LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I suspect but don’t ‘know’ that given the explosion of off grid vans there will be councils creating more local restrictions on parking up. Near me there is an area that one or two MoHo’s stay over night never seen them do this for more than two consecutive nights however now there are two full timers that never move and have cars parked by them it’s only a matter of time before restrictions are in place and they are moved on.
Yep but having been a member of several of the fulltime vanlife groups ive seen that as soon as councils create restrictions vanlifers find a way round them.

Eventually they will concede that they only move the problem and dont actually fix it

That said this year partly due to covid and an increase in motorhomes ,campers etc there are nee places in the planning etc

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Isn't there a bit of the 'new age traveller' thing from the 80's going on here. Opting out of the rat race, living the hippy life carefree and happy. It's a powerful romantic idea - just pack in your job, buy a van, do it up, and live life on the road.

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
I suspect but don’t ‘know’ that given the explosion of off grid vans there will be councils creating more local restrictions on parking up. Near me there is an area that one or two MoHo’s stay over night never seen them do this for more than two consecutive nights however now there are two full timers that never move and have cars parked by them it’s only a matter of time before restrictions are in place and they are moved on.
Exactly the same round my way...we've lost nearly all of our park ups ..signs and barriers...I've nothing against full timers it's the ones that just live in one place ..they are as thick as shit .can't see what's going to happen ..I've even tried to explain to them but all they say is I pay tax and can park where I want..

Ahhhh🤬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Exactly the same round my way...we've lost nearly all of our park ups ..signs and barriers...I've nothing against full timers it's the ones that just live in one place ..they are as thick as shit .can't see what's going to happen ..I've even tried to explain to them but all they say is I pay tax and can park where I want..

Ahhhh🤬
Unfortunately some do not understand what is in their best interest it’s a shame fir those who do full time and mindful of their impact on the locality. No one minds if they stop over once or twice a month

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Isn't there a bit of the 'new age traveller' thing from the 80's going on here. Opting out of the rat race, living the hippy life carefree and happy. It's a powerful romantic idea - just pack in your job, buy a van, do it up, and live life on the road.
The dog on a string is the giveaway.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would normally whole-hearted agree. However given current restrictions I'd be more concerned if they moved.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Sadly it’s changed the toilet habits of a great many of them! I am absolutely appalled at the numbers that go in the bushes morning,noon,and night.
I have witnessed this constantly whilst on our current trip.
There are now so many Camper Vans staying on Aires etc that do not have full facilities as required to meet the criteria of being allowed to stay.
sorry can you explain "do not have full facilities as required to meet the criteria of being allowed to stay" in an Aire. I have travelled across France and never seen any rules that state you need a toilet to stay?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
sorry can you explain "do not have full facilities as required to meet the criteria of being allowed to stay" in an Aire. I have travelled across France and never seen any rules that state you need a toilet to stay?
Probably comes under the guise of being 'self-contained' etc and not 'damaging' the area ... if you have to cr@p outside you aren't meeting that.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
In my travels across Europe this summer I've come across places where antisocial people have left human waste and toilet paper that is barely hidden in bushes or at the side of the path and from my observation the vast majority is in tourist hotspots where hoards of people have come in cars and once one person throws down their tissue everyone else thinks 'why not'

Another place I've observed it, when out mountain biking, is just off the road on access tracks in the countyside just outside towns. These are not scenic places that van lifers would choose to park up but i think young people drive out in their cars and do what young people do at night away from prying eyes particularly during covid times now they can't go clubbing or anywhere after 10pm. Reduced inhibitions and darkness mean they don't even realise the mess they are leaving behind.

A responsible van dweller would not go to the loo close to the carpark, they would leave only biodegradable products well buried and remove everything else to a bin. Obviously a small minority of any section of society will ruin it for everyone else but it saddens me to see motorhomers on here blaming people living in vans for this problem.
If a 'responsible' house or flat owner had no facilities would it be acceptable that they used other people's land and local areas to 'responsibly' leave their personal waste? And why presume that vandwellers who haven't been responsible enough to choose to live in a vehicle with some sort of portapotti will be responsible enough to bury their waste and put soiled paper sealed in a bag into a bin? And what about when a vandweller without facilities is ill, perhaps serious diarrhoea and/or an infectious illness. Where do they go to the toilet then so that their illness is not spread to local wildlife and the environment.
We all have responsibility for our environment and I cannot see why any vandweller should not be expected to carry a small porta potti with them. The space for that should be a priority before other things such as a TV or BBQ.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Probably comes under the guise of being 'self-contained' etc and not 'damaging' the area ... if you have to cr@p outside you aren't meeting th

Probably comes under the guise of being 'self-contained' etc and not 'damaging' the area ... if you have to cr@p outside you aren't meeting that.
Sorry but he is saying that "Camper Vans" are bad (can't use the word crap) and making people who own motorhomes look bad........... My god look through the old posts on here about MH'ers dropping gray waste on the road whilst driving, leaving their rubbish behind........ etc etc.
At the end of the day Campervan owners are the same as motorhome owners - there are good ones and bad ones.
There more to life than sh!ting in the woods...................................

