Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello

We are off soon on another European Adventure. Mosel, Switzerland, Italian Lakes (maybe) French Alps then heading west into France but keeping south (ish).

This year we will have a 10ft inflatable dinghy with us. Im ok with the Mosel and Switzerland as we kind of know where we are going. What Im looking for is waterside locations in France. We may get as far as the Med but I wasnt that impressed with St Tropez so may stick in the Tarn, Dordogne Area and maybe down to the Pyrenees. chances are we will end up in Brittany on the way back but who knows, Could be Greece!

So anyone know of some nice spots where we can park the van by a lake, sea or river and go for a row?

Cheers
BD

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I can recommend the municipal site at Sable-sur-Sarthe (West of Le Mans) - right by the river - easy to launch yer dinghy. Not busy, nice pool, inexpensive, and a short walk or cycle into town alongside the horse racing track.

Also highly recommend the Grand Reservoir de Voireau. An inexpensive basic campsite there, hardly anyone on it, although we wilded for one night in the carpark field at the end of the lane - a magical spot. Good restaurant right by the campsite, and good cycling and boating. It's situated a couple of clicks North of Joué-sur-Erdre (North of Nantes) off the D178, although you'll have to navigate the minor roads to find it. It's not that easy but the best rewards always repay a bit more effort.

We connected these two places last year as part of a general French meander.:thumb:

If you're in the Var region of the South, the Verdon Gorge is always brilliant. Our favourite spot is away from the crowds right on the North shore of the lake at Sainte-Croix-du-Verdon, but please don't tell anyone......:winky:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi. If you are down past bordeaux in the landes region 2 sites we visited Gastes and sanquinet both beside fabulous lakes also well worth visiting while there is dune du pyla fantastic 110 mtr high sand dune (dont miss it if that way)
Terry

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for the replies. All sounds good. I think I have been to St Croix de Verdon. We didnt explore the gorges though!

Might give it another go.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Thanks for the replies. All sounds good. I think I have been to St Croix de Verdon. We didnt explore the gorges though!

Might give it another go.

The Gorges are wonderful. Coming in from either Castellane or Comps-sur-Artuby, the road runs alongside either the North or South branch of the river, and there are quite a few campsites and excellent waterborne facilities.

I'm afraid you'll have to find your own wilding spots though.........:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Camping du Lacs walking distance Beauville
A campsite walking distance of Entrevaux du Brec big lake swimming and canoes.
Narbonne Plage Aire right behind beach about a minutes walk if that!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't find any municipal info but can recommend La Grand Etang de La Jamaye (sometimes spelt Jemaye) Lake, fishing area, beach with lifeguards, outdoor showers, loos, all immaculate, kids playground, volleyball pitch, cafes, very popular but still beautiful in high season.
Free camping in open or wooded areas.

All my visitors go there and love it.

Link Removed

Also Bourdeilles by the river--free again, much quieter, local castle, close to Brantome.

Call in if you're passing! Link Removed

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I can't find any municipal info but can recommend La Grand Etang de La Jamaye (sometimes spelt Jemaye) Lake, fishing area, beach with lifeguards, outdoor showers, loos, all immaculate, kids playground, volleyball pitch, cafes, very popular but still beautiful in high season.
Free camping in open or wooded areas.

All my visitors go there and love it.

Link Removed

Also Bourdeilles by the river--free again, much quieter, local castle, close to Brantome.

Call in if you're passing! Link Removed

Some great tips. Thanks
Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Campsite Azzurro on the shores of lake Ledro Italy

Stayed here last May, quite site with easy access to the shore nice little village with few bars, restuarants and small supermarket 10 minute walk.:thumb:

And it's in the ACSI book::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back