DVLA Hypocritical ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The DVLA sell personalised number plates for profit , knowing they may be ' adjusted ' to spell names etc also knowing that if adjusted the buyer could be prosecuted.
Is this hypocritical ?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The DVLA sell personalised number plates for profit , knowing they may be ' adjusted ' to spell names etc also knowing that if adjusted the buyer could be prosecuted.
Is this hypocritical ?

The buyer is at fault, Larry, not DVLA.
An offence is an offence.
If a seller of anything didnt sell "in case" the buyer altered the product, nothing would get sold.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The buyer is at fault, Larry, not DVLA.
An offence is an offence.
If a seller of anything didnt sell "in case" the buyer altered the product, nothing would get sold.

Yes I understand, but they are the authority and knowingly sell a product for that purpose .

Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I agree with you both ::bigsmile:, but what I would like to know is if I get done another two times for my illegal plate ( 3 times and its taken off me ), will the DVLA resell it??

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yes I understand, but they are the authority and knowingly sell a product for that purpose .

Larry

They dont sell them for that express purpose, Larry.
For instance: If I wanted to buy Reg No. B1 DDY for me aged aunt, and closed it up to B1DDY, it's still me committing the offence, not DVLA. They would have sold me B1 DDY, not B1DDY.

I am told the president of the Elvis fan club in UK has ELV 15, closed to ELV15.
He / she should be fined just for being an Elvis fan.

Wait for it!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I agree with you both ::bigsmile:, but what I would like to know is if I get done another two times for my illegal plate ( 3 times and its taken off me ), will the DVLA resell it??

In its original, correct form, why not?
You have just said you are displaying it illegally. That's not the fault of DVLA.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They dont sell them for that express purpose, Larry.
For instance: If I wanted to buy Reg No. B1 DDY for me aged aunt, and closed it up to B1DDY, it's still me committing the offence, not DVLA. They would have sold me B1 DDY, not B1DDY.

I am told the president of the Elvis fan club in UK has ELV 15, closed to ELV15.
He / she should be fined just for being an Elvis fan.

Wait for it!

I am sure that the two plates mentioned , B1 DDY and ELV 1S would have been priced very high or auctioned by the DVLA , why, because they know they will be adjusted.

Larry

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I am not now displaying it illegally and I knew what I was doing was wrong so no fault of DVLA but my own, and it will be my own fault should I ever again close the letters together and get the plate taken off me ::bigsmile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I have said in previous posts my ideal plate was D4 LEK and yes I would of put them together, but my husband wouldnt bid on it at the time, now he wishes he had:Doh:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have just bought from DVLA YOO 6 HOO or on my square rv plates

YOO6
HOO

YOO 6
HOO

??

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
private reg

WE HAVE A PERFECTLY LEGAL REG FOR SALE BUT CANT FIND ANYONE CALLED MAT ITS D 734 MAT IF ANY ONE INTERESTED ON RETENTION AS WELL £650 :Smile:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
cherished plate

i also have this plate for sale on the RVOC forum. RV57 ARV. Good plate for any post 57plate RV if interested just call me on 07802 661334 brian:winky:

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
I think that the DVLA frown more on the sneaky folks who place yellow headed screws on top of the Black lettering to make some letters look different.

But as to the original question, I remember when I first searched for a personal plate, the site said "If you intend to alter a plate, we would rather you didn't purchase it"

That would probably work as well as a "Wet Paint" sign.:Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think that the DVLA frown more on the sneaky folks who place yellow headed screws on top of the Black lettering to make some letters look different.

But as to the original question, I remember when I first searched for a personal plate, the site said "If you intend to alter a plate, we would rather you didn't purchase it"

That would probably work as well as a "Wet Paint" sign.:Doh:

Reg Plates can only now be made up on production of the certificate from DVLA together with ID. The maker has to put his postcode and name on the plate.

The plate maker is then required to keep a log of plates issued and of the ID details of the person who got the plate. The authorities can then prosecute him as well as you for the illegally spaced plate.

The spacing on the plate is also now an MOT item so will result in a fail.

Not worth the hassle in my opinion. If the plate is not recognisable on a PNR camera you can be fined £1000. Durham Police have said they will be hot on this issue.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]Is this hypocritical [/HI]?

Not at all, the DVLA have identified a demand and are cashing in on it.. as already said, if the buyer adjusts the spacing that's in breach of the law...

Personally I can't see the attraction but plenty do, so it's a nice little earner..

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Does this mean that any arm of the government could start making money on nice little earners knowing that abuse will occur but ignoring that fact, eg ciggies and alcohol ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back