Slapton Sands (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Hi

Just looking at options in the UK for a family holiday in August. Has anyone stayed at the C@CC site at Slapton Sands? We're 7.2m long and the advice is to take the long way round to get there, how bad is the road in if you follow their advice and is the site worth a visit?

Thanks, mike

Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We did the C&MC site which is nearby last year I was in a 7.3m and came in from Kingsbridge A379, yes its tight like all the villages down there but take your time I went head on with a bus and with a bit of patience we got round each other, if you go past the site the C&CC is past Slapton Ley. Start Bay has a dark past there's a monument to all the American servicemen killed there practicing for D Day which is worth knowing about before you go. If you continue back round to the C&MC site there is a fantastic micro brewery and shop within Stokley Farm. There are a cpl of pub restaurants between both sites as well. We only tend to do 2 nights a site and that was more than sufficient for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We did the C&MC site which is nearby last year I was in a 7.3m and came in from Kingsbridge A379, yes its tight like all the villages down there but take your time I went head on with a bus and with a bit of patience we got round each other,........
That's why you get the bus timetable from Kingsbridge and time your travel so you're following the bus through the villages!:whistle2:(y)

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
We’ve stayed twice at the CMC site and enjoyed the area. Pub in walking distance is Church House Inn, Stokenham is good for meals. The Tradesmen Arms is in the village was not open in September but is a real ale type pub with good food. Nice cafe on Blackpool Sands on way to Dartmouthm take the bus it’s easier
lots of history in Start Bay, if pub is open great for fish as have their own boat so very fresh. Was limited in September due to restrictions hope they ease when you go .
Tank they recovered from the sea on car park in Start Bay
CFC1F11C-5FE0-43C0-90AD-024A65E8155A.jpeg

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Slapton and around is lovey, come in past blackpool end 7.2 isnt too bad, more hilly than winding.

Google earth is good for doing the "virtual " drive so you can see your self

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Oh, and don’t plan to park in the middle car park at Slapton, as the miserable power-mad fuddy-duddies at South Hams District Council have erected a height barrier to prevent anyone with a vehicle higher than a car from getting into the car park at any time. Despicable behaviour from archetypal dogs-in-the-manger.

Stokeley Farm shop definitely worth a visit.

Do follow the directions and take the long way around.

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Oh, and don’t plan to park in the middle car park at Slapton, as the miserable power-mad fuddy-duddies at South Hams District Council have erected a height barrier to prevent anyone with a vehicle higher than a car from getting into the car park at any time. Despicable behaviour from archetypal dogs-in-the-manger.

Stokeley Farm shop definitely worth a visit.

Do follow the directions and take the long way around.
Thanks for the info. We had planned to travel down very early in the morning and park there till the site allowed access. I’ll have to look at alternatives for a few hours now.

Jan 5, 2009
Chillington Devon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2006
Stay on the A379 to reach both CCC and CMCA sites.
I live close by and would not take my 7.7m of the main road other than to reach home which was very well checked out before we bought.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
My daughter lives there very busy,parking not good for motorhomes nice site we stay away in peak times

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The CMC site at Stokely is a good option. There is a path now to reach the pub in Stokenham and its an easy walk to Torcross. The Stokely Farm shop has a brewery and they allow overnight MH parking - but ring them up first.

The road from Kingsbridge to Torcross is generally good but can be a nightmare in August. :)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Thanks for the info. We had planned to travel down very early in the morning and park there till the site allowed access. I’ll have to look at alternatives for a few hours now.
Just below the site there is a lay-by where you can park if the site is closed. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stay on the A379 to reach both CCC and CMCA sites.
I live close by and would not take my 7.7m of the main road other than to reach home which was very well checked out before we bought.

And, just for those that believe all the roads in the UK are those big wide things you can overtake on ??? the road to Dartmouth,(the route to Slapton,) the A3122 is less than 6mtrs wide in places ie. no system of lines on the road.

Welcome to the West Country

OP
OP
Saxon66
May 10, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar gtl living
Just below the site there is a lay-by where you can park if the site is closed. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Thanks again. Are there height barriers at the car park at Tor Cross too do you know? There looks to be some coach parking there that I might sneak into for a few hours before dawn :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks again. Are there height barriers at the car park at Tor Cross too do you know? There looks to be some coach parking there that I might sneak into for a few hours before dawn :)
The car park at Strete Gate is probably the best to use. It's at the east end of Slapton Sands on the corner before the road turns inland. There's a short bit where you can park for free by the wall but if you drive past this towards the public toilets you reach a much larger car park. MHs have overnighted here although this is not permitted - but some get away with it. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I didn't know about the height barrier on the middle car park - assume installation must be fairly recent? However, it is two or three years since we visited.

It used to have space specifically for motorhomes. And at the north end of the bay, the car park at Strete Gate had a 'no motorhomes' sign, and advice that MHs could use the middle car park!!

It sounds like a deeply regrettable change of heart on that one... :cry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I didn't know about the height barrier on the middle car park - assume installation must be fairly recent? However, it is two or three years since we visited.

It used to have space specifically for motorhomes. And at the north end of the bay, the car park at Strete Gate had a 'no motorhomes' sign, and advice that MHs could use the middle car park!!

It sounds like a deeply regrettable change of heart on that one... :cry:
Sadly all the official MH parking has gone from the area but as I mentioned you can park and overnight at the Stokely Farm Shop - or you could in normal times in 2019. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sadly all the official MH parking has gone from the area but as I mentioned you can park and overnight at the Stokely Farm Shop - or you could in normal times in 2019. :)

We've been regular visitors to the area since 1972, when we first discovered the naturist beach at the northern end of the bay, towards Pilchard Cove. ;)

It's an extraordinary pretty area of the world in my opinion, so very sad to learn that vans have now been prevented from (daytime) parking anywhere on the seafront. :(

Thanks for the info about Stokely Farm - I think we called in a few years back to check it out, because it appeared in the BritStops guide at the time.

In the past, we've often stopped at Manor Farm, Strete - a rustic campsite, that has a naturist section.

And we've also used the C&CC site at Stoke Fleming.

Reactions: DBK

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The car park at Strete Gate is probably the best to use. It's at the east end of Slapton Sands on the corner before the road turns inland. There's a short bit where you can park for free by the wall but if you drive past this towards the public toilets you reach a much larger car park. MHs have overnighted here although this is not permitted - but some get away with it. :)
It’s a bit sloping up there, but quiet and not overlooked. Take your ramps!

South Hams DC has gone out of its way to make life difficult for Motorhomes. It takes a real effort to drive to Slapton, even for locals like us. You’d have thought, in these straightened times, that the council could have done with the extra income from overnight parking in otherwise empty car parks, as well as the money spent in Torcross shops and pub.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back