Here’s the new official French guidelines blind spot stickers (4 Viewers)

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
As of January 1st 2021, all heavy vehicles in France (both goods and passenger transport vehicles) must be fitted with a sign to inform others about their vehicle’s blind spots. Failure to comply with this obligation may result in a 4th class fine which is usually 136 euros but in a worst-case scenario, it can be as much as 750 euros. The French government has published details on where to stick the signs on the vehicle.

Although, the new regulation already applies from January 1st, clarification of the law was only published two days ago, on 6 January.------

What vehicles have to have blind spot stickers?​

All heavy vehicles over 3,5 tonnes, including foreign lorries travelling in France, have to be fitted with an infographic sticker informing other road-users about their vehicle’s blind spots, according to the decree published by the French Ministry of Ecological Transition on November 20th.

Where should the stickers be placed?​

Stickers must be visible on both sides and at the back of the vehicle „in all circumstances”, explains the French regulation. This means that the signs must be placed between 0.90m and 1.50m above the ground – except for special cases.

Stickers must be placed in such a way that they don’t cover the vehicle’s regulatory plates and inscriptions, any of the lights or signals, and don’t hinder the driver’s field of view.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I will check but this was only supposed to apply to French Goods Vehicles when I saw this in December

Hmmmm
AWKWARD the wording has been changed it does appear they expect all vehicles over 3.5T to carry French worded stickers one either side

which I wonder where the heck on a motorhome with cycles on a rear carrier can put them so they are visible as per regulations -I know I can't on mine - though I don't now I have 2 rear cameras have a blind spot that I am aware of - - but all it will take is one bolshie Gendarme to decide that I DO have a blind spot to get a ticket

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We will not transit through France until late March, but it would be handy to know if we need these stickers so we can get them ordered.

We are over.3.5t and tow a car on a trailer. Every few days we seem to get slightly different info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We will not transit through France until late March, but it would be handy to know if we need these stickers so we can get them ordered.

We are over.3.5t and tow a car on a trailer. Every few days we seem to get slightly different info.

I have contacted the C&CC legal but it's weekend so have to wait until they read the info

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I note it was published by the Ministry of Ecological Transition. A bit strange if it is about road safety and I wonder how much expertise they have relating to motor vehicles.

I also note that is says the stickers are to be '...informing other road-users about their vehicle's bling spots'. Does that mean that they have to be tailored to each vehicle according to its mirrors and angles of view? Surely not.

It also refers to foreign 'lorries' but since motorhomes are category 'M (Special purpose)' which is a passenger carrying category, it would seem that they are not 'lorries' which presumably is colloquial for category 'N' i.e. goods carrying vehicles. Does that Ministry know that there a private passenger carrying vehicles over 3.5t and which are not 'passenger transport' vehicles like buses and coaches, which they refer to?

There is no mention of the format the stickers must adhere to which on the last information I read about them had not been approved.

All as clear as ......

Geoff

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I will check but this was only supposed to apply to French Goods Vehicles when I saw this in December

Hmmmm
AWKWARD the wording has been changed it does appear they expect all vehicles over 3.5T to carry French worded stickers one either side

which I wonder where the heck on a motorhome with cycles on a rear carrier can put them so they are visible as per regulations -I know I can't on mine - though I don't now I have 2 rear cameras have a blind spot that I am aware of - - but all it will take is one bolshie Gendarme to decide that I DO have a blind spot to get a ticket
I think it is referring to side blind spots

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I'm sure I've read somewhere this doesn't apply to UK registered vehicles. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

I wouldn't worry to much. By March they'll probably require the driver to carry a stool sample on a lollypop stick.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Without wanting to go into the different ways of giving the weight of a vehicle, does anyone know if this is the vehicle's registered weight, or what it weighs at the time ie loaded with all our usual junk? My 'van's registered weight is 3.5 tonnes, so am I just under the radar?!

Mar 21, 2020
Frome, Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto 69GL (LHD)
Exp
Since 2005
I will try and buy/make a magnetic backed sign and only display them while driving through France. As soon as I leave their country (and I only usually transit through) I will remove them immediately. They only cost £2.45 each on eBay for the sticker and I am sure the magnetic backing will only cost a little extra. The minor cost and irritation is better than a large fine! If I find what I am looking for I will share on this forum. Keep safe everyone - the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I will try and buy/make a magnetic backed sign and only display them while driving through France. As soon as I leave their country (and I only usually transit through) I will remove them immediately. They only cost £2.45 each on eBay for the sticker and I am sure the magnetic backing will only cost a little extra. The minor cost and irritation is better than a large fine! If I find what I am looking for I will share on this forum. Keep safe everyone - the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!
Is your motorhome made of steel then?

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Just wait for the official french website to spring up offering stickers at 10 euros a pop, just like crit-air 😉

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I really don't understand peoples' objection to putting a couple of stickers on their van. :unsure:
It's just a vehicle.................:rolleyes:
I remember the days when owners put GB stickers on their cars as they were the status symbol of an adventurer.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I dont care what is stuck to the back of the van, but I like the idea of magnetic ones for the front doors.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
How long have traffic lights been around? How many cyclists stop at them?
Those who do stop are the ones who are not daft enough to take on a truck or coach.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If one person is saved injury it must be a good idea, like looking in all rear and down view mirrors when moving off particularly at traffic lights etc.
I cannot rely on others common sense, merely try to mitigate any adverse effect of others inattention

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I read that something got lost in translation and did not apply to motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back