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It definitely comes under having ”full facilities “ on board and its in the French Aires directory. I have witnessed a Camper being refused entry on a Camper Car Parks Aire when an Ambassador was present in Sedan for not having a Toilet.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
It definitely comes under having ”full facilities “ on board and its in the French Aires directory. I have witnessed a Camper being refused entry on a Camper Car Parks Aire when an Ambassador was present in Sedan for not having a Toilet.
Send me link to this please I would like to read it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I have the book.
What book is that? as I have never heard that it is a requirement by French law. {Perhaps written by an English person who thought would be a good idea to add it. I'll go and dig out our French aires book.

By the way, I fully agree a toilet should be carried, but do not believe it is a requirment.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sadly it’s changed the toilet habits of a great many of them! I am absolutely appalled at the numbers that go in the bushes morning,noon,and night.
There are now so many Camper Vans staying on Aires etc that do not have full facilities as required to meet the criteria of being allowed to stay.
We saw it loads on the continent in Germany in 2019, small camper vans with no loos, all nipping in the bushes, French, Dutch, English.

The French were the worst we saw, on stellplatze in lovely locations, it really gives motorhoming a bad name.

Why don’t they get porta potty’s and empty in the disposal point?

it became a running joke with me and Caz saying when we got to the next one”How many will we see at this one doing it”

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
It believe it is a requirement of using France Passion sites, though these of course are privately owned. We use them occasionally in our campervan and have only once been asked if we had 'facilities' on board. It would be awful to think of people staying at a France Passion site and then using it as a lavatory.

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We saw it loads on the continent in Germany in 2019, small camper vans with no loos, all nipping in the bushes, French, Dutch, English.

The French were the worst we saw, on stellplatze in lovely locations, it really gives motorhoming a bad name.

it became a running joke with me and Caz saying when we got to the next one”How many will we see at this one doing it”
We first saw it happening in Iceland. Small vans, often with garish decals, were equipped with a mattress in the back and a one-pan burner. They would drive off-road (definitely illegal in Iceland) or just stop by the sides of roads or on beaches.
Last year in Scotland we were at a stop parked near to a 'living in van' with no facilities. In the morning I saw the man going to the river with a bucket. I don't think it was a new way of catching fish!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We first saw it happening in Iceland. Small vans, often with garish decals, were equipped with a mattress in the back and a one-pan burner. They would drive off-road (definitely illegal in Iceland) or just stop by the sides of roads or on beaches.
Last year in Scotland we were at a stop parked near to a 'living in van' with no facilities. In the morning I saw the man going to the river with a bucket. I don't think it was a new way of catching fish!
Most of the ones we saw weren’t DIY vans though with just a mattress chucked in the back they were proper conversions, VW California’s etc

They shouldn’t be allowed to build or sell them without a built in toilet or a porta potty included in the price.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I was on a site in Tours a few years back that had full facilities.

A French bloke gets out of his van one morning and just did a piss at the side of his pitch and then went back inside his van.

Disgusting.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I can’t bring myself to do it! that’s collect their shat and deposit it on their doorstep, l have actually done it twice with dog shat when a neighbour (2) didn’t clear up after it and the problem was solved the look on their faces when they open the door and you say “ l think this is yours” is priceless.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Like many, I do follow some vanlifers on You Tube, a very mixed bunch indeed, but all that I follow, are responsible types in terms of doing things properly and leaving no trace etc.
I like the way they tell their story to involve their regular viewers, the ones I follow are excellent photographers, and video editors, so watching them on a regular basis becomes enlightening especially when they travel to places that I have never been to...as yet.
When watching their regular twice weekly updates, it soon becomes obvious that they spend most of each day when on the move filming/recording, meaning they have to stop set up various static cameras to walk past, drive past, then there is fantastic drone footage thrown in also to make every journey more enjoyable for their regular you tube viewers. They like to think they are sharing their experiences with us, and they do to great extent, covering all, both good and bad.

