runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
what have you done or had done to your van that went wrong

1/ decided to change from oyster dish to dome
uncle pat (lou the leak) ill have that of you no probs so we set about removing my dish
thought what do we do to cover hole in roof pat said not a prob plastic lid loads of silicon

van parked up for 4 weeks then noticed leak around sky light so closed roof completely
water stained seats had them cleaned then 3 days later still leaking removed back of cupboard pan of water every 5 hours new dome fitted sorted no more leaks :winky:
big thanks mark c l s:thumb:

2/ found tap had small leak from tap
not prob put kettle on to boil water to soften pipe (in line filter )
not used to boiling own kettle lit grill never noticed smoke so good job had kettle full of water :Blush:(towel to stop rattle)

result still got slight leak from tap but fire put out
will leave for experts to fix not pat:cry:
mark help:cry: (cls)

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

uncle pat (lou the leak) ill have that of you no probs so we set about removing my dish
thought what do we do to cover hole in roof pat said not a prob plastic lid loads of silicon

van parked up for 4 weeks then noticed leak around sky light so closed roof completely
water stained seats had them cleaned then 3 days later still leaking removed back of cupboard pan of water every 5 hours new dome fitted sorted no more leaks :winky:

not used to boiling own kettle lit grill never noticed smoke so good job had kettle full of water :Blush:(towel to stop rattle)

Ooops! :Doh:

Not the first time that's happened I imagine.

I found out about 10 minutes ago that I'd left the SatNav / Entertainment unit switched on all day - flat battery! Ooops! Mrs. JayDee noticed it. Oh well! Plugged in now, so won't happen again - until the next time. :Smile::Blush:

John

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
When new to motorhomes set off with corner steadies down, ploughed 2 lovely furrows half way across field, before I was stopped.:Doh::Doh:
Never done it again thanks to helpful old stager who saw it happen, told me to place winder across pedals as a reminder never forgot his advice and never done it since.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
mishaps

trying to remove fridge removed all screws nothing to stop it coming out:Blush:

gas pipe ended up with a gas leak :Doh:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
When new to motorhomes set off with corner steadies down, ploughed 2 lovely furrows half way across field, before I was stopped.:Doh::Doh:
Never done it again thanks to helpful old stager who saw it happen, told me to place winder across pedals as a reminder never forgot his advice and never done it since.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've got a wheel clamp so I leave the storage box in the drivers footwell. Reason behind this is when I had a caravan on a site that would store it for you, and either put it on a pitch or you could take it touring, the tractor driver tried to move it with the clamp on. Another thing I sometimes do is sit a checklist on the steering wheel. Bit ott but as I'm new hopefully will stop mishaps.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Going through Rouen in France and sat nav took me down a city centre underpass way too low for the van on a very busy Saturday afternoon , and stupidly took it to work one day forgot to put the handbrake on and it rolled into the managing directors car :Doh: :Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Started to take a van down to dealership from home with a toad on the back, ploughed some big grooves in gravel drive.

Left handbrake on toad!

Fortunately long drive and wife spotted it!

Peter

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've set off several times with the heki roof light open.
We once forgot to take the fishing pole with the funster flag flying from the top , down off the ladders at the back.
Fortunatly we were told before we got out of the field:ROFLMAO:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
When in th US hired a poptop camper, forgot to lower it down and drove from the campsite to the local Mall.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wanted to see the leaning tower of Pisa..

Drove all the way there.. got lost in the back streets.. ended up getting so jammed the police ( who were as good as gold it must be said ) had to open the gates to the grounds of the hospital so we could drive through there to escape..

End result ? 1500 miles to see the flag on the top of the tower as we went past it.. never did get any closer !!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Left rear legs down on caravan.

