steralising motorhome fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
Hi folks please can anyone tell me whats the best thing to sterilise our fresh water tank with. milton? steredent? im at work so i gotta b quick.

thx gail

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I have for years used Campden Tablets obtainable from brewing shops or on line.
5 tablets will do 100ltr tank, as a guide to number required.

Empty tank, crush tablets into a jug of hot water pour into tank fill with cold to mix, then pump through pipes etc.
Leave for a few hours drain rinse through done.

These are used in brewing and wine industry good enough for them then fine for me. It also has the advantage of no after taste.

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Hi Gail

We have been using Puriclean powder.
Provided you know your tank capicity it works well.

I was going to use Milton but did read somewhere that can cause problems within the heating system as the water is all drawn from the one tank. I am not sure if this is correct but I am sure someone here will correct me if it is wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It also has the advantage of no after taste.
Do you drink the water from your onboard tanks :whatthe: ???*
I'd have thought drinking water would be of the bottled variety - especially perhaps not knowing the provenance of the tap supply which fills your tanks in some instances.

*( Please forgive this pre-trainee MH owner's dumb questions :RollEyes: )

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Do you drink the water from your onboard tanks :whatthe: ???*
I'd have thought drinking water would be of the bottled variety - especially perhaps not knowing the provenance of the tap supply which fills your tanks in some instances.

*( Please forgive this pre-trainee MH owner's dumb questions :RollEyes: )

I know people do use bottled water, but we never have always drunk tank water. In the last few years have started to filter water, first using a NaturePure, but have since changed vans and Hobby comes with a built in filter.

The main reason for filtering in our case my wife likes herbal tea and is very fussy on taste, we even use a Brita filter jug at home for this reason. Prior to this for all our caravanning, or motorhoming we have never drunk bottled water and never had any problems. Out side the UK I might think differently but as the only border we cross is into Scotland I don't worry.

I think people spend too much money on bottled water as they have been brainwashed into it by advertising, apart from that how do you know that's pure if its from a spring, and if as some people do you fill up bottles from site taps how do they always know bottles are clean they don't sterilise after every use, so what's the difference.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We always fill our tank at the aire or camp site taps in France the same as we do in England. Is the only water we use in the van, for everything (apart from Tesco's flavoured fizzy water which we do like so take some with us but that wouldn't last a fortnight!)

We work on the principle that we normally drink tea or coffee and boil the water so ..... but merrily clean our teeth with it, wash salad etc in it - either we both have cast iron constitutions or we are doing something right.

If you drink water of itself then for all I know there may be a noticeable difference in taste as Desco said, but the only time I ever do it's a quick swig to wash pills down with!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think people spend too much money on bottled water as they have been brainwashed into it by advertising, apart from that how do you know that's pure if its from a spring, and if as some people do you fill up bottles from site taps how do they always know bottles are clean they don't sterilise after every use, so what's the difference.

Never a truer word.. it is one big con and a waste of scarce hydrocarbon resources .. also a huge problem with disposal of empty bottles.. and where do you you think the bottle factory gets it's water ... the municipal supply that's where.. and if it was ultra pure, why is there a use by date on the bottle.. ?

For peace of mind and the best tasting water ever, as suggested, buy a Nature Pure filter, you can drink canal water after it's been though it.. (they do a demo of this at the shows) .. Not cheap, but it will pay for itself in next to no time.. Even in Morocco we never bought bottled.. it is that good :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gail you can use all the above :thumb::Rofl1 I do ours at the beginning of the year just to please the wife ::bigsmile: I give a good squirt of normal household bleach and fill the tank,run it through the pipe work boiler etc then leave a few hours and dump it all.Give the system a good flush through then just fill the system and top it up for the rest of the year.Water already has chemicals added from the water works to kill bacteria etc and is safe to drink. :winky:I use the tank water for everything but SWMBO uses bottled water for everything ::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:We only use bottled water filled from the tap :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky:Me I am too tight to buy bottled water so I let her have her own way by filling the 5 ltr empty clear bottles with tap water :thumb: that way she can see there are no nastiness in the bottle.:thumb: It breaks my heart when the silly little blue handle breaks and I have to buy another bottle to replace it with :Doh::thumb:I do keep an eye open for the BOG-OFF offers etc on the 5 ltr bottles so they work out about 75p for the bottle full and I get around 20 /30 refills before the handle breaks :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:I have bought a couple of opaque 10 and 20ltr bottles with taps on but these tend to leak and again they are not as clear as the 5 ltr variety ones so that causes arguments,and I realize when I have lost :Doh: and only want a peaceful life so settle for thr 5 ltr ones :thumb:REFILLED from the tap :thumb::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we use our tanks water for everything.
and using a bit of info from when i had fish tanks i try to fill the tank on a friday evening.
as when i kept fish they always said never top up the tank with fresh water on a weekend.
as the water companies put more chlorine in for the weekends as they are having time off.
besides we live in the van so its always in use and always has a clean supply going in every few days.

