Solar Panel Fixing (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I have just bought a solar panel etc but am slightly nervous about the sikaflex only method of fixing. Is this the norm and if so do I use 221,252 or 512? Tales of "no it's fine" most welcome.
The electrical side isn't a problem as I'm an Electrical Engineer ::bigsmile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have just bought a solar panel etc but am slightly nervous about the sikaflex only method of fixing. Is this the norm and if so do I use 221,252 or 512? Tales of "no it's fine" most welcome.
The electrical side isn't a problem as I'm an Electrical Engineer ::bigsmile:

I too would feel nervous about that method, on some vans, IE my Swift, there is a top layer of aluminium that is only attached where there through fitting on the roof, so is is not bonded to the body of the roof.

My thoughts are that as you drive over bumps is the weight of the panel/s lifting and flexing the aluminium top skin.

On my own van I have a roof rack that is screwed into the body of the roof and the panels are mechanically attached to that, I also have a hinged fitting so the the panel can be lifted to collect more of the suns energy

However there must be hundreds if not thousands of vans with stick on panels and I have nor heard of any problems.

Doug...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had panels stuck on my RV for about 6 years without problems.

Have even heard that they stick car body panels on with the stuff so must be OK.

Would NEVER drill a hole in the roof of a camper for any reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
The motorhome builders drill holes in the roof all the time, TV ariel, roof vents, air con, roof bars etc.

I used both when fixing solar panels, Sikaflex then screws as well covering the heads with more sikaflex. Just coming up to 4 years in all climates and no problems.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
The motorhome builders drill holes in the roof all the time, TV ariel, roof vents, air con, roof bars etc.

I used both when fixing solar panels, Sikaflex then screws as well covering the heads with more sikaflex. Just coming up to 4 years in all climates and no problems.

Funny you say that Keith, my van is 9 years old and (touch wood) is not showing any problems with the roof rack, it was fitted by the previous owner and I don't know what was used to bond the brackets so I have been thinking of going around the brackets and screw heads with sikaflex.

When I was into building boats I used sikaflex on all deck and hull fitting and there was never any problems.

Doug...

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years
Solar Panel fixing.

Bought two 100w solar panels a couple of weeks ago, spent some hours over the last couple of days running wires inside and reading about fixing them on the roof. I was going to use a Sikaflex type adhesive with a few s/s self tappers, similar to my Oyster Satellite. Have spent a while researching this and have read that it's best to have an air gap under the panels as they are less efficient when hot. I also had a good read about cable thickness. Voltage drop with thinner wires is considerable, I am using 4mm squ. Cable. With an MPPT controller for, I hope, maximum efficiency. Don't just look at the cable rating or ask a normal electrician. Regarding the fixing I think I am going to use angled aluminium, leaving an inch air gap, with s/s self tappers(to roof) and s/s bolts (to panel) and of course Sikaflex type adhesive.
A good site for info is: http://hobohome.com/news/?p=581
http://hobohome.com/news/?p=491
Brian.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
No problem with drilling holes in my opinion but make sure you fill the holes with sikaflex as you screw the screws in for the final time and then put a good blob over the screw head afterwards. A couple of weeks later pop up and check all is ok

stew

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
The Pro's fitted mine and it's slikafix and nothing else. Fitted on to Brackets, Brackets silkafixed to the roof. I have a camos dome, and yes that's silkafixed to the roof as well via fixing brackets.

They glue aircraft wings on some craft on nowadays,

Like you I was scared at first, but trust me, if done properly it wont move.:RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
The Pro's fitted mine and it's slikafix and nothing else. Fitted on to Brackets, Brackets silkafixed to the roof. I have a camos dome, and yes that's silkafixed to the roof as well via fixing brackets.

They glue aircraft wings on some craft on nowadays,

Like you I was scared at first, but trust me, if done properly it wont move.:RollEyes:

Ah! but you have to ask yourself, are the "Pro's" using Sikaflex because its superior or because it easier and quicker. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the use of Sikaflex if its compatible with the job in hand. but I question why its being used by the "Pro's".

In the case of my own motor home I would not use it for sticking down solar panels without the use of screws, because of the roof construction.

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Ah! but you have to ask yourself, are the "Pro's" using Sikaflex because its superior or because it easier and quicker. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the use of Sikaflex if its compatible with the job in hand. but I question why its being used by the "Pro's".