Got locked out of van on remote CL at 1am when Bruno wanted a pee, was freezing cold and know one to help and only in my pyjamas, ended up bending whole bottom of door needing replacement. When we were robbed they popped it easily

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
forgot to wind the wingard ariel down at knutsford this year in the wettest weekend of the year:rain: and poor Bryan (he's a great guy) came running after us in the downpour to tell us, so pulled up once through the gates from the camping field just past some other motorhomes that were parked so i could wind it down, and had a run in with a warners guy telling me i couldnt stop there...:Angry:.. no points for guessing who won but i put my ariel down and then moved.

Not my fault i forgot it ..... i dont require a google box i prefer to read or play on my lappy ::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We've set off several times with the [HI]heki roof light open[/HI].
[HI]We once forgot to take the fishing pole [/HI]with the funster flag flying from the top , down off the ladders at the back.
Fortunatly we were told before we got out of the field:ROFLMAO:

I’m fairly sure that when one arrives on site and finishes the setting up there is a lot of fun to be had sitting and watching others doing it wrong or differently to how you would have done it.

Much the same happens when mooring a boat. Two years ago we set out for our favourite pile mooring near Lymington Town Quay. We poured the wine and sat in the cockpit and enjoyed some very skilled yachtsmen make it look very easy and less skilled newbies cocking it up. One fellow made such a mess of coming along side he caused damage to several other boats.

Bear in mind it’s impossible to help with 50 meters of water in between. The following morning the newbie decided to leave first as he was on the outside of the raft. We watched him double check everything, single up all lines and prepare for the off. He had a little bit of tide running which once out would have helped him.

Finally he checked that the dinghy was secure to the after end of his vessel and called to his wife to let go forward whilst he let go aft and gave the vessel a few revs.

He seemed to be doing very well until the boat began to slow, he gave it some more revs and then even more. He then looked to see what it was that was holding him back.

It was then that he remembered that the previous night he had secured the after end of his dinghy to the shore side cleat and it was still secured. By this time the engine was straining at about 3000 revs and the inflatable dinghy was twice as long as half as wide as when he’d let go, like a big rubber band. He reduced his revs but by this time the tide had him and was carrying him down stream. By the time a neighbouring skipper had seen the problem and leapt to his aid armed with a knife to release the dinghy the towing vessel had hit two of the boats that he’d hit the night before.

The morale of this is make sure you remove your HU when driving off site, I didn’t but remembered just before it became a problem.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Parked up for the night in the middle of a vine yard on a France Passion site with wind out awning out. Next morning wound it in along with some tree branch managed to wind it all the way in before noticing the branch sticking out. Again windount awning wound in with shuttlecock on top of it when wound out again it had the shape of the shuttlecock in it took me about half an hour to work out what this funny shape was:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
oooh nooo!

Many years ago When I was A callow youth on my first trip,in a hired VW with all my callow friends we drove down a ramp to an underground car park in San Sebastien and we were discussing how high is 2 metres when suddenly we stopped with a mighty crunch we got out gingerly and observed the font roof rack which was fully laden with camping gear was jammed fast under a cable tray with many many cables some of which were damaged :Doh:paul our driver tried to reverse:Eeek: much grinding :Sad:suddenly a small spanish chap appeared looked at the damage swore at us then told us to let some air out of the front tyres and vamos andaly or words to that effect stupidos englesi :thumb:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
oooh noooo part two!

:Smile:Drove up the M6 once with the dormobile roof up as I had forgotten to put the rubber thingys on and went over a bump up went the flipping roof I had to drive for quite a while before it was safe to stop got some very strange looks from other drivers :RollEyes:

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d

edd i have told you about listening to pat ? you will just end up with a load of gadgets that not even anygood for a car booty :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have a cadac which is served from the gas within the motorhome. Unfortunately I hadnt secured the connection to the cadac too well, lit it up went up the site for a pee and saw 3 foot flames which looked pretty dam close to the front of the van. Usain could not have run faster to get to the cadac !

