5th gear mod on Fiats (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
While at Thetford I chatted to a couple of people who have had the 5th gear replaced with a taller gear to improve consumption. I was talking to my local Fiat dealer today who had never heard of doing this, so my questions are:-
Is this a Fiat conversion or a third party mod?
What happens if it is 3rd party and there is a costly gearbox failure?
What was the cost of the conversion?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
While at Thetford I chatted to a couple of people who have had the 5th gear replaced with a taller gear to improve consumption. I was talking to my local Fiat dealer today who had never heard of doing this, so my questions are:-
Is this a Fiat conversion or a third party mod?
What happens if it is 3rd party and there is a costly gearbox failure?
What was the cost of the conversion?

Cost is round £300 +vat
Only genuine parts are used we have done about half a dozen for folk on here and the dark side
drops around 500-600 rmp for same road speed
Geo
ps as its only 5th gears set that is altered no one can be held responsable for any other gear or fault ocuring so only 5th gear set is warranted after conversion
pps your right Fiat don't know what parts to supply you with

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its only a couple of hrs job But we prefer you to leave van over night
for the special Fiat selalent to set properly we have however sent em out same day if its a must, I know we could use ordinary silicone instant gasket but we dont, all Fiat parts and sealants as specified
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
That's interesting Mr Geo. Is this something you have been keeping quiet?

Have any of your customer's told you what the MPG gain was/is?

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Paul a friend of ours Dinger had it done recently and raves about the difference.
I dont know what the fuel consumption change is though.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That's interesting Mr Geo. Is this something you have been keeping quiet?

Have any of your customer's told you what the MPG gain was/is?[/QUOTE

Yeah TOP SECRET mate keep it to yourself
The conversions we have carried out have all but one, have been German built vans
All have said how much better the vans cruise at 65MPH using aprox 500RPM less than they did before to cruise@ 65MPH
In order for it to work you must have the gearbox that needs about 2800 RPM to cruise at 65
and we drop it to aprox 2300
No one has reported back with consumption figures:Doh:
Geo

DINGER

Free Member
Jan 14, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido
Exp
since 2006
new 5th Gear

It was I that has just had my 5 th gear done locally , and obtained the Fiat part numbers from Essanjay down in Poole Dorset. They knew straight away what was needed and was happy to pass the numbers on as it was not convenient or cost effective to make a 260 mile round trip to Dorset from kent.

Geo was also very helpful when i posed my dilema so if you are nearer to him then his your man..:thumb:

The differnce in the drive is much more relaxed motoring when pushing on at 65/68 mph it now pulls 2500revs instead of the screaming 3000 rpm.

I,m still running on 15inch wheels so if they were replaced then no doubt the revs would drop a tad more.

Just to add more confusion Hymer i,am informed, ship vans out with different final gearing so its a bit pot luck..:whatthe: Yes fuel consumtion has improved but my driving style does not make the best of it :ROFLMAO:

Dinger

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'm still mulling over whether to have it done or not. My concern is that as I tow a trailer which weighs the best part of a ton when loaded I might struggle to maintain 5th gear on inclines and therefore would be worse off with the fuel consumption.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Fiat 5th gear mod

Hi, had mune done a few weeks ago. Does 55 at 2000 revs, used to do 40 at 2000revs when cruising. So you get an decrease of fuel consumption of 15/40th's :ROFLMAO:

Also had remapping done by wow, and the 2 together has made a great difference,

S

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have spoken with Geo and we are not sure if this mod will benefit me because of the way I use the motorhome. I nearly always tow the trailer with a gross weight of approx. 1 tonne. As a result I am not sure that the benefits that I would get through cruising at a steady 60mph on flat/downhill roads would not be offset by having to drop down one or more gears on inclines. Does anyone have experience of having their fifth gear modded and also towing a heavy trailer?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
When I first bought a fiat motorhome I asked about the failure of top gear on the engine, mainly because I had hear about it as being a common failure and I know of two friends that have had to have repairs done.

In info that came back was that the top gear is at the physical top of the casing and at low revs/speed does not get enough oil thrown up to it and it was suggested that it was advised not to be in top gear at anything less that 40 MPH. Any comments.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back