12v Cable for TV / DVD player (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hello All

On my list of stuff to sort out for our imminent departure I need a new 12v lead for our TV / DVD player. Its a straight through cigar type plug lead to a 10mm x 5mm plug. There are no voltage regulators or transformers, nothing fancy.

Can I get one? No! Cant even seem to find the bits to make one up. The one in the photo works but only if you wiggle the cable near the top, it must have broken somewhere. No lead means no telly for 3 months!

Does anyone know where to get one or the bits to make one up? Does anyone indeed have one kicking around they dont want? Happy to pay for it.

Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Difficult to get a ready made lead like this. However Maplins sell both 'ends' so you could make up your own. If you know which end of the wire is broken you probably need only one anyway.
Universal 12v power adaptors are available but usually only 1A which wouldn't be enough for most TVs.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Barry,

Again as NR said Maplins supply both both ends.

You have probably done this already but just in case....

Have you opened up your existing plug and checked inside?

Most are quite cheaply made and have a little spring which pushes against the fuse which then pushes onto the silver pin on the end. Sometimes the spring collapses or gets twisted inside the plug which results in a poor connection inside the socket.
Some plugs have screws to open them, others you just unscrew the knurled cap by the silver pin and they spring apart.

I just did this on a cigar lighter connector last week which was working intermittently and it was the spring causing the problems. Fixed the spring, fixed the problem.
:thumb::thumb:

Callum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry,

Again as NR said Maplins supply both both ends.

You have probably done this already but just in case....

Have you opened up your existing plug and checked inside?

Most are quite cheaply made and have a little spring which pushes against the fuse which then pushes onto the silver pin on the end. Sometimes the spring collapses or gets twisted inside the plug which results in a poor connection inside the socket.
Some plugs have screws to open them, others you just unscrew the knurled cap by the silver pin and they spring apart.

I just did this on a cigar lighter connector last week which was working intermittently and it was the spring causing the problems. Fixed the spring, fixed the problem.
:thumb::thumb:

Callum

Thanks

I just tried that but I think its the wire as it will come on if put a bend in the last 6 inches near the cigar socket.

I have found a couple on ebay but I have to go to Stockton tomorrow anyway and I think there is a Maplins there. Will see what they say.

There used to be loads of little electrical shops around that would have stuff like this. They dont seem to exist anymore.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Barry,
There is a Maplin's in the Boro, its in the old Forbes Building, top of Linthorpe road, about 200 yds from the Town Museam.
Really helpful staff and if they don't have the part in, their order system is very quick.
Best Regards, Mac

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Barry,
There is a Maplin's in the Boro, its in the old Forbes Building, top of Linthorpe road, about 200 yds from the Town Museam.
Really helpful staff and if they don't have the part in, their order system is very quick.
Best Regards, Mac

If you cannot make it to a Maplin's store, their online store system is very good and the delivery in my experience is extremely fast.:thumb:

ps, if you think it may be the wire at the plug end could you not cut the suspect broken section out and re solder or connect the wire back on after a continuity check.....

Oops I just seen Wildman beat me to it...... having a bad day here..... Grrrrrr..... LOL

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wildman, I tried that with my ex husband but it still didn't work:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, Barry, I have asked a neighbour of mine to see if he can find one as he often comes across all kinds of electrical caravan bits and pieces where he works. I guess I might be a bit late to catch you but if he does I will hang onto it just in case.

Joy

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
hi, you could try a nokia car charger,look the same size
as i got cost £5:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The fault is probably nearer the 12v cigar end - if you cut that off, and pop a 12v fused plug, you should be good to go!

If not, I am sure I have plenty of that type of wire laying around with TV connector on the end - in fact, I know I have in the shed!

Is it a caravan tv then? No stabiliser needed outside the set?

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The fault is probably nearer the 12v cigar end - if you cut that off, and pop a 12v fused plug, you should be good to go!

If not, I am sure I have plenty of that type of wire laying around with TV connector on the end - in fact, I know I have in the shed!

Is it a caravan tv then? No stabiliser needed outside the set?

Cheers for that

ITs a flip top DVD / TV player 10". I got it on Ebay from Honk Kong nearly 9 years ago before they were even available in the UK.

No make or model but its worked perfectly for years. I think it must be stabilised as I dont think there are any electronics in the cable. It even has its own 2 hr battery a bit like a laptop.

Ill take the lead into Maplins tomorrow and see what they say. Not sure I fancy chopping up the lead though.

Thanks
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back