lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It's GRP composite...guaranteed. same floor as Hymers.
I just couldn’t find it written down when looking, in the end it didn’t matter as they weren’t for me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Did you watch the video? No timber battens to be seen. Agree no mention of PU foam though.
They don't show the wall construction you would need to see the wall before it is assembled and put in the vacume press.
It's GRP composite...guaranteed. same floor as Hymers.
If its white it will be GRP if black it will be timber.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
They don't show the wall construction you would need to see the wall before it is assembled and put in the vacume press.

If its white it will be GRP if black it will be timber.
Interesting. Yes I'll agree you can't see how the panels are made and you can't see the inner battens whatever they are. The corners don't look to be wood though.

On the floors, minxie girls link says they are made by dethleffs. The floor is black but it sure ain't like any wood I have ever seen. Like I said it looks just like my composite decking.

When I had my LPG tank fitted the fitter said it was composite and the same as they Hymers he did. But it's defo black and not white.

Interesting research

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome 😄 another thumbs up for the hymer, ours suits our needs, layout has to be the priority( budget allowing) have to agree with andyPK
Layout..layout..good luck

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Wind out awnings weigh approx 10kg per metre, most people fit a second battery another 28kg, we have 3x 100watt solar panels about 8kg each. Our e-bikes are 24kg each, it soon adds up. Most vans only allow for 20Lt of water in the payload figures, we like to travel with our 160Lt tank full that adds another 140kg.
Payload soon disappears.

If you are not aware the payload is the difference between MIRO (mass in running order) and the MAM (max authorised weight) what we used to call gross weight). The MIRO normally includes a driver at 75kg, 90% fuel, 20lt water and 1x 11kg aluminium gas bottle.
Learning more each day on here ha, think we are still keen on the Hymer B504, to start we are looking at weekend trips (Thursday to Sunday work permitting) so we will be able to travel very light at least to start, probably a good thing to get used to how it all works, driving etc, thanks for the info (to all actually as well)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
.......think we are still keen on the Hymer B504.....

May be worth checking how many belted seats there are in the B504 if you intend to travel with your niece. My 2004 Hymer brochure only seems to indicate 3 max.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The vehicles would be the same structurally, differing only in furniture, flooring and interior fabrics.
No, that's only saying that the Carado and Sunlights are made the same structurally, it doesn't say they are made the same structurally as Hymer and Dethleffs because they aren't.

I think this says it. If you look at the pictures you can see there us no timber. Maybe they just don't brag about it.

I have one. I can see the inner isn't wood and I can see there is no wooden frame either. I'm not saying there isn't any anywhere but if I had to put money on it....
On my post above with the clip from the linked article it says about Carado (and thus Sunlight):

1613398740932.png

So they DO use wood in the frame.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
No, that's only saying that the Carado and Sunlights are made the same structurally, it doesn't say they are made the same structurally as Hymer and Dethleffs because they aren't.

On my post above with the clip from the linked article it says about Carado (and thus Sunlight):

View attachment 466060

So they DO use wood in the frame.
Well in Travelworlds view they DO and at that time. Doesn't necessarily mean they were;

1) Correct or
2) That they still do

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Well in Travelworlds view they DO and at that time. Doesn't necessarily mean they were;

1) Correct or
2) That they still do
I thought that there would be someone on here that knew for certain, ie. had had one in bits

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

1) Correct or
2) That they still do
It was in the article which was using a quote from an employee at the manufacturing plant ...

One of the ways to see would be to look at the side of a Carado/Sunlight and see if you can see where the structural supports are ... if it's got timber in it, it is highly likely that you will be able to see the 'undulation' in the body panel, that's always been the case when we've had MH's with wooden structural members.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It was in the article which was using a quote from an employee at the manufacturing plant ...

