New to the motorhome world (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Hello all, great site and people are very knowledgeable, we are Luke, Sara Jane & Sabien (our 1 year old son). We have after a degree of time (after watching parents purchase and love the motorhome life) decided to make the decision to knock the expensive cruises on the head and enjoy what the UK has to offer and hopefully Europe (in time).
We have done a lot of research and narrowed our preference of motorhome to the Hymer B504 or Chausson Flash 03, (we prefer the Hymer) so if anyone has one of these for sale feel free to message. Thanks all

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The hymer build quality is infinitely better usually than a chausson

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
The hymer build quality is infinitely better usually than a chausson
Thanks for the advice, im guessing that's why finding them is hard work and why there's quite a few Chausson for sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We bought a chausson and it was really stylish. However it was specced wrong and we had to reject it and get our money back (their mistake). We had waited a year for it. We reordered but then we saw the Carado (in stock) and decided we couldn't wait any longer so we bought it there and then.

With hindsight I'm so glad we did. Whilst it was a bit more expensive and had fewer bells and whistles....the quality is so much better. I would recommend a Carado anytime over the chausson.

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
We bought a chausson and it was really stylish. However it was specced wrong and we had to reject it and get our money back (their mistake). We had waited a year for it. We reordered but then we saw the Carado (in stock) and decided we couldn't wait any longer so we bought it there and then.

With hindsight I'm so glad we did. Whilst it was a bit more expensive and had fewer bells and whistles....the quality is so much better. I would recommend a Carado anytime over the chausson.
Thanks for that advice, I'm going to take a look at the Carado, I'm starting to think twice about the Chausson now to be honest, it's a bit of a minefield looking for a motorhome though lol, I also like the look of Niessman Bischoff (not sure spelt right). Thanks

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, I wouldn’t rule out other makes so take your time ask questions and view loads when possible. The chausson do look nice but my personal opinion is the quality could be better, I’m only basing that on what I noticed while looking last year. I also didn’t think the Carado was that great of quality either again only based on viewing a few last year.
Are you looking new or SH and if folk had an idea of your budget they might be able to offer some options.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
The Hymer is a much better van, the 504 has a very short wheelbase and can give a choppy ride.
The Corado's are good value a but very basic and use timber in the body construction so nowhere near as good as a Hymer.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the best place for help and advice.

I guess the attraction of the Hymer B504 (and possibly the Chausson) is the rear bunks for the children. This style of layout is not the most popular, so you probably won't find many for sale on the secondhand market.

However, the rear bunk layout is popular with Italian families. Consequently, you may need to widen your search for Italian made vans such as RollerTeam etc.

I had a Hymer B544 for 10 years and was very pleased with it. But, probably not ideally suitable for 2 children. When we camped with children we put them in a tent - they loved it :LOL:

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
The B504's I've seen have just a single bed over the garage.
Correct my last van was a B504cl , great van and not seen any for sale lately in fact there was someone else asking for one on classifieds on here .

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from chilly Ciren! (y) ❄️

(as above, new or second-hand.......? budget........?,
and
layout, layout, layout!!!)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The B504's I've seen have just a single bed over the garage.
Yes Lenny, you're right. It's the B524 that has the option for bunk beds at the rear / or single bed over garage. Info taken from a 2004 brochure....later models may differ.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi and welcome to the fun house. 🤪

Not wishing to push you but if you subscribe you can download the excellent 'Buyers Guide' in the resources section for free (usually £7.99) which will give you a LOT of info on what to look for in the various builds, layouts, equipment levels etc.

What licence have you got?

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Hi and welcome, I wouldn’t rule out other makes so take your time ask questions and view loads when possible. The chausson do look nice but my personal opinion is the quality could be better, I’m only basing that on what I noticed while looking last year. I also didn’t think the Carado was that great of quality either again only based on viewing a few last year.
Are you looking new or SH and if folk had an idea of your budget they might be able to offer some options

Are you looking new or SH and if folk had an idea of your budget they might be able to offer some options.
Hello, cheers for the advice, we do need to go look round several mhomes but obviously with the current climate travelling outside our boundary makes it difficult, we are looking second hand as our budget is around the 25k mark and we realised this tends to get you anything from late 1990's (low mileage) up to 2010 models generally, anything newer seems to go over the 30k mark (we just looked on eBay and autotrader). Thanks

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
:welco:
The Hymer is a much better van, the 504 has a very short wheelbase and can give a choppy ride.
The Corado's are good value a but very basic and use timber in the body construction so nowhere near as good as a Hymer.
Hi I thought the 504 ride might be a bit "unstable" as we saw on the photographs of them the wheels are quite far "in" from the back and front ends of the van, I did have a Nissan nv200 combi van car for work and they are similar I would imagine , driving it in a strong wind was always good fun lol, cheers for your reply

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the best place for help and advice.

I guess the attraction of the Hymer B504 (and possibly the Chausson) is the rear bunks for the children. This style of layout is not the most popular, so you probably won't find many for sale on the secondhand market.

However, the rear bunk layout is popular with Italian families. Consequently, you may need to widen your search for Italian made vans such as RollerTeam etc.

I had a Hymer B544 for 10 years and was very pleased with it. But, probably not ideally suitable for 2 children. When we camped with children we put them in a tent - they loved it :LOL:
Hello, yes we like the idea of bunk beds as we are looking to bring along our niece on some trips and when she is not with us we can lift the bunk up to make more garage space (on some we have seen), IL take a look at RollerTeam, we have seen a few 544 but as you said ruled them out as they didn't have the rear bed, I think my wife would tell me off if we put our 1 year old in a tent, though on the plus note we'd get a good night's sleep for once ha

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Welcome from chilly Ciren! (y) ❄️

(as above, new or second-hand.......? budget........?,
and
layout, layout, layout!!!)
Budget 25k, so second hand, layout two fixed bed setup and rear garage and four seat belts a must

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Hi and welcome to the fun house. 🤪

Not wishing to push you but if you subscribe you can download the excellent 'Buyers Guide' in the resources section for free (usually £7.99) which will give you a LOT of info on what to look for in the various builds, layouts, equipment levels etc.

What licence have you got?
Hello thanks I'm going to download that guide, I have a 3500kg license, not a C license unfortunately, passed test after the cut off

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi and another big :welc: Enjoy.
Keep searching and Hope you find the perfect van for you and your family.
I love our Hymer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back