FROM ITALY TO SCOTLAND - 2011 Aug Summer Holiday (1 Viewer)

maurifo

Free Member
Jun 10, 2011
Italy
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hey hey Buongiorno,

I'm writing from Milano Italy !
With other friends we are planning our holidays in Scotland next August.

I need all the most useful info about the RVing in Scotland, Places to Park, Places to visit.

Please help me to have a great holiday in Scotland !!!

So now I start with first questions ...

I need your suggestions about the best and cheaper :) way to arrive in scotland starting from France (from italy to northern France I've all the info).
Which Ferry do you suggest ? the best is the short trip to southern England or something different ?

What about Diesel prices ?
Parking in UK ... In italy is possible to stop outside camps what about your country ?

These are the first quest ... I'll post some other in the next days, but if you have suggestions please post to me !

THX a lot

Maurizio
Mail: infocamper@maurifo.com
Visit my Camperweblog www.maurifo.com

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Ciao Maurizio

Welcome to fun.

Fuel prices are high in the UK the current cost of diesel is about £1.39 per litre and petrol about £1.37.

Ferry from Amsterdam, Holland to Newcastle, may save you a little on the driving.

Many funsters seem to take the Dover to Calais route when visiting France from what I have seen on the postings here but I am sure those who have done trips abroad will be far better to advise you than me

There are so many fabulous places to see on the way to Scotland too xxxx

Good luck with your plans xxxx

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Maurizio and welcome.

the cheapest option for ferries will be northern France to southern England (Dover) but the distance from Dover to southern Scotland will be around 1000km.
Holland to newcastle ferries will be considerably more expensive but only 160km to the scottish 'border' .

diesel is currently around €1.50/€1.60 per liter.

'wild' camping (not on campsites) is very popular in Scotland and possible in England, but you may be asked to move by the police (unlikely) if you 'camp' in the wrong places.
we do not have a system of aire's/stellplatz as in europe.

you mention you have an RV....this may restrict where you can go in Scotland depending on the size, the main roads are good but smaller roads can be narrow and twisting.

i hope this helps :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't do it Maurizio !

Scotland is good but Italy is Magnificent.

Scotland has hills, Switzerland has Mountains.

Scotland has streams, Germany has The Rhein.

Just back from Scotland, half of the Netherlands and some of Germany is already there. Never seen so many motorcycles.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Maurizio and welcome.

the cheapest option for ferries will be northern France to southern England (Dover) but the distance from Dover to southern Scotland will be around 1000km.
Holland to newcastle ferries will be considerably more expensive but only 160km to the scottish 'border' .

[HI]
diesel is currently around €1.50/€1.60 per liter.
[/HI]

'wild' camping (not on campsites) is very popular in Scotland and possible in England, but you may be asked to move by the police (unlikely) if you 'camp' in the wrong places.
we do not have a system of aire's/stellplatz as in europe.

you mention you have an RV....this may restrict where you can go in Scotland depending on the size, the main roads are good but smaller roads can be narrow and twisting.

i hope this helps :thumb:

Where are you getting your diesel from John, £1.37 in Asda today or are you anticipating next weeks price?:winky:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Where are you getting your diesel from John, £1.37 in Asda today or are you anticipating next weeks price?:winky:

Should have gone to spec savers. :roflmto: Papajohn has quoted the price in Euros. :thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
diesel fuel

always go to the big name supermarkets for your fuel, TESCO & Sainsbury. Its always cheaper than service stations. DO NOT fill up on the motorways as expensive. You have got to visit the cities of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Glasgow. Away from the big cities and the roads can get a bit narroiw for a big vehicle so plan your trip well. good luck

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Should have gone to spec savers. :roflmto: Papajohn has quoted the price in Euros. :thumb:

and correctly so....Maurizio will understand the euro price (only a rough guide) better than the £ price, just as i quoted distances in km rather than miles. :thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Maurizio, hope you have an enjoyable trip to Scotland , we dont have any experience motorhoming there, but sure others will help you ...look out for offers at the larger supemarkets for discounts, not often admittedly but today I shopped in my local Morrisons supermarket and as i spent more than £40 (a discount promotion on ) I was given a voucher to use for fuel 6p off a litre of fuel, valid until 19th June

( I have half a tank full or half empty :winky::winky:...so will go for a ride tomorrow to empty my tank to take advantage of filling the tank again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
Maybe we should take the motorhome n fill at this discounted price :Cool:

Kath x - a womans logic on the case :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Perhaps someone should warn Maurizio about the scottish midges?

Midges - little biting flies found especially near water and heather. No big lumps, just very, very itchy where they bite you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Perhaps someone should warn Maurizio about the scottish midges?

Midges - little biting flies found especially near water and heather. No big lumps, just very, very itchy where they bite you
agreed :thumb:
found mainly on the west coast from may to october.
harmless, but extremely irritating bites.

OP
OP
M

maurifo

Free Member
Jun 10, 2011
Italy
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Ah ah ah ... :ROFLMAO:
Thx SilverF1 for the warning ... but I'm coming from the mosquitos' country in Italy ... so don't worry :thumb:

I want to thanks you all for your suggestions ...