One of the ways to see would be to look at the side of a Carado/Sunlight and see if you can see where the structural supports are ... if it's got timber in it, it is highly likely that you will be able to see the 'undulation' in the body panel, that's always been the case when we've had MH's with wooden structural members.
Good point. I can't see any undulations at all

Also, last summer I screwed to new blinds up in the Bedroom area. I found something solid around the rear windows. I used a fine drill to pilot the screws. The bits that came out were not wood, they were GRP. This was around a window frame which, I imagine, would be wood if it was a wood frame.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
gpat Minxy Girl Lenny HB

I just remembered when I was doing my research for our new van I emailed a few companies asking them questions regarding their build, this is the reply I received from Carado last February.

I emailed asking if they could confirm the construction materials, I think Lenny may be correct.

Dear Mr. H
Thank you for your request.
We have attached the information for you.

Material: Motorhomes

Body/material side wall:
34mm / aluminum / insulation material EPS foam and wooden frame
(wooden reinforcements) / inside plywood with decorative foil

Body/material roof/rear:
34mm / glass fiber reinforced plastic / insulation material EPS foam and
wooden frame (wooden reinforcements) / inside plywood with decorative foil

Body/material floor:
41mm / plywood with protective coating / insulation material EPS foam and

Protection of the subfloor from moisture and rotting:

As mentioned in the body, the subfloor is covered with a diffusion-open
protective coating (wood preservative). The glaze used is
breathable, it allows moisture to escape and at the same time protects against external penetration.

top panel - 6 mm plywood
middle - 30 mm polystyrene
board bottom - 5mm

We hope we have helped you with this information and are available to answer any

further questions.

Herzliche Grüße aus Leutkirch / Best regards
Carado GmbH
Ihr Carado-Team
T. +49 7561 9097-300
info@carado.de
BROKEN LINK
Carado GmbH
Bahnhof 11
88299 Leutkirch im Allgäu
www.carado.de

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
gpat Minxy Girl Lenny HB

I just remembered when I was doing my research for our new van I emailed a few companies asking them questions regarding their build, this is the reply I received from Carado last February.

I emailed asking if they could confirm the construction materials, I think Lenny may be correct.

Dear Mr. H
Thank you for your request.
We have attached the information for you.

Material: Motorhomes

Body/material side wall:

34mm / aluminum / insulation material EPS foam and wooden frame
(wooden reinforcements) / inside plywood with decorative foil

Body/material roof/rear:
34mm / glass fiber reinforced plastic / insulation material EPS foam and

Body/material floor:
41mm / plywood with protective coating / insulation material EPS foam and

Protection of the subfloor from moisture and rotting:

As mentioned in the body, the subfloor is covered with a diffusion-open
protective coating (wood preservative). The glaze used is
breathable, it allows moisture to escape and at the same time protects against external penetration.

top panel - 6 mm plywood
middle - 30 mm polystyrene
board bottom - 5mm

We hope we have helped you with this information and are available to answer any

further questions.

Herzliche Grüße aus Leutkirch / Best regards
Carado GmbH
Ihr Carado-Team
T. +49 7561 9097-300
info@carado.de
BROKEN LINK
Carado GmbH
Bahnhof 11
88299 Leutkirch im Allgäu
www.carado.de
I'll never disagree with Lenny again :LOL:

Did the writer say when this was. I looked at the floor yesterday and still didn't think it was wood. Must be the protective layer that lead me astray. I looked under my neighbours Mobilvetta and its floor was white. However it had exactly the same textured glaze that is mentioned.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'll never disagree with Lenny again :LOL:

Did the writer say when this was. I looked at the floor yesterday and still didn't think it was wood. Must be the protective layer that lead me astray. I looked under my neighbours Mobilvetta and its floor was white. However it had exactly the same textured glaze that is mentioned.
I emailed last February so I assume it was factual at that time.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I wonder how many motorhomes have wooden floors? To be honest I'm not too worried about it. It looks well made and I haven't heard of any carados having damp issues.

I'll just look out for the woodworm setting in:(

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I wonder how many motorhomes have wooden floors? To be honest I'm not too worried about it. It looks well made and I haven't heard of any carados having damp issues.

I'll just look out for the woodworm setting in:(
I think quite a lot will be wooden and if looked after it should last a lifetime, plenty of wooden boats around prove that point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back