Letting others - family and friends use the MH - insurance (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thinking of letting friends and family use my Eriba when Covid permits.

Apart from you telling me it's a bad idea I wondered if they have their own car insurance they would be covered (third party) to drive it.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

Apart from you telling me it's a bad idea I wondered if they have their own car insurance they would be covered (third party) to drive it.
It’s not a bad idea.....

it’s worse than that, been there done it.....

run a mile...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Need to check with their insurers for any 'driving other vehicle' clauses.
Most insurers allow it but others don't.
As you say, it would be on a 3rd party only basis so who would pay for your damage, or worse still, a total loss.

I love the eriba but I would like others to get out and about this year - its plated weight is 3t so ok for a standard driving licence

The value of the van is not great but I hope it would be looked after - wouldn't let them use my Mobilvetta though

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If it’s like commercial insurance, which a Moho is then very often your not covered like for like.

In other words even if you have a Moho you can’t drive someone else’s

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I added my daughter and daughter-in-law to the insurance when I bought the MH. As they now have their own campervan, I considered removing them at last renewal. Would only have saved me ÂŁ25, so I left them on, in case I ever needed one of them to drive it.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
More & more insurers are now not offering the 'drive a vehicle not belonging to you or hired...'

I occasionally drive friend's & relative's cars, so paid an additional thirty pounds on my insurance, which gives me cover - but, as posted above, it is third party only

It is well worth checking your policy to see whether you are covered

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I think you will find a number of car Insurance companies, if not most, don’t allow you to drive any sort of van under their policies.

I found this out when I wanted to use my brother-in laws van. Also, my motorcycle insurance doesn’t cover me to drive any other type of vehicles, even if I have a licence to cover the vehicle.

The devil is in the detail wording of your policy. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to do it just add them to your own insurance policy that way they are fully covered and thus if there was an accident and your MH needed work it would be fully covered too, rather than just third party.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
If you lend it and cover is provided by the 'friends' policy which is doubtful it would only be 3rd party,

They could probably add to their policy as a temporary vehicle then if they have an accident you won't have your NCB affected.

Personally friends no, family possibly.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Also, my motorcycle insurance doesn’t cover me to drive any other type of vehicles,

My motorcycle policy allows me to ride motorcycles 'not belonging to you or not hired...'

The cover is included in the policy - not all do, well worth checking (& yes, third party only)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My motorcycle policy allows me to ride motorcycles 'not belonging to you or not hired...'

The cover is included in the policy - not all do, well worth checking (& yes, third party only)
Yes, so does mine. However, it’s only other motorcycles not car’s van’s, MH’s etc.

My car policy covers me for other car’s, but not motorcycles, van’s MH’s etc.
(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
On my Motorhome certificate it states I can drive other CARS

Unless 'cars' is defined in such a way that it excludes MHs, I would say that iwould cover the MH, on the basis that most MH V5Cs put Category of vehicle as M1(without adding in brackets 'Special purpose' which is the formal category).

So if you check your V5c and it states M1 then I would say it is covered.

Remember in a dispute on insurance law the party relying on an exclusion bears the responsibility of having to prove the facts lie within the exclusion.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless 'cars' is defined in such a way that it excludes MHs, I would say that iwould cover the MH, on the basis that most MH V5Cs put Category of vehicle as M1(without adding in brackets 'Special purpose' which is the formal category).

So if you check your V5c and it states M1 then I would say it is covered.

Remember in a dispute on insurance law the party relying on an exclusion bears the responsibility of having to prove the facts lie within the exclusion.

Geoff
I would say a risky assumption as the certivicat and the policy referee to the Motorhome as a Motorhome.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Nope, Nope, Nope.
As for the Insurance, we all know that the first response of insurers is "No", give them any excuse and they are on the back foot.
Do you really want a battle with them ?
If you ask them i bet they will say no and others have said who would pay for a write off or if a repatriation is needed, all very messy. Stay clear of it unless YOU add them to your policy as named drivers.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Only let someone who is fully insured drive your MH. ....... Last year I posted images of a Child Car Seat falling off the roof of an oncoming vehicle and striking the car I was driving. Unfortunately, it was my daughter's car, that I had borrowed for the day, and I only had 3rd party insurance. The best quote I could get for the repairs was ÂŁ750.

I reported it to the police and submitted the Dashcam footage, but recently received a letter to say that they have been unable to identify the driver, and are not going to investigate any further.

My daughter subsequently traded in her car but the dealer cut ÂŁ500 from his offer when he saw the damage, and I paid my Daughter the difference.

Just think how much damage could be done to a MH!!

Previous Thread

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

There is a company which does short term insurance as short as parts of a day for reasonable amounts

Try this, https://www.cuvva.com/car-insurance/temporary. I lent mine to a long time friend, no money changing hands as that counts as for hire or reward which most car insurers prohibit, not sure if illegal. Work very well indeed with the vehicle coming back cleaner than it left, not that it was other than clean anyway. They had it for 10 days with no mishaps from either of our points of view. But make sure that their cover is adequate including covering the value

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Years ago if you had a fully comp insurance policy you were allowed to drive another car but only covered 3rd party, but if the car was still being paid for you could not drive it As you needed to be insured fully comp. A lot of today’s fully comp policies do not allow you to drive another car.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back

How comfortable would you be if they screwed up and broke your van and couldn't afford to mend it? Sounds like a recipe for familial discord to me...

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
If you want to do it just add them to your own insurance policy that way they are fully covered and thus if there was an accident and your MH needed work it would be fully covered too, rather than just third party.
That's the only sensible thing to do...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back