They rely on You Tube subscribers and the number of hits (viewings) to eek out a meagre income, and it can take them years of hard work in most cases to get a decent fan base of followers just to cover their diesel, travel costs.
One thing that soon becomes apparent however is that most realise at some point they need a base to work from, either a home or ideally maybe a piece of land.
They seem to reach a point in life where travelling full time in vans becomes boring for 365 days a year ,it all becomes a bit stale, they need a home base to return to, many in The UK as they have friends & family over here.

They have taught me many things over the years, especially on the do's & don'ts for extended travel, what's essential, and what's practical, in terms of living in a van/mh off grid for the most part, in all seasons, if I ever get lucky enough to be in that position.

I do get angry though, when I see vanlifers in self builds with no shower/toilet facilities, probably just a potty, staying near a beach somewhere in say Portugal or Spain or indeed anywhere without moving, with no facilities, for 3/4/6 weeks along with others that have followed in convoy, as I, like most of you are thinking surely you cant all bury your black waste, along with all their pets waste in the same place for long, without ruining the place for everyone.

One vanlifer was posted on here by a funster earlier this week to highlight a possible way around the 90/180 travel rule in Portugal, then it turns out they have bought a small piece of land, and a lot of paperwork to do this.
I ended up shaking my head at them when they awoke at one of their favourite wild spots to the sound of lorries and diggers, all of which had come to install large rock bolders & height restriction barriers, because the local council has had enough of them being camped up for weeks on end, with no facilities, so I can imagine the mess that is there.

Sadly I think we have joined the MH touring fraternity a bit too late, as most of the free camping spaces will be restricted in future because of the huge numbers of people these days wanting to do it, albeit for 3 months of the year, not even fulltime.

Apps like Park4 Nite have not helped in this regard, as anywhere that is "Free" or was once "wild" is now well known about, and will inevitably get packed in high season, with the minority spoiling it for the rest, then inevitably height restriction measures will be put in place to stop it in future years.

To stay at many places/locations we may have to use other apps to find legal, even fee based places to stay, which although sad in many ways is a true reflection of the way some places have been abused, and the cost of cleaning them up.

A long term campsite for me at least would not be a welcomed option, as we bought a van to tour in, not a static, but everyone's different, with different needs/likes, so hopefully there will always be the option of .....you pays your money you takes your choice.
Best wishes to all.
LES

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
The
Most of the ones we saw weren’t DIY vans though with just a mattress chucked in the back they were proper conversions, VW California’s etc

They shouldn’t be allowed to build or sell them without a built in toilet or a porta potty included in the price.
These weren't DIY vans either, They were commercially hired vans for tourists. Why Iceland still allows them I do not know. Some of them now have all sorts of equipment but not a port potti. I suppose they would say the hirers are supposed to use campsites and it would be interesting to know how many do.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The

These weren't DIY vans either, They were commercially hired vans for tourists. Why Iceland still allows them I do not know. Some of them now have all sorts of equipment but not a port potti. I suppose they would say the hirers are supposed to use campsites and it would be interesting to know how many do.
Yes I can understand the middle of no where wild camping with a shovel but not stellplatze, it’s perfectly obvious what they are doing, in fact you can see them, some of the French ladies just did it and it appears think nothing of it, as if it’s perfectly normal. And before you ask Chris I wasn’t deliberating watching them.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
I was on a site in Tours a few years back that had full facilities.

A French bloke gets out of his van one morning and just did a piss at the side of his pitch and then went back inside his van.

Disgusting.
French see (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I think there is a lot of motorhome snobbery here. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones...................

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
I was parked on a beach in Greece, along the way was a French van , looked like they had been there a while,
Went for a walk past his M/H along rocks and there was literally sh*t everywhere,
Cannot say if it was him as didn't see him doing it, but there was no one else around.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry but he is saying that "Camper Vans" are bad (can't use the word crap) and making people who own motorhomes look bad...........
No he isn't ... just from what he's witnessed a lot of them:

My god look through the old posts on here about MH'ers dropping gray waste on the road whilst driving, leaving their rubbish behind........ etc etc.
At the end of the day Campervan owners are the same as motorhome owners - there are good ones and bad ones.
There more to life than sh!ting in the woods...................................
Agreed, but basic toilet facilities it is the ONE thing that you should really have, there is NO excuse whatsoever for doing your 'business' in public anywhere, during the day (in non-covid times) you could use public toilets etc but at night? If you want to 'live' in a camper then do so by all means but be responsible for your own 'personal' waste and dispose of it properly, not just cr@p behind the bushes. We've been to many aires/stops over the years and have also noticed the amount of human waste, paper etc strewn about has increased, it's absolutely disgusting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back