Free Member
May 19, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Not mine
Exp
Hello,
I do not own a motorhome and nor do I plan on purchasing but I would like some help in organising a trip for my grandfather.
My grandfather loves his motorhome and used to travel around various areas of europe every year with my grandmother. He lost his beloved wife last April and since then has been battling cancer. He has just finished his chemotherapy and I know he would love to get back on the road again for one last trip (even if he will be travelling alone this time). He has always spoke about getting his motorhome to Canada and meeting with canadian relatives and he once read about a couple travelling from Germany to Canada because it was cheaper. So I know it is possible somehow.
After a quick google search I couldn't really find much out there so I was hoping that some of you experienced motorhomers would be able to offer some assistance. We live in Northern Ireland but it is not a big deal to depart from other areas of the UK or Europe.
What options are available if you wanted to take your motorhome to Canada or America? Has anybody got any experiences of this?

Thank you for all your help

Anna xx

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hello,
I do not own a motorhome and nor do I plan on purchasing but I would like some help in organising a trip for my grandfather.
My grandfather loves his motorhome and used to travel around various areas of europe every year with my grandmother. He lost his beloved wife last April and since then has been battling cancer. He has just finished his chemotherapy and I know he would love to get back on the road again for one last trip (even if he will be travelling alone this time). He has always spoke about getting his motorhome to Canada and meeting with canadian relatives and he once read about a couple travelling from Germany to Canada because it was cheaper. So I know it is possible somehow.
After a quick google search I couldn't really find much out there so I was hoping that some of you experienced motorhomers would be able to offer some assistance. We live in Northern Ireland but it is not a big deal to depart from other areas of the UK or Europe.
What options are available if you wanted to take your motorhome to Canada or America? Has anybody got any experiences of this?

Thank you for all your help

Anna xx

Hi Anna (hope that's your name)

Don't have any details for you of how but I took this photo in Vancouver last May & if you look closely you may see it's a German registered MH, so it's definitely doable.

Attachments

• DSCI0803.JPG
    DSCI0803.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As was posted in a previous thread some time ago, there is a German group that ships to the States from Hamburg and Rotterdam.
I was talking to one of there members several years ago and he had done a few trips and was finishing the last of the states the following year. Other than that I cannot help other than to assure you it can and is done.

Best of luck with your plans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Rent an RV and fly over/back, much cheaper than trying to drive there.

If hes set on taking his own motorhome you can ship them by roll on roll off ship return cost would be around £3-4k:Eeek: (as i said renting one will be much cheaper!!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Ladyanna

Free Member
May 19, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Not mine
Exp
Thanks. I will keep searching for this German company that keeps cropping up.

I know that it would be much cheaper to rent one once he is there but his sentimental attachment to his own van is priceless.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
There are no RoRo ferries to Canada or USA that take cars/motorhomes and passengers, the ones listed as RoRo are for freight and large trucks that don't fit in containers.

Your best bet is to look up and call shipping agents in Belfast and make enquires re shipping the motorhome .. he would need to fly out and collect his MH at the dock in Canada. He would also need to organise temporary import license and MH insurance.. Insurance will need a Canadian address, this could probably be the relatives but you need to check this.

As said by dazzer, it is expensive and it would be cheaper and less hassle to fly and rent an RV, unless he is planning a very long stay .

good luck

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
This isnt meant as a downer but please check that you can get him medical cover before you commit to any plans or tell him what you have arranged. With the big C you might find that cover is not offered for Canada or the States - as happened to my neighbour last year he didnt know he had cancer but had recently been to the doctors with some concerns,thought no more about it and had booked flights when the doctor asked him to call in. Couldnt get medical cover from anyone and had devils own job getting refunds from the airline.

Upvote 0

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We've done Canada 5 times now and always fly over. The first 4 times we hired motorhomes from Frazerway RV until eventually last year we got fed up of hiring and bought a trailer. We have relatives out there who loan us a towing vehicle but the insurance for this is very high (due to the fact that we're not residents of the country) so I would imagine insuring a motorhome that you take over would be very expensive.
Last year it cost us about £400 for 6 weeks cover and my cousins wife is the insurance agent at that! We've always been okay using our relatives address for the insurance.

If it's a long trip you're planning, another alternative to renting would be to buy one and then sell it again after the trip.

Good luck with your search.

Gill

Upvote 0

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've done Canada 5 times now and always fly over. The first 4 times we hired motorhomes from Frazerway RV until eventually last year we got fed up of hiring and bought a trailer. We have relatives out there who loan us a towing vehicle but the insurance for this is very high (due to the fact that we're not residents of the country) so I would imagine insuring a motorhome that you take over would be very expensive.
Last year it cost us about £400 for 6 weeks cover and my cousins wife is the insurance agent at that! We've always been okay using our relatives address for the insurance.

If it's a long trip you're planning, another alternative to renting would be to buy one and then sell it again after the trip.

Good luck with your search.

Gill

Hi Anna,
Hope your grandfather is recovering. I to was struck down with throat cancer last year and finished chemo & radio last September. I felt fine after chemo, but it kills the good bits as well as the bad. And later on became weaker,Please make sure he is ok I know myself how he feels.
It has only been the last few weeks that I have been strong enough to drive my Motorhome.
Sorry to be a damp scwib but please be careful
Kind regards Geoff

Upvote 0

markyprior

Free Member
May 20, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Truck Conversion
Exp
Canadian Insurance

Hi,

I am in the process of doing just this.

We have arranged shipping with Phoenix Aircargo which should cost around £2.5k when all fees at both ends are taken into account.

Insurance is tricky but I am in conversation with two insurers:

Alessie Insurance who are based in The Netherlands
Thum Insurance who are based in North America.

Both have indicated that they will be willing to insure a Uk registered motorhome in North America. There are others but they require a trip start in the USA.

We're planning to start driving in Canada and keep going to Argentina so we needed to own the camper which is why we are shipping.

Regards,

Mark

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back