Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have a fiat ducato/ glendale cosmopolitan motorhome, Its a 1985 model, and the company appears to no longer exist, how am i likely to be able to find out the gross train weight, there is only one "tag" under the bonnet, and that tells me zilch:RollEyes:, I need the info, one, to get a PRPOER towbar, and two, to know how much i can tow.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I dont think the Glendales had any chassis modification so the MGW and train weight will be that of the original Ducato. You will need to get to a weighbridge to find out the actual gross weight from which you can calculate the amount you can tow.

eg

Manufacturers max train weight - Gross weight = max weight you can tow.

Don't forget to allow for the weight of the towbar.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
later Glendales were on whatever chassis was to hand

The later Glendales that were made in Havant in Hampshire were just built on available chassis.. I have seen them putting together a motorhome.. based on a wooden frame. So take the vehicle chassis weight from the chassis i.e Ford, Merc etc., Then get it on a weigh bridge to get the actual weight after the conversion.. that is the starting issue .. As they made most if not all under 3,500 kgs you should be able to get some idea of what you can pull on a tow bar.

As you say went out of business for more than once.. Were in several places at various times..

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The post above isn't accurate. Even a vehicle under 3.5 tonne can have a huge gross train weight. e.g. the AWD (and RWD?) transit 350 has a GTW of over 5.5 tonnes IIRC.

Does your V5 say anything - mine does I think.

Any plate inside the passenger door (or is that a new thing?)

Getting the vehicle weight is one thing, the GTW can't be calculated - it needs to be either written down or found on paperwork (contact dealer?)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is the point the maker went bust

The post above isn't accurate. Even a vehicle under 3.5 tonne can have a huge gross train weight. e.g. the AWD (and RWD?) transit 350 has a GTW of over 5.5 tonnes IIRC.

Getting the vehicle weight is one thing, the GTW can't be calculated - it needs to be either written down or found on paperwork (contact dealer?)

the maker..Glendale went bust.. more than once.. he needs a starting figure and that has to be the chassis weight without the body.. that can be obtained from Fiat.. cab and chassis.. as supplied by using the vin number.. then if he takes it and gets it weighed he will know what theca actual weight of the motorhome is... working on the basis that Glendale did not make big motorhomes you have at least a basis to work with.. These motor homes were made of wooden frames with either plastic covered sides or alluminium.. so it is not rocket science to get a ball park figure for the weight for the purpose of a tow ball...

I had one of these on a Merc chassis so I know how it was made.. watched it being made in fact. no plates on mine either.. so I think it is a best estimate.

Bob:Eeek:

p.s .. there is not a lot of places to fit a tow ball to these motorhomes.. the chassi was often extend with wood stringers from the metal chassis and that will present a hell of a cost and problem.. have to be made for the job and not off the shelve.. look under the back end and you will see what I mean.. most Glendales were built long than the chassis as supplied by Fiat.

Last edited:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

I think you have miss understood the previous posts, what they are saying is that the chassis is not altered therefore the Gross train weight is the same a the manufacturer states for that chassis.

However the vehicle body is not origonal to the chassis manufacturer, therefore it will need to be weighed as is now with that body on to asscertain it's weight now, that figure must then be taken away from the chassis manufacturers Gross Train Weight this will give you the gross allowable trailer weight.

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the majority of fiat ducato's have a train weight of 5500kg
this is altered if the gross weight is up rated beyond the standard weight.

the plate under the bonnet MUST by eu (if not international) law have the gross and axle weights as a minimum.

if the gross is 3500kg then i would put money on the train being 5500kg

can you post the exact details on the plate under the bonnet to give us a fair chance of giving a fair answer ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
remember we are talking 1985....26 years ago

the majority of fiat ducato's have a train weight of 5500kg
this is altered if the gross weight is up rated beyond the standard weight.

the plate under the bonnet MUST by eu (if not international) law have the gross and axle weights as a minimum.

if the gross is 3500kg then i would put money on the train being 5500kg

can you post the exact details on the plate under the bonnet to give us a fair chance of giving a fair answer ?

John was that the case in 1985? this is a 26 year old version of the Fiat.

Bob?:Eeek:

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive looked in the handbook that ive got, and there is no mention of GTW. It gives the axle weights and unladen weight F/axle 1550 R/axle 1680 U/L/W 2800. There is no information on the V5, and the only plate on the vehicle, (there should be three plus the motorhome manf plate) has the following info 021-B-104-T
NA25
I obviously have the chassis No, but the above numbers mean beggar all to me.
Ive imported HGV trailers from the US, and got them registered and tested, but ive had manufacturers details tio do that, this is proving a little problematic. Ive even sent an email to a seller on ebay who was selling an identical model.....no luck yet:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back