When caravanning for a weeked down Newquay took 12 year old daughter and 2 friends. First time camping so put them out in the (universal) awning extension. Couldnt be bothered to put it up properly and it peed down with rain. Huge puddle formed (possibly the size of a bath) and the legs gave way under the weight meaning that 30 gallons of freezing rain water fell through, bounced and splattered all 3 of them at 0300 hrs whilst they were fast asleep. "Oops" was my eventual response to waking up to their screams !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
When we were "newbies" with the caravan, hubby forgot to tighten the jockey wheel just after we arrived at Craigie Gardens, Ayr, the caravan ended up nose down, back end up in the air and the jockey wheel collapsed completely:Doh::Doh:
We're sure this provided much amusement to everyone else sitting outside their vans and those watching with interest from inside.:Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Going through Rouen in France and sat nav took me down a city centre underpass way too low for the van on a very busy Saturday afternoon , and stupidly took it to work one day forgot to put the handbrake on and it rolled into the managing directors car :Doh: :Doh:

We did exactly the same thing last June. Same underpass I would think.

The first we knew of it was when we heard a loud crash. We had hit one of those hanging warning signs for height restrictions. It was rush hour and we had to keep going. we made it under the tunnel with inches to spare. Smashed our roof light - £150:Sad:

We were crapping it on the way home but sat nav took us a different way entirely.::bigsmile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Going through Rouen in France and sat nav took me down a city centre underpass way too low for the van on a very busy Saturday afternoon ,
I did the same thing on what must have been the same underpass at Rouen. Fortunately hit the height barrier but stopped before hitting the underpass itself but it was a hairy moment! Jean had to get out and back up the traffic lined up behind me so I could get out and go around it!
Wyn

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Had a very near miss just yesterday. MH was parked in front of the house on the road, it's quite narrow so I folded in the driver's side door mirror. Went to set off later and reached out of the window to flip out the mirror - just as a bus went past, missing the mirror (and my hand) by about an inch! A sweaty moment indeed. :Doh:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Me & her indoors/ SAT NAVS

I say her indoors, as that is her part of ship (as we say in the military) Being EX military I have a set routine for leaving port, I do the outside and my lady wife looks after the interior, the cupboards and sky lights etc. Before we depart we do a verbal check and usually everything is OK but I recently lost a golf umbrella as I hung it on the bike rack to dry and we drove off and lost it. So if you find a red and yellow striped umbrella somewhere in France can you pse return it!!
Sat Navs are an AID to navigation and its amazing how many follow it to the letter and end up in trouble We met a Dutch couple at Rocamadour recently with a HUGE Hymer and they got stuck in a village, Yes stuck! as the van was larger than the gap and to get through they scratched the van on both sides. Never use a map they said as the sat nav is good enough for them!!!!! As my wife drives I do the navigation (otherwise we would never get there) I always have a map on my lap and give her instructions. So far so good!!!:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
We did exactly the same thing last June. Same underpass I would think.

The first we knew of it was when we heard a loud crash. We had hit one of those hanging warning signs for height restrictions. It was rush hour and we had to keep going. we made it under the tunnel with inches to spare. Smashed our roof light - £150:Sad:

We were crapping it on the way home but sat nav took us a different way entirely.::bigsmile:

make that 4 of us!!, fortunately we didn't hit it, screeching brakes just stopped us short...and there was no traffic so a swift reverse and off we went down the right lane... disaster and embarrassment averted

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I did the same thing on what must have been the same underpass at Rouen. Fortunately hit the height barrier but stopped before hitting the underpass itself but it was a hairy moment! Jean had to get out and back up the traffic lined up behind me so I could get out and go around it!
Wyn

Sat nav said take the left lane which led straight down to the underpass , I hit the warning barrier too and pulled up in front of the underpass , only one problem it was a very very busy Saturday afternoon and I had lots of very irate Frenchmen wildly gesticulating behind me , my co-pilot Ann had to jump out too and brave the hordes to get me back to the escape lane ... Happy days :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back