Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I am looking at buying an e bike for her indoors for our trip to France in 10 days time.What i would like to know is could the 36v battery be charged with an inverter if so what would i need and what would it cost.Thanks Guys.:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you stay on sites then why not use the hookup and charge as normal.

if off hookup then the charger connected to an inverter would do the job but ensure the leisure battery doesnt get flattened.

as for what you need....

depends on the charge rate of the e battery but a 300watt inverter would probably do the job.

simply connect the inverter to your leisure battery and plug in the 36v charger.

cost.....how longs a piece of string.
probably pick up an inverter for £30 or less but some chargers wont work properly on a 'standard' inverter so you may need a pure sinewave inverter.....considerably more expensive.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

For a 24 volt bike battery I use an inverter rated at 60 watts continuous 90 watt peak. For a 36 volt battery you would need a larger inverter. Mine are 240 watt batteries and take around 4 hours to charge so 240/4 = 60 (not allowing for losses) so I am pushing it but it works OK and nothing gets hot. I have checked the voltage off the inverter when on load and it is fine. I would look at Maplin or Roadpro for a inverter.

As has been said do watch the drain on the leisure battery, I had a solar panel on or charged off the vehicle supply whilst driving.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
E Bike Battery

Sorry don't know the size of our bike batteries, but we took 2 bikes to Europe last time we went.

We only have 1 x 110 AH leisure battery so we only charged the bike batteries when driving.

It worked for us.

Good Luck and Enjoy the trip.
June

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am looking at buying an e bike for her indoors for our trip to France in 10 days time.What i would like to know is could the 36v battery be charged with an inverter if so what would i need and what would it cost.Thanks Guys.:Blush:

36V battery rings alarm bells, make sure you buy only Lithium battery now. I've seen bikes with 3 x 12V lead acid batteries, so heavy like picking up a motorbike.

Yes an inverter will be OK.

Problem: Your bike battery will half drain a single leisure battery.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Thanks to everyone who replied.Yes Brian have not purchased yet and they would be lithium.
Are these bikes realy worth the outlay as they would only be used for leisure and hardly ever be used on road.Look forward to replys.:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are these bikes really worth the outlay as they would only be used for leisure and hardly ever be used on road.Look forward to replys.:Blush:

Definitely. Lake Garda last year, we were about half a mile from town, with the bikes we could nip in and along the lake front in minutes and cover much more than we could on foot. We explored every back alley of the town, much pedestrianised.

Not a whole lot of use later up a Swiss mountain miles from anywhere.

Year before, Torre del Mar. Campsite on edge of town, we had 8 miles of glorious sea front to pedal.

Time and time again they have greatly improved the holiday.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Thanks for reply Brian. Looking at Alien for gent's special and possibly getting a kit to wife's new step-through, both 36v. In Malcesine(Hotel Lago di Garda) on Garda 2009 and loved it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Looking at Alien for gent's special and possibly getting a kit to wife's new step-through

I might be wrong but Larrywin of FUN said something about selling his two aliens to get something else. A PM might benefit both of you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back