Free Member
May 25, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Scout
Exp
Only just bought it!
We have just purchased an Autotrail Scout, due for delivery in a couple of weeks.I cannot BEGIN to tell you how excied we are!!! ::bigsmile:
Of course, im desperate to buy bits & pieces for it, to kit it out.

Is it cheaper to use an electric kettle or gas hob whistling type kettle?

Is there anything else that we need

What would you suggest would be a useful purchase?

All comments gratefully received, thank you

Debby x

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your gonna need both
No point using your gas when on hook up

Cork screw and bottle opener
Thats it:thumb:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Some baked beans and a Fray Bentos pie or two!

Store for ever and will give you a taste of home when all else has run out, you are stuck across the channel, bored with foreign food and only have the local cuisine to sample!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

debbysworld

Free Member
May 25, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Scout
Exp
Only just bought it!
Thank you both!

Rest assured the cork screw was the first thing I thought of!!!
4 kids on holiday = copious amounts of wine for mummy, after hours!!! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi just do like you would ay home :thumb:We have both gas and leccy kettle and heaters (just a cheapo fan heater)If paying for hook up you use leccy :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I would at first take things from home till you find what you need.

It can be a lot cheaper this way and you don't finish up buying all those things that seem a good idea in the shop, and you find you never use.

It's hard I know but I always work this way in a motorhome buy the things you need not what you want, all helps keep the weight down.

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
A wise buy !!

Currently sitting in my Scout on an aire in France with the Sun beating down on me ! I have everything here that you would have at home ! So that's about it !!! But then I live in my Scout all the year round ! You will enjoy this website, it is packed full of interesting stuff provided by interesting people ! Just trawl through all the posts, look at the blogs and enjoy !!!! Thursday night is quiz night so log on to the chat room at 8pm and either take part in it or just watch on to see the banter that happens between us loonies who regularly take part !! Also, at various times of the year there are meets where, obviously, we meet up and behave disgracefully....nuff sed ! :flyingwelcome:

Upvote 0

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have a whistle kettle, but our hob is dual fuel with an a electric plate (use when on hook up) and gas when not on hookup. No point carrying both types. :winky:

If yours is a UK spec'd Euro van you might have a dual fuel hob. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Kettle....

the kettle you use at home may be to much (usually around 2.5kw/3kw) for an average hookup supply.

look for one around 1700 watts.....slower to boil than the home one but less chance of tripping the hookup.

a 'whistling billy' is a must but buy a good quality one...cheap ones have been known to leak....i think it was Haganap who had the bottom fall off a cheap one.

Crockery....

my personal choice of crockery is proper plates, bowls and cups/mugs....much better than melamine rubbish which stains very easily....especially cups/mugs.
they do weigh a little more than melamine but so much nicer to use.

decent torch....
you never know when the gas bottle will need changing and if its dark theres little worse than fumbling around changing it.

Upvote 0

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
We have just purchased an Autotrail Scout, due for delivery in a couple of weeks.I cannot BEGIN to tell you how excied we are!!! ::bigsmile:
Of course, im desperate to buy bits & pieces for it, to kit it out.

Is it cheaper to use an electric kettle or gas hob whistling type kettle?

Is there anything else that we need

What would you suggest would be a useful purchase?

All comments gratefully received, thank you

Debby x

Er.... Tea, Milk and Sugar silly!!!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
paper plates

A stash of paper plates and cheap plastic cups.

May seem odd but we use these a fair bit instead of using the proper dishes etc. Obviously depends on what you are cooking but you can through them away -no washing up so saving water. I am aware that this is not enviromentally freindly mind lol.

Wouldnt be without them. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

debbysworld

Free Member
May 25, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Scout
Exp
Only just bought it!
Er.... Tea, Milk and Sugar silly!!!:ROFLMAO:

And loo roll, of course!! :ROFLMAO: but most importantly, wine!!!::bigsmile:

The torch suggestion is an excellent one, hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Many thanks for all suggestions

