Free Member
May 23, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
Talbot Swift Capri 1990
Exp
New to it all!!
Ok - this is how clueless i am - i think i have located the leisure battery under the passenger seat - does this just automatically charge itself if i use the hook up? And how does the van know whether to run off the hook up or the leisure battery? ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes that will be the leisure battery.

have a look at your control panel....the one with the gauges on, possibly near/above the door....and there may be a 3 position rocker switch with a cab (engine end) symbol, a van (living end) symbol and possible an off position in the center.

when on hookup, put the switch in the van position to charge the leisure battery, or in the cab position to charge the engine battery.
in the center position neither battery is getting charged but all your 12v stuff will work on the charger alone.

when off hookup you should have the switch in the van position or you will flatten the engine battery

your charger actually doubles up as a power supply for all 12v equipment when on hookup with your battery acting as a reserve supply if you use more power than the charger can supply.

hope this helps in some way.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - I wish that I had known that with my previous van, which had exactly that sort of control and I could never figure out what it actually did (Lunar's instructions are notoriously useless). The new A/S van instructions actually explains the digital control panel in some detail and very clearly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
yes that will be the leisure battery.

have a look at your control panel....the one with the gauges on, possibly near/above the door....and there may be a 3 position rocker switch with a cab (engine end) symbol, a van (living end) symbol and possible an off position in the center.

when on hookup, put the switch in the van position to charge the leisure battery, or in the cab position to charge the engine battery.
in the center position neither battery is getting charged but all your 12v stuff will work on the charger alone.

when off hookup you should have the switch in the van position or you will flatten the engine battery

your charger actually doubles up as a power supply for all 12v equipment when on hookup with your battery acting as a reserve supply if you use more power than the charger can supply.

hope this helps in some way.

Amazing how simple and basic questions cause you to think. Having an older van 1998 Autosleeper I don't have such a fancy control panel. I do have a master rocker switch as you say John but it is only two way on/off. I have assumed when on ehu the leisure battery and the van battery automatically charge without me having to do anything.
As I have had no problem with my electric supply I have never given this a thought, but now reading this I wonder if my assumption is correct?

Norman

OP
OP
C

catjo2002

Free Member
May 23, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
Talbot Swift Capri 1990
Exp
New to it all!!
Pappajohn, thanks for the advice.

Will give it a go, I am very new to this and daresay this will be the first of many daft questions

Thanks again.

Jo:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Amazing how simple and basic questions cause you to think. Having an older van 1998 Autosleeper I don't have such a fancy control panel. I do have a master rocker switch as you say John but it is only two way on/off. I have assumed when on ehu the leisure battery and the van battery automatically charge without me having to do anything.
As I have had no problem with my electric supply I have never given this a thought, but now reading this I wonder if my assumption is correct?

Norman
i doubt both batteries will be charged at the same time but the 2 way switch may be leisure one way and cab the other :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back