FTA satbox question (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at the moment i'm using a cheapo 'Porty' FTA sat box and would like to link it to the bedroom tv.

the box has 'RF in' (from the dish), 'RF out', TV Scart and VCR scart sockets.

obviously the front tv to satbox is linked via a scart lead but a second scart to the rear tv is out of the question due to distance.

would it work if i used the 'RF out' socket and used the existing tv coax to the bedroom tv?

obviously both tv's would be on the same tv channel but that aint a problem as only one tv would be on at a time.

the only other option is a second receiver (in the bedroom) and a twin LNB.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If you are on Sky you can get a thing called a tv link you plug it in the back of the second tele on the aerial plug and use the sky remote to change channels:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
It`s one of these JohnLink Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think the clue's in the header mate :ROFLMAO:

icon1.gif
FTA satbox question

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Sorry John :Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I tried this in the RV John and No.. it won't work, you would need an RF modulator OR another freesat box ..

I fitted another freesat box in the RV bedroom.. but although it worked it depended on what channel was being watched on the other free sat box.. so I fitted a twin LNB and fed the second box direct.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Best way to do it is fit a scart to phono adapter in the second scart socket on the receiver then use triple phono AV cable to run the feed to the rear tv point. Mount a neat triple phono wall plate near the TV position and use a phono to scart cable to connect to the TV. It can be a PITA routing the AV cable but it gets you the best picture at the rear TV.

D.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi John

If the RF Out connector is of the 'F' type (the same as the sat dish in) then no it will not work.

If the RF out is of the belling lee type (as fitted to most TV's) then the box has a output which will feed down the coax you have and into the TV. I have a Sky box which I do this with.

Mike

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Easiest way is to buy a Double/Tripple or a Quad LNB of fleabay.. (Dead Cheap Now) about £20 - 30 squid.. change the old LNB for new one and then run cable to bedroom..

Get an LNB one outlet more than you need... cos you will find another room to put a TV in.. :winky:

I bought a quad... misses said we only want a double.. but ho-hum suprise suprise they have all been used.. :Doh:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Some of the TV link things will work - maybe not the Sky one, but others may...as long as you can get power on the RF output cable.
YOu just have to make sure the TV is able to use the same PAL signal as the sat receiver is outputting.

There are various versions of PAL, and these various versions are / were used in different countries in europe. Which is why some UK TVs, when connected to a Spanish TV aerial, got clear picture but no sound, as the sound was on a differnet PAL setting.

What a bout a 5gig AV Transmitter / receiver system...plugs into the scarts / component cable of the receiver / TV? Good as you can move this TV around as the signals are sent from the reciever to the TV wirelessly.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best way to do it is fit a scart to phono adapter in the second scart socket on the receiver then use triple phono AV cable to run the feed to the rear tv point. Mount a neat triple phono wall plate near the TV position and use a phono to scart cable to connect to the TV. It can be a PITA routing the AV cable but it gets you the best picture at the rear TV.

D.
thanks Dave, i had thought about that route but getting a cable run down the side will be a problem where it passes through the kitchen/fridge area....no wall to ceiling coving in there.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Satellite

Hi Pappajohn
I have a Humax box no RF OUT so bought RF modulater (£21)then scart from Humax box to RF modulator box which has an RF in and out,put your coax from ariel into the in and the coax to your bedroom tv can be sent to the tv using the out RF coax feed.
Basically a similar setup as you would use to pipe Sky around the house.
To operate the TV upstairs you can buy an I/R Extender using the original Satellite remote control to operate the box from another room.
Hope that helps.
Steve

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
looks"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/audio-video-sender-kit-2727-44469
[/URL] look an easy option Brian, but i'm not so sure about the 9v supply.
that will mean sorting a 12v to 9v adaptor as well...cant see a PP3 lasting very long at 300ma drain[/QUOTE]

Ebay 290563099703

"wireless TV sender" gets loads of hits on ebay.

Be warned, they can be a pain due to reflections. As you move around the the signal can vary quite a bit.

Scart definitely more trouble free, and cheaper.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant find an LNB with suitable arm fitting so...new Mk 4 sky mini dish with quad LNB and 20mtrs 'shotgun' (twin) coax.......£22 p&p free :thumb:

this could be the answer.

i could use the existing coax running to the bedroom from the splitter behind the TV by disconnecting it from the splitter and connecting to the LNB.
don't know if the cable will be sat grade though.
suppose i could use it as a draw wire for a new sat coax.

I'll use the old dish next time we go to the cottage in scotland...no analogue or digital terrestrial signal available up there

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back