In the case of my own motor home I would not use it for sticking down solar panels without the use of screws, because of the roof construction.

Doug...

Ok Doug, I take your point, but here is the conversation I had with Road pro.

I purchased a camos dome second hand. I rang and asked if they would be able to give me any info on the fitting of it. They said I needed 4 new feet for the dome. I said Ok, does it come with Screws? they said no it comes with slikaflex. I argued and told them this is ridiculous and it would surely fall off. They said it would not, and that for a number of years they have been fitting and using silkaflex and are yet to loose one. I was going to use it and like you say, plug and screw it on as well but thought what the hec I will do as they say.
Result,
2 years in place, never moved an inch, and I would challenge anyone to go on to my roof and remove it by brute strength alone without tools, same with my Solar.
It wont come off.

I have even heard of Bike racks being fitted by dealers this way, however, I remain unconvinced about that, but on the roof, job done...

I would love to know how it works. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Ok Doug, I take your point, but here is the conversation I had with Road pro.

I purchased a camos dome second hand. I rang and asked if they would be able to give me any info on the fitting of it. They said I needed 4 new feet for the dome. I said Ok, does it come with Screws? they said no it comes with slikaflex. I argued and told them this is ridiculous and it would surely fall off. They said it would not, and that for a number of years they have been fitting and using silkaflex and are yet to loose one. I was going to use it and like you say, plug and screw it on as well but thought what the hec I will do as they say.
Result,
2 years in place, never moved an inch, and I would challenge anyone to go on to my roof and remove it by brute strength alone without tools, same with my Solar.
It wont come off.

I have even heard of Bike racks being fitted by dealers this way, however, I remain unconvinced about that, but on the roof, job done...

I would love to know how it works. :thumb:

All Agreed, but due to the construction of my roof, I would not use that system.

Doug...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
All Agreed, but due to the construction of my roof, I would not use that system.

Doug...

Im curious now, what is your roof construction? is it GRP or something else?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If its an aluminium type it could well have a sheet just fixed at front,back and edeges no adhesive anywhere alse so sikaflexing a panel on would at the very least distort the roof panel maybe rip it of worse case:Eeek:
as with RVs the rubber membrane has very little glue under it so screw and glue is the order of the day:thumb:
Roof construction is alway a major factoe when fixing anything

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Im curious now, what is your roof construction? is it GRP or something else?

The roof has a final covering of aluminium sheet that is not bonded to the roof (except at the edges and where any fitting pass through, the aluminium sheet is flexible and moves in the wind, (when its very cold you can hear it like a Rolf Harris wobble board).

My motor home is a Swift Suntor 630g.

Doug...

Hankandmarvin

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Cclass swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie

Hi, what screws did you use? I've got the adhesive but want to add some more security with screws but have no idea which screw to use.? I've a 1990 swift kontiki

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
When sikaflex cures it dries more like a hard rubber than a mastic.
It's very strong.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would think fitting solar panels on the roof depends on how the roof is made.
Some seem to have an aluminium skin layer on roof, which is bouncy or some the roof is aluminium bonded and is solid.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used Sika 291i for my panels it is a marine sealant adhesive much stronger than the normal Sika's, For my sat dish I used Sika 292i a marine adhesive with twice the holding strength of 291i.

No point in putting self tappers in an alloy roof the alloy is so thin any force on them they will pull out. Also never use stainless steel self tappers in aluminium as you get electrolysis and the alloy will corrode away around the screw.

I used Stainless socket cap screws and nylock nuts to hold the brackets to the panel, but I coat the screw/nuts/washers with silicone grease as a barrier before fitting so the stainless does not contact the aluminium.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi, what screws did you use? I've got the adhesive but want to add some more security with screws but have no idea which screw to use.? I've a 1990 swift kontiki
Check on what the roof is made of first. Mine is a sandwich of ply and polystyrene so I got some stainless steel ones and liberally coated the Sika all round and on top of them.
Been on now for 13 years, and not had any problems.

Carbongiant

Free Member
Apr 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Just a thought …….. for the air gap it's possible to Sika plastic or metal blocks in place then attach the supplied feet with Sika to those. Even screwing down into those blocks too. That would raise the actual panel to allow a cooling air flow as recommended.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back