LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Keep getting error 99, checked the web and tried most of the fixes.

Sent a mail to Canon, they sent some instructions,,, if all fails sent it back to them,,,

Question, has anyone ever sent a camera back to be repaired and would it be worth the effort? Cost could be as big as the value of the camera...

Thoughts?

ShiftZZ

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Guys..

This was the reply from Canon, most fo which I have tried, I will do the download when I get home...

Thank you for contacting Canon.

We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your Canon product.

With reference to your enquiry regarding error 99 in the EOS 400D, this error is normally caused by an error between the lens and the body. Has this problem occurred after using a different lens? To eliminate the error, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.
3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.
5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. Does the "ERR 99" message appear? If it does, then the camera should be serviced.

If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of steps.

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Insert the CF card.
3. Turn on the camera.
4. Format the CF card in the camera.
5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. Does the "ERR 99? message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the camera body.
3. Reattach your lens.
4. Turn on the camera.
5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. If the "ERR 99? message only appears when one particular lens is attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician.

If the problem persists, you may be able to upgrade to the latest firmware version to see if this eliminates the problem, however, you must be able to have access to the menus of the camera to perform this. The latest firmware upgrade can be obtained via the following link:

Link Removed

If you see the "ERR 99? code with a different Canon lens attached, then the camera should be sent for service.

If you have decided that the camera needs to be sent for service, a list of repair centres can be obtained via the following link:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx

You need to select Digital SLR from the dropdown menu and relevant country. You need to include in your package a covering letter detailing the problem, proof of purchase if an in-warranty repair (within 12 months of purchase) and a return address. You will be liable for all associated costs for out of warranty repair.

We hope this information is of use to you. If you have any other queries, or need any other information, please do not hesitate to reply directly to this email.

ShiftZZ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just for information Dave,

i dont know if the software for the 400 is vastly different to the 350D (mine) but there are no Canon drivers for windows 7 (64bit).

i cant run any Canon utilities (not compatible with win 7) but by changing the camera's communication method from PC to Print/PTP (in the camera's menu) the camera will connect to your PC/laptop and open in a windows photo program...mine being windows picture viewer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ToolsandPowerTools

Trader - Generator Sales
Jun 7, 2011
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One
Exp
Haven't Yet
Keep getting error 99, checked the web and tried most of the fixes.

Sent a mail to Canon, they sent some instructions,,, if all fails sent it back to them,,,

Question, has anyone ever sent a camera back to be repaired and would it be worth the effort? Cost could be as big as the value of the camera...

Thoughts?

ShiftZZ

I've fixed error99 with a firmware update in the past, silly question, were you getting a 99 on other lens attached to your body?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I have the latest firmware, tried everything suggested by Canon, they suspect that its a shutter problem..

Ta

ShiftZZ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back