The fuel is a little bit more expensive :cry: than here ... 1.3 €.

I'm a little bit worried by the roads ... we are all with 7 meters rv.

About the "wild camping" we're thinking to stay out of camping for 2/3 days and then stay in for a day.
Do you have any suggestion for a good style of wild camping ? ::bigsmile:
are there places to charge /descarge water (black, grey) outside campings ?
If not, in the campings is for free if you don't stay in for the night ?

Is there a card for camping discount there ?

eheheh ... In the next month I'll be your nightmare :Eeek: but if you need info from Italy ... let me know

GRAZIE MILLE
Maurizio

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
There are not any aire's in Scotland where you can dump your toilet or grey waste, for these things it is best to use sites, but there is a lady on fun who has a garden centre near Inverness and she has a aire type facility, perhaps someone can put a link to her. In a lot of the Scotish country side you can wild camp quite easily but be aware that there is a new law in force now that stops you wild camping on the side of Lock Ness. A lot of the roads in Scotland are very narrow so do be aware of them with a large motorhome. It is a country to visit I am sure you will enjoy it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi There
We did the reverse trip last summer we went from Scotland to Italy. If your rv is 7m long do not worry you will fit most roads in Scotland might just have to take your time on some but at least you wont have an Italian driver coming other way :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

If i where you id check prices for the Zeebrugge to Hull crossing might not be a massive difference when you take fuel in to account. If you go for the dover crossing in sure its about 440miles from Dumfries in the south west Scotland where i live, i would also recommend you visit Dumfries and Galloway as it is a beautiful part of Scotland and very quiet with loads of places for wildcamping.

If you join the camping and caravan club im sure they have facilities that you can use for the day. You can go to one of their site pay about £6 and use the water fill and empting and also the showers. Also if you join you can use the CS site these are small sites on farms for example and the caravan club also does the same but they are called CL's. If you have a plan then let us know and will try and help you with sites and wildcamping as Scotland is a big place you know.

Just so you know our midges would kill a mosquito is about 5 seconds:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: try buying skin so soft from Avon cosmetics web site.

Gerry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hey hey Buongiorno,

I'm writing from Milano Italy !
With other friends we are planning our holidays in Scotland next August.

I need all the most useful info about the RVing in Scotland, Places to Park, Places to visit.

Please help me to have a great holiday in Scotland !!!

So now I start with first questions ...

I need your suggestions about the best and cheaper :) way to arrive in scotland starting from France (from italy to northern France I've all the info).
Which Ferry do you suggest ? the best is the short trip to southern England or something different ?

What about Diesel prices ?
Parking in UK ... In italy is possible to stop outside camps what about your country ?

These are the first quest ... I'll post some other in the next days, but if you have suggestions please post to me !

THX a lot

Maurizio
Mail: infocamper@maurifo.com
Visit my Camperweblog www.maurifo.com

Maurizio,
We live in the north of Scotland and have just returned from a fortnight in Brittany. The route we chose was from Dover to Calais as driving to Dover was conciderably cheaper than ferry from either Newcatle, Hull, or Rosyth, but bear in mind it will take three days driving each way if you intend coming as far as Aberdeen.

The best places to see will depend on what you want to see. If you are interested in cities then Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth and Dundee are full of historial interest. If stunning scenery is your thing then the further north you travel the better it will be, with the north west coast offering the most stunning scenery, but remember this is the wettest part of the UK and can be cold too especially if you are used to Italian summer weather, so bring clothing suitable for any possible conditions.

The advice to buy fuel from supermarkets is sound but remember once you get the north they are very far apart and the fuel gets more expensive.

You mention you have an RV so size of vehicle will also be critical in the north, just because it is a red "A" class road on the map does not mean it is wide and hill and sharp bend free, some are single track with passing places. Also remember to look at the scale of your map when visiting Scotland many Atlases and maps use a scale of 1/4 for Scotland whilst only using 1/3 for England. Therefore distances between places will take longer to reach.
As regards wild camping it is not a problem in Scotland as long as you don't cause an obstruction; forestry car parks are great overnight stops.

Come to Scotland and prepare for an adventure and you will really enjoy it, the people are friendly, the country is great and we enjoy living here and touring here.
If we can be of anymore help and encouragement please contact us.

Norman

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site Maurizio. I think you may have confused a few people by saying you have an RV. In the UK that term is normally used to describe an American RV, a rather large vehicle. At 7mtrs yours is not nearly so big and no problem. I have just returned from Scotland where we toured in our 7mtr van. Parking in Scotland is not normally a problem apart from large cities. But a lot of these have out of town park and ride schemes where you park the motorhome and then take the bus into town. so do look out for those. Drop in the chatroom of an evening, there are a few Scottish members who could well be there.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You can get costs for a trip on mappy.com It will calculate kms and fuel used (you can adjust the price in a box on screen) It will also show you the toll charges in France.

I drive regularly from SW France to the UK, and last November went on up to Scotland, then the reverse in March this year.

Get different ferry costs online and then using mappy you can calculate the most economical route.

In Scotland I can recommend visiting Edinburgh and Glasgow, of course, but also the Falkirk Wheel http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk

and St Andrew's, particularly the beach.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back