Bad news or am I over- reacting (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Just decided to refix a bit of loose trim on the MH, a small aluminium strip covering the join between the main body and the fibreglass skirt.

Big Mistake as ignorance is bliss

The part of the floor that this strip screws into is rotten I would guess that at some time in the past either the water tank or the water heater has leaked causing this damage. If I press the floor in this area from inside the van it feels spongy.

My reason for the post is to ask is this something that can be easily repaired or should I be prepared for major expense.

If a repair is possible does anybody know of a good repair workshop near Colchester.

Looking forward to hearing replies that will put my mind at rest.

A depressed cakeboy:Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Any floor repair can be expencive. 1st make sure any leak has actually been cured. Next decided are you doing it or chopping an arm and leg off to pay for it to be done. A small area that you are not walking on could possibly be injected with a preparation to harden it all up. Otherwise it almost certainly involves removing furniture and fitting to gain acess for replacement. Good luck let us know how you get on.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've seen that posted several times, all Swift and done under warranty.

Are you that lucky ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If its not too extensive you can get some goo that you inject into the floor which makes it solid.

Apollo A8136 Floor delamination adhesive kit

Peter

OP
OP
C

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
If its not too extensive you can get some goo that you inject into the floor which makes it solid.

Apollo A8136 Floor delamination adhesive kit

Peter

Thanks for the reply but after pesearching on the net I think it is too bad for this product.

Thanks again for your interest.

cakeboy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Without wishing to add to your problems, not only the floor but the sidewall timbers will also be affected.

OP
OP
C

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Further investigation shows that the damp was caused by the pump wire hole letting water out when the tank was filled to the top. Is this normal .

Has anyone tried this stuff or am is this just my wishful thinking. www.linesofpinner.co.uk/r-repair.php?productID=PCP12

Still living in hope that this will not be a really expensive.

cakeboy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if its just a small area should work fine, however make sure you seal the tank to prevent further spillage.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi CB,firstly you have nothing to loose by trying the injection method.(maybe £100)If you have to go down the new floor route then if you are handy you may as well do a total refurbish and as such around £2,000 to £3,000 :whatthe:If you are not handy then at least double :Eeek::Eeek:That would put you in the realms of how much is the van worth ?
Inject it and get rid? or everything out replace floor fit it all back together and keep it ?or total refurbish knowing it is good for a lot of years to come?
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Further investigation shows that the damp was caused by the pump wire hole letting water out when the tank was filled to the top.
cakeboy

Are you sure ? Unless it's one big hole and it's been over filled every time then it feels wrong to me that dribbles would cause this. It's more likely long term regular ingress from somewhere - even the tank leaking at a joint.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used a similar substance on a trailer caravan many years ago. It was quite effective for a cheap repair, but make sure you've found the source of the leak first.:thumb:

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Repair Workshop

Hello

We live in Marks Tey. We use a secure storage unit at Marks Tey where there is also a motorhome/caravan workshop, SH Caravans, 01206 213181. When we first purchased our van we weren't too sure if all the 'out-of-sight' things worked.
I had what is called a Habitation Service which checks all electrics, water system, gas system everything apart from the engine. With VAT it cost £185 but was worth it to know all was in order. They do all repairs except engine repairs and the labour charge is £45. There is another workshop I have used also with good results and the labour charge there is £40 but it is in Great Bentley, 01255 823333.
Hope this helps.

Eddy

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Just decided to refix a bit of loose trim on the MH, a small aluminium strip covering the join between the main body and the fibreglass skirt.

Big Mistake as ignorance is bliss

The part of the floor that this strip screws into is rotten I would guess that at some time in the past either the water tank or the water heater has leaked causing this damage. If I press the floor in this area from inside the van it feels spongy.

My reason for the post is to ask is this something that can be easily repaired or should I be prepared for major expense.

If a repair is possible does anybody know of a good repair workshop near Colchester.

Looking forward to hearing replies that will put my mind at rest.

A depressed cakeboy:Sad:

Bentley Liesure Services,
Dines Farm
Great Bentley
CO7 8RF

Tony (Lopez) will give a fair and honest quote, we use him every time.:thumb:
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!