FYI 'ON TOW' magnetic rear sign.. (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
For those of us with 'TOADS' it might be of interest that I have managed to source
a Magnetic backed flexible/bendy 'ON TOW' sign for the rear of the 'Toad'

@ www.applesigns.co.uk after some searching. for abot £6..

TOWTAL informed me that they had run out of stock..[2 wks ago] and are awating new delivery

IMHO Although I do realise that we smaller RV's + Toads do NOT need them it seemed to me to be sensible for following traffic [despite having No plate + Warning Triangles]

Bright reflective Yellow/Red stripy colour strip- about the same size as a No plate.
If you have a Smart 'Toad' then you will have to adapt as it does not stick to their Rear end !:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
But not if you like your paintwork!

They leave a 'staining' on the paint, without going scientific on you. If you can, either get a window mounted, or attach a strip of velcro for a removable window sign.:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Also they're wrong!

They should read "IN TOW"

But thanks for the information

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,
Thanks for the info, must get one despite having number plate and tiangles(nobody seems to know what they are for) people still hold back from overtaking waiting for my driverless Fiat Panda to go first!
Any just ordered one off ebay £5.99

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Why bother? They aren't required on any trailer, of any size, and people tend to take no notice of them anyway.
Its like having "Show dogs on board", "I slow down for horses" or "Take care, baby on board" signs in the back window. No one makes any allowances.
Spend your £6 on 2 pints of beer.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Proper beer (guiness) is nearer to £3.30.

Yes I know. It always amazes me we moan (and rightly so) about the price of deisel. At the moment less than a pound a pint.
When you consider the cost of offshore drilling,transport,refining & retailing ikts realy quite a bargin when you consider what they make out of beer, water,malt,hops & yeast how do we get 4 times the price of fuel

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Also they're wrong!

They should read "IN TOW"

But thanks for the information

Eddie

In the states maybe, but not here:Doh:

give sb/sth a tow to pull someone's vehicle using a rope or chain tied to your vehicle When my car broke down, a police car gave me a tow to the nearest garage.

on tow UK (US in tow , Australian also under tow) being pulled along

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi,
Thanks for the info, must get one despite having number plate and tiangles(nobody seems to know what they are for) people still hold back from overtaking waiting for my driverless Fiat Panda to go first!
Any just ordered one off ebay £5.99

Offhand I believe Road Vehicles (Lighting) Regs state that triangular red reflectors may (that word MAY) be fitted to trailers. That being the case, I dont know if learner drivers are made aware of the significance of them.
In ordering some rather than buying beer, at least the plates will be there to look at longer than the beer would!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

give sb/sth a towto pull someone's vehicle using a rope or chain tied to your vehicle When my car broke down, a police car gave me a tow to the nearest garage.

on towUK (US in tow , Australian also under tow) being pulled along

Wrong:Doh::Doh:

The "The ship was IN TOW" :RollEyes: The parents were in front, with the children IN TOW :RollEyes: etc

It is an English word that is a preposition or an adverb What the Yanks do doesn't count as English:winky:

Eddie

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

The "The ship was IN TOW" :RollEyes: The parents were in front, with the children IN TOW :RollEyes: etc

It is an English word that is a preposition or an adverb What the Yanks do doesn't count as English:winky:

Eddie
So, it would appear both the english dictionary I copied and pasted from and I, are both wrong, Amazing what you can learn on here:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In or On Tow ?

I concur with Geo ..

In Tow

If you have someone 'in tow' , they are following you because you are taking or leading them somewhere, you do not have them 'on tow' unless you are physically pulling them.

On Tow

Being towed by another vehicle or boat using a rope, chain, etc.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
:whatthe:
I concur with Geo ..

In Tow

If you have someone 'in tow' , they are following you because you are taking or leading them somewhere, you do not have them 'on tow' unless you are physically pulling them.

On Tow

Being towed by another vehicle or boat using a rope, chain, etc.

In tow, on tow who cares! Anyway on a simular vein do's a horse pull (tow)
a cart or push a cart ?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

give sb/sth a tow to pull someone's vehicle using a rope or chain tied to your vehicle When my car broke down, a police car gave me a tow to the nearest garage.

on tow UK (US in tow , Australian also under tow) being pulled along

Eddie

Given that there is no requirement to display a sign indicating the trailer is being towed (like that, eh?)
Who cares if its in / on tow?
How about a sign saying "Being Towed"?:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So, it would appear both the english dictionary I copied and pasted from and I, are both wrong, Amazing what you can learn on here:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes Quite:winky:

Eddie

I bought magnetic IN TOW signs ages ago from a commercial towing centre. I only put them on to stop plonkers overtaking/hopping down a line of traffic forcing their way in, only to find out that there is no one to give way to them in the Terios :roflmto:

I think that the nautical "in tow" comes from the international collision regulations. It states things like "when the towing vessel is engaged in towing operations" and the "vessel taken in tow"

I guess that in this day and age it doesn't matter a hoot anyway:thumb:

Eddie

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes Quite:winky:

Eddie

I bought magnetic IN TOW signs ages ago from a commercial towing centre. I only put them on to stop plonkers overtaking/hopping down a line of traffic forcing their way in, only to find out that there is no one to give way to them in the Terios :roflmto:

I think that the nautical "in tow" comes from the international collision regulations. It states things like "when the towing vessel is engaged in towing operations" and the "vessel taken in tow"

I guess that in this day and age it doesn't matter a hoot anyway:thumb:

Eddie
Well I couldn't leave it there Eddie what with me and the dictionary being wrong
I decided to take the claim to the Almighty, yes thats right e-bay:ROFLMAO:
Tried to buy an IN TOW sign and guess what, there are two for sale
Both in America:Doh:
Not to out done I googled IN TOW signs, Nope:RollEyes: ON TOW only:Doh:
Guess you are the only one who's heard of em
Dont realy know why im that bothered mine says LONG VEHICLE:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I couldn't leave it there Eddie what with me and the dictionary being wrong
I decided to take the claim to the Almighty, yes thats right e-bay:ROFLMAO:
Tried to buy an IN TOW sign and guess what, there are two for sale
Both in America:Doh:
Not to out done I googled IN TOW signs, Nope:RollEyes: ON TOW only:Doh:
Guess you are the only one who's heard of em
Dont realy know why im that bothered mine says LONG VEHICLE:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Well Obviously I wouldn't use them on a European motorhome, only one an RV and I would use a commercial "long vehicle" sign if I were driving a HGV :ROFLMAO:

"I am taking a vehicle in tow" sounds so much better than "I am taking a vehicle on tow"

Eddie:winky:

ps whats our take on A frames and Gas alarms :roflmto::roflmto:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Rather boringly on Topic ::bigsmile: - many moons ago when Adam was a lad and I was learning to drive but Husband Mk I did not wish to be afflicted by L plates when I wasn't driving so didn't want the normal cheapo tie-on sort, I raised me eyes heavenward and purchased a set of more expensive magnetic ones. We set off to do the couple of miles from our house in Kidderminster near the West Mids Safari Park to my sister's, the same side of the river in Bewdley.

The front one flew off by the chip shop and the rear one had gone by the time we drew onto her drive ....... :cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is a 'LONG'ISH VEHICLE' sign available ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back