Buying a private car (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If our new house ever beepin completes we'll need a tip trip car, probably a Freelander 2. We will be full-timing in the motorhome on site until we can get the new house liveable but will also need fetch and carry stuff to/from shops & tip whilst renovating. Would it be a necessary journey to pick up a private car purchase. All the gov guidance seems to relate to dealers & traders and click & collect or delivery but I can't find anything on private purchases.The plan would be to travel to collect by train, pay by bank transfer and then drive the car back to new house with no handover. Quotes for delivery by Shiply are outrageous so don't really want to go that route.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would buy something really cheap locally. If you are going to use it and abuse it like a builders van for a year, there is no point over spending. I would say a train journey to go buy a car privately would be risky under lockdown rules

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Lifted from Car Dealer Magazine:
‘While it is not necessarily a breach of Covid-19 rules to buy a replacement vehicle if required for essential travel, a car swap is not deemed appropriate during the current lockdown restrictions where essential travel only is permitted.’
I'd class it as essential, also if shiply are costing more than the £200 fine which is £100 if paid within 14 days then go for it. :unsure:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
In my experience car buying should be “Eyes on” only. It’s not as if you want a top dollar quality van. And check VIN number against the Reg document.
Lots of rogue’s out there mate.
Mitch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Lifted from Car Dealer Magazine:
‘While it is not necessarily a breach of Covid-19 rules to buy a replacement vehicle if required for essential travel, a car swap is not deemed appropriate during the current lockdown restrictions where essential travel only is permitted.’
I'd class it as essential, also if shiply are costing more than the £200 fine which is £100 if paid within 14 days then go for it. :unsure:
Shiply want to nearly add a 0 on the delivery cost so fine is way more palatable. It's my conscience that's nagging. It won't be a car swap as my only transport is a 8m motorhome which is very restrictive when parking!. I'm convincing myself that it is essential so will probably go for it.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
In my experience car buying should be “Eyes on” only. It’s not as if you want a top dollar quality van. And check VIN number against the Reg document.
Lots of rogue’s out there mate.
Mitch
Ideally I'd give it a full once over before paying but in the current circumstances I'll have to take the punt. I'll still be asking questions and doing the HPI type checks etc beforehand. Anything mechanical doesn't bother me as I can mend it as long as it gets me home. The biggest rogues out there are the garages so that's why I prefer to buy privately.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'm sure you're frightened of all the abuse you've heard is directed at any motorhomes even when driving round doing essential shopping and medical appointments. And I bet you're reluctant to buy a second vehicle to do this, but can't see any other good options, officer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back