rings, fortunately the guy that works there has a mate that "does" engine work, he has rebuilt the engine for you for £700 but as another favour, "wont charge you for the oil change"
After doing all the above for you, they would then tell you it needed an MOT and would only charge you £50 to do it today,

KWIK FIT your'd be amazed at what they can do"""""

Incedently the advert whereby they speak Japanese is true, its teh language they use to speak to each other prior to ripping yo off because they know you can't understand.:thumb:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi JJ

From the various post's it sounds as if you had a good trip down.

Similar repair, not change, culture here - very keen to use the cheapest way, its one of the things I like about the Island.:thumb: I have had several items fixed which would have been scrapped in the UK. :RollEyes:

Mike, Island of Gozo, Malta

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

JJ

R U saying that your welsh mechanic would be harsh with you:winky:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ok... This is what would have happened at my Super Mechanic's Place in Sennybridge... He would have done a fantastic repair... Refused to take any payment.. Then made me spend all night at the Tanner's Arms and I would have been ill all the following day!

Jj

R U saying that your welsh mechanic would be harsh with you:winky:::bigsmile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Ok... This is what would have happened at my Super Mechanic's Place in Sennybridge... He would have done a fantastic repair... Refused to take any payment.. Then made me spend all night at the Tanner's Arms and I would have been ill all the following day!

Jj

Disgraceful service :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

Jj

Yupp the Sherriff of Sennybridge is a real tough un:winky::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back