OP
OP
G

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
bottled water yuk!

I never drink bottled water, well if I had nothing else I would but give me good old fashioned tap stuff every time. Were thinking just flush the tank through with something very mild, oh and cheap.

Thanks to everyone for your help.:thumb:

OP
OP
G

gail

Free Member
May 27, 2010
North wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2010
chlorine

Wow you really do learn something every day, "extra chlorine in the water works at weekends to allow for time off" never thought about that. Will in future!

Gail

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I never drink bottled water, well if I had nothing else I would but give me good old fashioned tap stuff every time. Were thinking just flush the tank through with something very mild, oh and cheap.

Thanks to everyone for your help.:thumb:

From memory the price of Campden tablets £2.50 for 50 tablets on line

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years
:Smile:

Why do so many people think the tank needs steralising, the water from the tap has so many chemicals in it that the bugs don't stand a chance.

How many people have been up in the loft lately and looked in the cold water tank let alone cleaned it, I have seen many tanks without lids and with all sort of creatures including mice floating in them. :Eeek:

:Angry:As for bottled water, what a con:Angry:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005

Why do so many people think the tank needs steralising, the water from the tap has so many chemicals in it that the bugs don't stand a chance.

How many people have been up in the loft lately and looked in the cold water tank let alone cleaned it, I have seen many tanks without lids and with all sort of creatures including mice floating in them. :Eeek:

The cold water usually comes directly to house taps from the mains. (Try turning off your main stop tap and try the taps)

Any 'cold water' tanks in lofts will be header tanks for the hot water system.

As to the 'van tanks.

We tried the water through the van when we first bought and OT thought there was a 'funny taste/smell'. He blames the plastic pipes and cleaning hasnt removed the faint taste.

I use the onboard tanks for everything except drinks, and we just refill 5ltr bottles from the taps for these.

OH uses the bottled water for tooth rinsing.

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Roger has used both the tablets & Puriclean but we always take big bottles of fresh water with us to make sure we are safe.

My immune system is not what is should be so I have to be extra careful, if you don't have enough room in the van for bottles you can always keep them in the boot of your car or awning.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi TT ,Gypsylady IS CORRECT THAT THE TANKS IN YOUR LOFT FEED THE HOT-WATER SYSTEM and yes they sometimes loose there lids and get the odd rodent in :ROFLMAO:That is why you should not fill the kettle from the HW tap -- In a old house -:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years
The cold water usually comes directly to house taps from the mains. (Try turning off your main stop tap and try the taps)

Any 'cold water' tanks in lofts will be header tanks for the hot water system.

As to the 'van tanks.

We tried the water through the van when we first bought and OT thought there was a 'funny taste/smell'. He blames the plastic pipes and cleaning hasnt removed the faint taste.

I use the onboard tanks for everything except drinks, and we just refill 5ltr bottles from the taps for these.

OH uses the bottled water for tooth rinsing.

I think usually is the operative word here, I have spent the last 10 years fiddling with peoples pipes and yes in modern houses it is rare to find this, but as recently as yesterday I was in a 60s house with three bathrooms and two of these the cold water was fed from a galvanized tank with no lid. I have only once seen the cold in the kitchen fed like this, but people clean their teeth, and have a mouthful at night from the upstairs bathroom.

Terry there is no need to shout!!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In the last 11 years my wife and I have spent about 6 of those years living in a boat or in our motor home, during that time we both drank the tank water, lately (3 years) we have fitted a nature pure water filter, but that was only to get rid of the chlorine taste.

There is more than enough chlorine in European tap water to keep you water fit to drink, so why add more and make the off taste stronger but make the water no more suitable for drinking.

Doug...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think usually is the operative word here, I have spent the last 10 years fiddling with peoples pipes and yes in modern houses it is rare to find this, but as recently as yesterday I was in a 60s house with three bathrooms and two of these the cold water was fed from a galvanized tank with no lid. I have only once seen the cold in the kitchen fed like this, but people clean their teeth, and have a mouthful at night from the upstairs bathroom.

Terry there is no need to shout!!

Sorry TT I hit the caps lock and typed before looking :ROFLMAO: then could not be bothered to type it again :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
As Scotjimland says,Naturepure water filter.I fitted one to the cold water system,brilliant piece of kit.

Regards, john p:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
we use our tanks water for everything.
and using a bit of info from when i had fish tanks i try to fill the tank on a friday evening.
as when i kept fish they always said never top up the tank with fresh water on a weekend.
[HI]
as the water companies put more chlorine in for the weekends as they are having time off.
[/HI]besides we live in the van so its always in use and always has a clean supply going in every few days.

Do you really believe that something as important as our national water supply does not work shift work over weekends?? :Doh:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Well it has given me a laugh.