Debby x

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Agree with proper cups and all previous
Tin / bottle opener
spatula
serving spoons
knives forks spoons teaspoons
gas lighter
matches
string
sellotape bluetack
cling film
tinfoil
rubbish bags
ziplock bags
scissors
nail clippers
sharp knives
colander- for lettuce pasta rice
plastic/glass bowl/jug -for custard gravy
fry pan spatterguard
stacking pans I have tefal that go inside each other
whisk/handblender-for home made soup
grater- cheese,nutmeg,potato
tea towels
towels
hot water bottle for winter
loo paper
paper towel
wash up liquid
sponge/scourer/brush
brush brush pan/dustbuster
floor cloth
pegs
washing liquid
clothes dryer
chairs table
camera,
binocs
exercise book pen pencil ::bigsmile:

sauces you love and can't get abroad HP eg
The best is to go on a trip nearby you or near a shop. It may seem obvious but in the excitment you can forget to pack things.:Doh: Jim does a handy check list in his Motorhome book and we check it each time we go
Lucille

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
may seem too obvious but salt, pepper and vinegar
some good seasonings eg garlic powder, onion salt, worcester sauce, mustard powder, oxo cubes, soy sauce
solid vegetable fat (preferred to oil as it does not spill - lesson sadly learned in a caravan)

with the above you can transform the dodgiest of take out meals or home cooked meals or leftovers and they dont go off or deteriorate when left in the van.

I think I have the best travelled oxo cubes in UK they have been with me from tent to caravan to motorhome ... would not use them as they are like friends now:ROFLMAO:

best wishes
Lynne
and Malty ... my much travelled Malt Loaf (2years now) but there if the world ends!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

debbysworld

Free Member
May 25, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Scout
Exp
Only just bought it!
Phew, staging lady, that's a heck of a list!! thank you.

,I'll print all the suggestions & use that as my list to start, I think.

Nothing is too obvious though!!

We are going to go away for 1 night, once we get it, with the kids as a trial run... so hopefully any glaring missing bits will show up then.

Any handy little gadgets? Natty little things worth getting? OH loves his gadgets!!

Debby x

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I wouldn't be without my ear plugs. With hubby, 3 kids and 2 dogs snoring and grunting through the night , I'd never sleep.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Rubbish! If you go overseas take the bare minimum! Sample the local cuisiene! Buy fresh from the Markets, taste the difference! Never mind all this bulldust about taking English Food! Buy Local AND enjoy!:thumb:

Upvote 0

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
A flask is handy. When we are travelling ,I fill it at home with hot water and it means we can have tea/coffee very quickly on the journey there and I do the same on the way home.
It saves a fortune in motorway coffees and means we don't have to light the gas at the services.
Also you can fill it with soup for lunch en route.

To the list add oven gloves /pot handler.

Upvote 0

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Double Skillet from a motorhome show or Internet and a diffuser, gives you the option of frying (two deep fry pans that hook together each with a handle and a glass lid you can use on either one) can be used to roast, sauté, fry, let your imagination go!
A Remoska, on elec you can roast, stew, jacket pots, in fact anything the double skillet or an oven can do, oh yes cakes too.
Elec kettle & whistling kind.
Paper plates (learned off the French) they are fine for finger snacks and no washing up.
But basically use what you have already, I got carried away and found a lot of stuff got thrown out cos I never used it!
Most of all just enjoy your motorhome.

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Superglue, lost count of the number of times I've needed to use it. Oh and a first aid kit.
Geoff.

Upvote 0

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Head torch, keeps hands free to do the gas bottle which always runs out in the dark also if you have to make running repairs they are a god send get a LED one can be bought for under a fiver Gray.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Loads of good advice id go away in the van for a night or 2 near home and see what you need as we cleaned out our van for spring clean and found stuff init we had never used.

As for food id stick things like noodles and pasta so that if you cant get to a shop you have a basic meal we always keep tomato soup also.

You will also need your stuff like blue and pink for your toilet, we have basic toiletries in van all the time in case we decide to head away for a night at short notice we also keep tooth brushes in van as always forget them lol.

If you have 4 kids then id pack some board games as there will be days in the uk when it rains i know its hard to believe but it does rain:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Gerry

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but don't buy a new duvet especially for the van. Would you want a summer or winter one? Just take the one off your bed. Also, don't go and buy a nice china dinner service, it weighs a lot and Chinese along over every bump. Just buy a cheapo melamine one, but make sure you have china/pot mugs. There's nothing worse than a melamine cup of tea. Have a lovely time and let us know where you are going. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I wouldn't be without my ear plugs. With hubby, 3 kids and 2 dogs snoring and grunting through the night , I'd never sleep.:RollEyes:

Me too Bev, but I do try to remember to hide them with my nightie each morning. Earplugs would look a bit revolting to a visitor. Even my nightie wouldn't be too good. :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Ivy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back