No need for C1 medical for 12 months (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2018
Redruth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Peg 590
Exp
since 2009
I will be 70 in april this year, so I applied for the D4 form for a medical exam because our motorhome is a 4000Kg A class.
Recieved it over weekend and today phoned our doctor to make an appointment. Twenty minutes later I was told that I would not be able to have an examination in the near future. Not urgent.
I then phoned DVLA on 0300 790 6801 and joined the queue. 15 minutes later I spoke to a live assistant and explained the circumstances. He told me that at this time and for the next 12 months you do not need to see a doctor or fill in a D4 medical form, Just send in the D2 application. You still have to post this in, you CANNOT apply online for C1/D1 categories. I also enclosed a letter explaining all this just to be sure, but that is not mandatory.

Hopes this helps if you need your C1 urgently. You can double check on the above number, but be prepared to wait for an operator.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Mine is also coming up for renewal and I thought this to be the case but there is nothing conveying this information on the web site. You would think they would tell you this with your renewal notice!
ezee

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I think we need it in writing! going on past form you could phone up,get a different operative and be told the opposite🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
D4 doctors are doing medical for C1 rang yesterday and booking in two weeks time for medical start of April

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
After reading the OP I rang my GP about a medical as my licence expires mid May on my 70th, the answer I got was "don't you think I have more important things to do at the moment" He's always been a rude man.

So I rang the DVLA and, obligatory 15 minute wait later, I spoke to Marcus who told me that Yes, you do still require a medical to keep your C1 on Grandpa rights.

I explained that my doctor wouldn't accommodate a medical so he said I should just renew my standard licence and reclaim my C1 at a later date.

I said I thought that once you had foregone the C1 you could not reclaim it but he said you could reclaim it at any future point, so I said fine but I need it with the renewal in order to drive my motorhome, he said he couldn't help any further and I would have to try my doctor again as he is obliged to give me the medical, them's the rules?

Wondering now if I should ignore him and just do as Wizzardi is doing

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
After reading the OP I rang my GP about a medical as my licence expires mid May on my 70th, the answer I got was "don't you think I have more important things to do at the moment" He's always been a rude man.

So I rang the DVLA and, obligatory 15 minute wait later, I spoke to Marcus who told me that Yes, you do still require a medical to keep your C1 on Grandpa rights.

I explained that my doctor wouldn't accommodate a medical so he said I should just renew my standard licence and reclaim my C1 at a later date.

I said I thought that once you had foregone the C1 you could not reclaim it but he said you could reclaim it at any future point, so I said fine but I need it with the renewal in order to drive my motorhome, he said he couldn't help any further and I would have to try my doctor again as he is obliged to give me the medical, them's the rules?

Wondering now if I should ignore him and just do as Wizzardi is doing

I didn't expect to be proved right so quickly when I said if you spoke to another operative you would get the opposite answer 😀

The last thing you want to be doing is trying to 'reclaim' your C1 entitlement.If your doctor won't do it use D4 drivers

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff’s was due this month, so we contacted D4Drivers in December, did the ‘medical’, and received the licence within 3 weeks. I wouldn’t like to trust anything the DVLA say about claiming it later on!

OP
OP
Wizzardi
Oct 31, 2018
Redruth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Peg 590
Exp
since 2009
Bloody Hell, the roads are going to be full of doddery old farts that don't hold the correct licence.
God Help us! :X3::rofl::imoutahere:
You shouldnt be afraid of old farts with incorrect licences, you should be worried about incompetent b**st**s who should never own a licence to begin with. This old fart rides the 200mph zzr in the avatar with an advanced riders licence :giggle:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Checked with my surgery and they are still doing D4 medicals and I have mine booked for the end of the month and will submit my renewal as normal for a 3 year licence which I would prefer. It will give me more certainty.
ezee

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Bloody Hell, the roads are going to be full of doddery old farts that don't hold the correct licence.
God Help us! :X3::rofl::imoutahere:
Thought it already was,,BUSBY,,

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We had to go to a solicitor last week with our ID. We took our driving licences with us and when she looked at them they had expired last September- whoops! I looked on line and it said all licences that expired during Covid were extended for 10 months. However I renewed them online last weekend and they arrived yesterday!

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
When I applied last September had medical and sent D2and D4 off and as they required me to have exercise ECG in 2017 they sent me a 1 year licence and will accept 2020 medical when I apply this year and will have to pass which ever procedure they require to gain 3 year licence

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Only HGV licences (above 7500kg) are being renewed with out a medical for one year
I received my d4 /d48 and a Voch1 forms today
i rang Dvla and was told that if my doctor is not doing Medical’s , to fill out the voch1 and d48 forms and return them to the Dvla , d4 not required to be retuned
the voch1 form is basically asking any change to your condition and you giving the Dvla consent to to see your doctors records

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I know doctors will charge different amounts for full Medicals but what sort of price have you been charged to have your own doctor?
I will try to phone my doc tomorrow (if I can get through) to ask but look forward to hearing from you.
I will be 70 at the beginning of April and will hopefully be applying to keep my C1 soon.
thanks

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
My Doctor was quite expensive last time I used him at £120 ( it includes the eye test) but I believe it is less hassle to use your own doctor who is well aware of your health. I believe the DVLA is inheritantly suspicious otherwise and it might lead to more checks, indeed they have gone so far as to state they will not accept medicals performed by at least one organisations. I think the Government recommended price for doctors to charge is £80

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks. I’ll check today with my doctor.
Is £120 a cost others pay? Just wondered what cost over the country is.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My Doctor was quite expensive last time I used him at £120 ( it includes the eye test) but I believe it is less hassle to use your own doctor who is well aware of your health. I believe the DVLA is inheritantly suspicious otherwise and it might lead to more checks, indeed they have gone so far as to state they will not accept medicals performed by at least one organisations. I think the Government recommended price for doctors to charge is £80
I used my GP again £120. I submitted my application a few days before Christmas, received by them 22 December, new license issued 18 January valid until 29 February 2024 i.e 3 years from expiry of previous license. I think you may be right about the GP report having a smoother passage.

I made sure I got the application to them with more than 56 days remaining on the old one. This means that I did not have to submit a new photo, they use the old one and there is no fee to pay. I am also wondering if this also helps to speedup the handling in the DVLA. I was a bit surprised that the new license runs for 3 years from the expiry date of the old one, having read previously that some Funsters had theirs run for 3 years from the renewal. Perhaps the 56 days makes a difference to this as well? There certainly seems to be something significant about 56 days.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I paid £120 three years ago. Will be ringing my GP next week to establish if he is conducting C1 medicals and establish his cost.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
My GP charged me £112 .00 31/2 year ago looks as if it was free when i had medical with him last August still not received bill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back