Extra chlorine in the water for the weekend:ROFLMAO: And cold water from a tank in the loft:ROFLMAO:

Do you really believe this?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well it has given me a laugh.

[HI]Extra chlorine in the water for the weekend:[/HI]Rofl1: And cold water from a tank in the loft:ROFLMAO:

Do you really believe this?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Craig

Given me a laugh too... having worked in the industry .. :roflmto:

I've also said this many times about Milton and sterilising a fresh water system .. I would add that the same method is used in sterilising commercial fresh water systems in large buildings, office blocks, factories etc ..

I've copy pasted.. from a previous post ..

From Milton Fluid product information

NGREDIENTS
Sodium Chloride 16.5% w/v (salt)

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Sodium Hypochloride 2% w/v (Bleach)

In other words, a salt solution containing common bleach

My question..

why do people buy it at ~ £1.50 per 500 ml when the active ingredient can be bought for £1.50 per gallon .. at about 5% w/v

I appreciate it is safer to use by the very nature of it being a weak solution .. important for mums who use it for baby sterilising etc .. but I'm intrigued why people buy it to chuck down a drain or clean a grey / black tank ?

The other use I see advocated ( for Milton ) is sterilizing fresh water tanks and pipework .. again why, when bleach in a weak solution does exactly the same job.

To sterilize a fresh water system ...

Quantities need to adjusted depending on tank size.. this is for a 50 - 70 gal tank

1. Add about 1 cup of bleach to holding tank and fill up with water
2. Pump through to each tap, including the shower head.
3. Leave for a 30 mins
4. Drain down tank, fill with fresh and pump through each tap until you can taste fresh water, do this twice.

It's a good idea to also sterilize your filling hose at the same time.. use a small funnel to add a small amount of bleach to the hose, fill up and leave for 30 mins then flush through.

Do this once per year or at start of season if van has been in storage.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Given me a laugh too... having worked in the industry .. :roflmto:

I've also said this many times about Milton and sterilising a fresh water system .. I would add that the same method is used in sterilising commercial fresh water systems in large buildings, office blocks, factories etc ..

I've copy pasted.. from a previous post ..

From Milton Fluid product information

NGREDIENTS
Sodium Chloride 16.5% w/v (salt)

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Sodium Hypochloride 2% w/v (Bleach)

In other words, a salt solution containing common bleach

My question..

why do people buy it at ~ £1.50 per 500 ml when the active ingredient can be bought for £1.50 per gallon .. at about 5% w/v

I appreciate it is safer to use by the very nature of it being a weak solution .. important for mums who use it for baby sterilising etc .. but I'm intrigued why people buy it to chuck down a drain or clean a grey / black tank ?

The other use I see advocated ( for Milton ) is sterilizing fresh water tanks and pipework .. again why, when bleach in a weak solution does exactly the same job.

To sterilize a fresh water system ...

Quantities need to adjusted depending on tank size.. this is for a 50 - 70 gal tank

1. Add about 1 cup of bleach to holding tank and fill up with water
2. Pump through to each tap, including the shower head.
3. Leave for a 30 mins
4. Drain down tank, fill with fresh and pump through each tap until you can taste fresh water, do this twice.

It's a good idea to also sterilize your filling hose at the same time.. use a small funnel to add a small amount of bleach to the hose, fill up and leave for 30 mins then flush through.

Do this once per year or at start of season if van has been in storage.

Hi Jim, try Morry's @ 28p for 5ltrs-value bleach :thumb:AGREE with everything you have said in this post :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, try Morry's @ 28p for 5ltrs-value bleach :thumb:AGREE with everything you have said in this post :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Hi Terry.. indeed, I was thinking 'posh' bleach .. :winky:

I think Tesco do an 'own brand' for about same .. makes it dirt cheap to keep clean ... :roflmto: ..always worth checking the strength.. some cheap brands are less than the 5% w/v .

For sterilizing equipment in the food factory and salad / veg washing, we bought it in at 50% w/v ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim just another couple of uses for it,I use it for spraying on my limestone wall and block paving to kill all the moss and green slime :thumb: plus stick a cupful of washing powder type liquid in the spray with it to remove black streaks off the van ::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim just another couple of uses for it,I use it for spraying on my limestone wall and block paving to kill all the moss and green slime :thumb: plus stick a cupful of washing powder type liquid in the spray with it to remove black streaks off the van ::bigsmile:
terry
Good tips :thumb:

I also use it for cleaning the awning fabric..

Bucket of warm water, squirt of washing up liquid and a cup of bleach..

Extend awning, scrub on both sides, roll up and leave for 30 mins or so, open and hose off.. like new :thumb:

Also..I've seen some dirty beggers washing toilets at site taps so I always spray bleach onto tap and up spout before using . You get some odd looks but I don't care.. better that than a nasty infection..

Use to clean salad .. just a few drops in a basin of water, wash the salad then rinse with fresh water..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back