Importing from germany ... anything changed? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So im looking to change my van , im planning to build my own on a mercedes vario. Not many come up in the uk and i can get better in germany.

But im unsure of whether anything has now changed with regards to importing

It will be over 10 years old .

As far as i believe previously it was a case of export plates fitted to drive from Germany to tunnel and uk insurance on vin number to drive to home address or mot station

Anyone know if this is still the case as i can find nothing on dvla.gov

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So im looking to change my van , im planning to build my own on a mercedes vario. Not many come up in the uk and i can get better in germany.

As far as i believe previously it was a case of export plates fitted to drive from Germany to tunnel and uk insurance on vin number to drive to home address or mot station

We got fully comprehensive insurance on the VIN as van was Ā£30000, think it needed to be under Ā£40000. AIB insurance. 2018 that was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We got fully comprehensive insurance on the VIN as van was Ā£30000, think it needed to be under Ā£40000. AIB insurance. 2018 that was.
This will likely be under Ā£10k as just a panel van

Lucy the Laika

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 410
Exp
I am in the process of bringing my 7yr old 'spanish vat' paid Spanish Laika into the UK to put onto DVLA plates. HMRC currently are asking me to have a valuation (ok) and then pay 20% vat and 10% import duty on the value of it.
(Bought it new and I am the sole owner and are/always been a UK resident.) Ongoing discussions. There seems to be a little uncertainty currently at HMRC regarding all of this.

Wyvern

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, things have changed. Whether you are an individual or business importing/exporting to the EU you will need an EORI number as will the person selling you the van (Economic Operator Registration and Identification number).

if you google EORI.gov this will take you to the excellent Government website where you can apply for one. If you have a .Gov password already (for things like doing your income tax online) then the process is quick and simple. If not then it isnā€™t Quite so straight forward BUT the website walks you through it in a very clear way.

when importing, you will need to complete all customs documentation, again outlined on the website. Preferably, if you can submit the documentation prior to import then makes things easier on the way out of the host and into the U.K.

...and yes, this process applies to anyone....private person or individual.

Welcome to Brexit!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, things have changed. Whether you are an individual or business importing/exporting to the EU you will need an EORI number as will the person selling you the van (Economic Operator Registration and Identification number).

if you google EORI.gov this will take you to the excellent Government website where you can apply for one. If you have a .Gov password already (for things like doing your income tax online) then the process is quick and simple. If not then it isnā€™t Quite so straight forward BUT the website walks you through it in a very clear way.

when importing, you will need to complete all customs documentation, again outlined on the website. Preferably, if you can submit the documentation prior to import then makes things easier on the way out of the host and into the U.K.

...and yes, this process applies to anyone....private person or individual.

Welcome to Brexit!
Im not sure if that will apply to a 11-14 year old vehicle driven over from Germany via the tunnel.

Theres no vat etc due on a vehicle that old

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

Edit, not sure how up to date that page is

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Im not sure if that will apply to a 11-14 year old vehicle driven over from Germany via the tunnel.

Theres no vat etc due on a vehicle that old
Think you will find vat and duty will be payable now no matter how old if you are importing to the UK.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Think you will find vat and duty will be payable now no matter how old if you are importing to the UK.
That's what im trying to find out hence the post ....but both DVLA and hmrc websites are useless at telling me anything.

I want the information before i buy or import a vehicle not after ive committed to one and then have no choice.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That's what im trying to find out hence the post ....but both DVLA and hmrc websites are useless at telling me anything.

I want the information before i buy or import a vehicle not after ive committed to one and then have no choice.
The way it works now is the same as importing something from say the USA same rules apply with Europe now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like I was wrong and you now have to pay vat on used vehicles but no duty on vehicles from the EU.
DVLA have only just updated their website it was unchanged when I looked a couple of weeks ago.
If importing a newish vehicle it would now be cheaper to buy a brand new one.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

Maybe helpful price wise
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looks like I was wrong and you now have to pay vat on used vehicles but no duty on vehicles from the EU.
DVLA have only just updated their website it was unchanged when I looked a couple of weeks ago.
If importing a newish vehicle it would now be cheaper to buy a brand new one.
So more benefits of brexit then

Im not sure how much more good news i can take.

I feel so much better off now everything is so much more complicated and expensive ....i can see why people wanted it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Providing they accept the value as your invoice it will be 20% and that will be offset buy the rising pound.
Depending on age you may need an IVA inspection that's Ā£200 & new headlamps, & mph speedo dial also rear fogs will need to conform to UK standard.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
This website suggests you pay duty in uk for vehicles fom the eu, unless you are in northern ireland.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This website suggests you pay duty in uk for vehicles fom the eu, unless you are in northern ireland.

But vehicles are in the free trade aggeement.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Providing they accept the value as your invoice it will be 20% and that will be offset buy the rising pound.
Depending on age you may need an IVA inspection that's Ā£200 & new headlamps, & mph speedo dial also rear fogs will need to conform to UK standard.
So basically if i buy a van around Ā£10k its going to cost me around another Ā£3 -3.5 to get it to uk mot and register it

Which to be honest makes it not worthwhile

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back