European motorhome breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

europe2011

Free Member
Dec 2, 2010
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
Exp
1st Year
Hi

Going traveling around europe next month for 6 months and looking to get info on breakdown cover for the motorhome. Can anyone recommed some companies that offer a good service at a reasonable price.
Thanks

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Europe,
The cheapest European breakdown cover is without a doubt Green flag, but thanks to Funsters I have discovered a much cheaper option available in Germany called ADAC - their website is www.adac.de and the site has an English translation. The site will outline the options available and should you wish to speak to the company you will find an English speaking operator on Tel. 0049 221 472747.
They are considerably cheaper than Greenflag and offer a more comprehensive cover that can be extended beyond Europe to cover you worldwide.
I have not used them yet as my subscription to Greenflag has not expired but I have kept all the information and intend doing so when I need to renew.

Hope this is helpful.

Norman of normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We are with ADAC.
Can't beat it for price and service.

Maddie

Maddie have you had cause to use their services. Could you comment?

Lots of people have said they offer good cover but I have not managed to find anyone to comment on the service they provide. I would be interested in finding out before I join myself.

Norman of normanandsue

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
ADAC for us too.
Covers my partner and myself and any vehicle that we are using (so that covers our cars, MH and motorbikes!).
Cover in UK provided by the AA. Just renewed for the second year - its around 79.5 euros for plus cover.
Edit - not had cause to use them myself but others report that the service both here and abroad was very good.

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There have been discussions on the motorhome list for some time regarding ADAC & people who have had reason to 'use' the service

P S I have been a member for over a year now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Europe,
The cheapest European breakdown cover is without a doubt Green flag, but thanks to Funsters I have discovered a much cheaper option available in Germany called ADAC - their website is www.adac.de and the site has an English translation. The site will outline the options available and should you wish to speak to the company you will find an English speaking operator on Tel. 0049 221 472747.
They are considerably cheaper than Greenflag and offer a more comprehensive cover that can be extended beyond Europe to cover you worldwide.
I have not used them yet as my subscription to Greenflag has not expired but I have kept all the information and intend doing so when I need to renew.

Hope this is helpful.

Norman of normanandsue

can you tell me how i get the english translation - it's probably quite obvious but just can't seem to find it anywhere.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, my friend used RAC thru c c/c when he had his breakdown last year they were first class .He had only joined at dover on way to ferry, second day into hols sunday cambelt went on motorway in france had to pay french breakdown company who took him to campsite he then phoned RAC who arranged to pick him and family up also old m/h at end of hols returning them to UK then back on I.o.W. they also refunded french breakdown costs. I think he was only covered for duration of 10 day hols

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This needs to be checked so dont quote me as I cant remember off hand but I looked at changing from my Safeguard Insurance and inclusive breakdown cover and considered ADAC and a few others as ADAC would also include our bike. I seem to remember there was a single trip limit but I Cant remember how long. I think many of the breakdown service and indeed EU insurance have single trip limits and they can check as they will ask proof of ferry departures etc.

In the end I stuck with Safe Guard as they cover the van and the breakdown for a whole year overseas.

Dont shoot me down everyone if Im wrong but it is worth checking the limits of any cover for long trips out of the UK.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Barryd

I agree, I was intending to change to ADAC, but :

A trip is a distance of more than 50 km.

A trip in Europe: a claim has to be made before 92 days from start of trip.

Out side Europe, this is reduced to 45 days.

Thats my understanding.:Angry:

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Maddie have you had cause to use their services. Could you comment?

Lots of people have said they offer good cover but I have not managed to find anyone to comment on the service they provide. I would be interested in finding out before I join myself.

Norman of normanandsue

So sorry, Norman that I did not answer you before but did not see the message.

You can pay either for 1 card or, as we have, for 2 cards. We travel a lot apart and this would be the best option for us. I think that the price for 1 card was 74 euro's and we paid 94 euro's. Might be a euro out. It is the person that is covered and not the vehicle. If you are driving somebody's car and break down, you are covered.

Besides the breakdown cover , it will cover you medically as well to a certain extend. Even if my son ( 16 years old ) is traveling and he would fall ill abroad, they will get him treatment or fly him home.

Hope this helps.

Maddie

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Hi Barryd

I believe that these limits apply to the PLUS personal benefits and not to the breakdown cover:thumb:.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Barryd

As I understand it if you take out ADAC plus you are effectively buying two services.

1. Vehicle services (breakdown, tyre change, roadside repair etc..)
2. Personal Services (almost like travel insurance, this is where you can have medical repatriation etc)

ADAC HAndbook.....

2 What is protected?
The protection of ADACPlus Membership includes Europe-wide services such as vehicle breakdown assistance, Accident or Vehicles twist. The ADACPlus Member and all his family are protected. Motor vehicles of the family, all vehicles not subject to authorization by the family and all third party vehicles. The vehicle must be within certain sizes and weights (for details see Section 3 of group insurance conditions for the ADACPlus Membership).
The protection includes worldwide personal benefits for ADACPlus Members and their family in illness, injury and death.
The personal benefits are valid for travel to more than 50 km (distance) away from the residence. In Europe there is protection for travel up to 92 days, outside Europe up to 45 days (calculated at the time of the damage).

The benefits relating to illness, injury, death and other emergencies (§§ 12–22)
apply when you are on a journey. A journey means that you are more than 50 km
(distance covered) from your place of residence.

Section 5 When do you have travel protection?
1. The performance after illness, injury, death and whose emergencies (Sections 12-22) apply if you are on a trip there.
2.A trip is when you have journeyed more than 50 km (distance) away from the residence on hold.

So as i read it your vehicles, car. motorhome, motobike are covered anywhere, but you have to be 50 km from your residence to be entitled to "repatriation, death benefits, financial assistance, emergency loan etc." These are the ADAC Plus "personal benefits".

Hope this helps and makes sense. I'm no good at this" cut n paste" milarkey...
I'm sure these must be funsters who have called ADAC out close to home and can confirm my understanding...:thumb::thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Thanks for the clarification Cullumwa,

I've looked again and agree, so its ADAC on board again for us, :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Download the ADAC Handbook with Terms & Conditions
here Link Removed

I would be concerened about the max towing cover being only €200

Section 25 Towing
1.The protected vehicle is within the scope of Europe and is no longer driveable because of a breakdown, an accident or there was a theft, whether damaged or undamaged, recovered (not yet in foreign ownership).
2. We cover the costs of towing up to the total of €200. The cost of transporting luggage and
contents will be added up to a total of €200, if shipment with the vehicle is not possible.
3.Necessary backup and Toll charges will be accepted. Under backup charge is the cost
incurred to prevent further damage to the vehicle.
4. Costs for vehicles and their cargo, which were seized by police or have been impounded will not be covered.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive just dug out some old email correspondence from ADAC and there were two questions I really wanted clarification on.

1. The maximum trip journey for breakdown cover.

Answer 3 months max

2. The max cost of a breakdown recovery town outside of Germany or UK.

Answer 200 Euros max. This is the max they will give you back for the initial tow to a garage. They will still take your vehicle back to the UK if its beyond repair but 200 euros isnt much to get towed off a French motorway if its 50 miles to the nearest Garage and you have to pay and claim it back.

I think ADAC could take the UK insurance and breakdown cover by storm if they just tightned up a bit on the clarity of their offering and dropped the 3 month trip limit or charged extra as an option for longer trips. The info is patchy and hard to pull together. I got different answers in differnet emails from different people but the feedback I have seen on many forums for recovery is good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back