12V plug - what can I use it for? (1 Viewer)

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
New to the motorhoming thing obviously and I have this 12V plug in the van that I assume is wired to the leisure battery, and i'm not sure what I can do with it...

$(KGrHqN,!jkE1I92hRnkBN(kEejY8w~~0_12.JPG

The sort of things I want to charge are pretty standard ie. mobile phones and laptops

Also, if I want to buy, for example, a mobile phone charging cable that plugs into the 12V plug, what search term should I be using? I always get results for cables that plug into the cigarette lighter adapter and that's going to the engine battery, right?

I have read about these inverter things as well, can you get ones that plug into the 12V plug? If anyone can recommend one it would be appreciated. :thumb:

Thanks in advance for any tips. Sorry if I'm reposting, I did have a good search on the forum first and couldn't find anything that succinctly answered my questions...

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

You can buy a plug that fits into the socket that has a cigarette lighter bit on the end of it. These will then charge through the leisure battery.
They are about £5. Im sure that someone will come along and give you more information.

Sonja

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
You can get an adaptor to convert it to a cigar lighter fitting to allow you to charge your mobile phone from a standard car charger- something like this Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We have one like that and use a lead from the tv to that socket when we are on 12v. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The idea is sound and is doable but that particular plugin the link isn't for the socket you have shown
I have the plug that fits your socket so it is available, Most caravan shops, note the correct plug you require has two flat blades one slightly wider than the other, the one shown in the link photos has 2 same size blades set at a strange angle to each other'it would be a simple job to get that adapter and swop the plug for the right one
Those sockets were intended for 12V table lamps, TVs etc
Geo

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks for the replies everyone ...

Geo - this looks like the correct 2 pin plug Link Removed ... what do you think?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
12v socket

thanks for the replies everyone ...

Geo - this looks like the correct 2 pin plug Link Removed ... what do you think?

Looking at the price quoted you can buy a 12v cigar socket cheaper, just remove the socket you have and wire in the new 12v outlet, save having that cable hanging around so will look a whole lot neater.:thumb:

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking at the price quoted you can buy a 12v cigar socket cheaper, just remove the socket you have and wire in the new 12v outlet, save having that cable hanging around so will look a whole lot neater.:thumb:

where might I find a 12v cigar socket that matches the size and colour of the existing outlet(s)? I've had a search but didn't come up with anything....

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Yes be careful there are two types. I have the same socket as you and in the end I took a photo and went along to my local caravan shop and got the right one for about a fiver. We use it for our telly.

I do wish there were more sockets around the van though. I tend to use the cab socket when at the front dinette working on the laptop but you have to be careful as too long and the battery will go flat and the van wont start! Did it once but had a new battery since then.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
where might I find a 12v cigar socket that matches the size and colour of the existing outlet(s)? I've had a search but didn't come up with anything....

A surface mount gig. socket won't look as neat as the one you have got. If there is a chance I always change the plug for one like you saw on Ebay. You cannot do it with all appliances because some have special moulded plug but replacement is the neatest option, but not the cheapest. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back