Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
having survived out first trip to a CC site where I dutifully collected my grey water into one of those caravan wheely things and took it to the emtying point. I wondered what the right thing to do is in general

Before leaving I half emptied my water tank ( unused drinking water) under a hedge via a long hose. So I had a bit of water in the tank for the loo flush on the journey back etc.
The hedge thanked me :)

What is the right way of handing these water types ?

We found if we wanted to make a cup of tea it was easier to fill the kettle up from the nearby drinking water tap.........so grey water was only a bit of handwashing and washing up and a shower. We did this as caravanners too.

barry

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Barry

I am assuming you have a waste tank.

Our normal method is fill up on arrival, Dump on leaving.
If site has MH service point easy, just dump grey down grey waste drain, if not there is normally somewhere to dump every time you go out.

We use fresh tank for every thing OK if sterilised occasionally, on last night don't fill dump fresh water at home. Dump waste as usual on leaving. I only ever carry waste or fresh water if I can't be bothered to move MH. You can normally get at least 2 days into waste tank, and 2days from fresh.There is no right or wrong method, this is mine others may differ, whatever suits you is correct.

There is a topic on sterilising tanks running at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Hi Barry

I am assuming you have a waste tank.

Our normal method is fill up on arrival, Dump on leaving.
If site has MH service point easy, just dump grey down grey waste drain, if not there is normally somewhere to dump every time you go out.

We use fresh tank for every thing OK if sterilised occasionally, on last night don't fill dump fresh water at home. Dump waste as usual on leaving. I only ever carry waste or fresh water if I can't be bothered to move MH. You can normally get at least 2 days into waste tank, and 2days from fresh.There is no right or wrong method, this is mine others may differ, whatever suits you is correct.

There is a topic on sterilising tanks running at the moment.

Yes have waste tank/

When you say" there is somewhere to dump every time you go out "
Do you mean in a layby or somewhere like that ? Or by the side of the road ?

barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Not by the roadside you can get done for that normally there is always a drain somewhere on most sites and if moving on from site to site it's just a case of finding it. As a last resort use bucket or waste hog if you have one.

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
There is a drain in the road right outside my house. It's a very quiet cul de sac, only 4 houses so no traffic and I can dump grey water directly into the drain.

Am I ok doing this??

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi

As long as you are not caught and you get on with the neighbours OK but some drains are for rain water only, and do not lead into sewer. We have one in our back garden that goes to sewer front drain only for rain according to council workman I spoke to. Can only believe him.

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
There is a drain in the road right outside my house. It's a very quiet cul de sac, only 4 houses so no traffic and I can dump grey water directly into the drain.

Am I ok doing this??
Not really. The drain is probably a surface water drain and your grey water should go into a foul drain.
Bit of general reading:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/drainage.htm
(good site in general, too)

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
Thanks all. It's clear. I won't do that again.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
Prior to 1992 it was common practise for all foul and surface water to be directed to one single manhole and then to the main sewer. Most modern constructions since then direct the suface water to 'Soak aways' allowing it to disperse through the natural strata. With the foul water only conected to the main sewers, The main reason for this was that the sewage treatment plants could no longer cope with the large amounts of water discharged from huge housing estates.
The foul water is collected at the nearest sewage depot and treated.
In 2010 this actually came on the statute list nationally.
The water Boards estimate about 12% of all drainage is managed this way and will take approx. 100 yrs until the whole system is as required.
Until then we do but try.
Best Regards, Mac

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Phil raises a good point that has puzzled me a little. Our drainage point for grey water is right in the middle of the vehicle, just to the rear of the back axle. It is opened by pulling on a long handle. There is no way a discharge hose can be fitted and it is too far underneath to reach for a "bucket and chuck it" solution when there is no servicing point at the site.

So far I have been able to straddle the discharge grid but some sites have either quite small ones which require pinpoint accuracy ( the infinite male problem) or to one side which can be even worse.

On sites where I have struggled to empty the tank I always give feedback (in a very positive manner) to explain our difficulty.

I think my only answer on CLs without such a grid is a Wastemaster but the problem is not the ÂŁ45 but storing it for the journey.

Steve

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Steve

The way I found of getting over the central disposal system, was to use a small rain water hopper, with a length of piping long enough to come out side, either side makes it easier. Put a couple of short legs on hopper size to fit height required to bring hopper to outlet.

If made so they come apart not too bad to store, I was lucky had a garage.
Not a perfect solution always some overspill but a bit less hit and miss when no central grid. I am fortunate this van goes sideways, and comes with a flexi hose.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back