Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
After reading the following
Any one got any idea how many full timers there are on the forum?
I'll start me 1

Swampie

Free Member
Dec 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
No 3

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Me too?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Probably a LOT more than feel safe admitting it cos of STUPID insurance co's :mad:

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Old thread I know but I still have no idea how many long term campers there are. This comes to mind when I see folk getting concerned at the Shengen 90/180 day rulings. I do not believe a great number really leave everything and go abroad for this length of time. Perhaps in your early twenties when you have few ties other than the new and exiting partner, sitting under a palm trees with the promise of warm evenings cuddling close seems a great idea. Later in life by the time you can afford a suitable van you have probably collected many ties, children, property, close friends. Hopefully that partner is still exiting but is the long term travel worth the loss of the other things. I suppose a one off six month tour would work but that is not really Full Time Travel.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
2 of us still travelling 👍 and there’s plenty of Brit reg plates about.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
We have met a few dozen on the roads most are keeping quiet so that they are not chastised by others for travelling.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
There are a growing number of MH’s / vans around our home full timing, I guess it’s a sign of the times, but I also guess they have less access to the web.

One thing I don’t understand, on the road into and out off a local medium sized town there are full timers parked in lay-bys along with trucks etc.

When Ive toured Ive spent as much time as possible wild camping, but never in a lay-by on a busy road, we have lots of rural places to park up in locally but they don’t use them, why?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There are a growing number of MH’s / vans around our home full timing, I guess it’s a sign of the times, but I also guess they have less access to the web.

One thing I don’t understand, on the road into and out off a local medium sized town there are full timers parked in lay-bys along with trucks etc.

When Ive toured Ive spent as much time as possible wild camping, but never in a lay-by on a busy road, we have lots of rural places to park up in locally but they don’t use them, why?
Perhaps they need to be close to their work ?

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes I am one

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We are sort of, only stay on sites in UK - full time for 14 months around Europe but currently hunkered down on a UK site unable to move very far due to Covid restrictions

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

Funny you should say that, have a main road go through the village I live in and there is a long lay-bye twice last year a brand new Concorde Charisma with a toad on the back parked up for a week at a time!!
There are a fair few little lanes within a mile that they could have parked with a harbour view and no traffic noise.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
So it seems there are or were different kinds of full timers. I suppose we start with the Gypsies, now Travellers, and move on to rich folk using horse drawn caravans in a back to nature life. Then the old hippies in their converted trucks, busses and VW vans. These became the protest community with the dog on a string. Now we have people who are forced to travel to find work and do not like living in digs. Not sure where the richer crowd with £50,000 vans fit in, trying to recreate an earlier life with their young partner following the sun and surf? Sadly modern life seems to have made a situation where van living becomes the only economical solution to high housing costs. There is the artist community following their dream, in a flat in St Ives, on a canal barge or a motorhome.
I find this whole full time thing interesting, I know it would not suit me as I have wider interests than the van life and like to see my family and friends but it truly does suit some, and good luck to them.

Jonny.Ally

Free Member
Jul 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
We are full timers but we've been parked up on my parents drive way since June!

Devastated about the 90/180 days. Anyone got any ideas?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We are full timers but we've been parked up on my parents drive way since June!

Devastated about the 90/180 days. Anyone got any ideas?
Nice first post (y)
Welcome.

We have been stuck on an industrial estate since March (not complaining, still better than going back to a house for us).

As far as the 90/180 rule, loads could happen/change yet. If nothing changes then maybe drop into a country outside the Schengen for a while?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Nice first post (y)
Welcome.

We have been stuck on an industrial estate since March (not complaining, still better than going back to a house for us).

As far as the 90/180 rule, loads could happen/change yet. If nothing changes then maybe drop into a country outside the Schengen for a while?
What is it about living in a house you dislike? :xsmile:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
What is it about living in a house you dislike? :xsmile:
Neighbours ::bigsmile:

Not just neighbours, I've always liked moving around and been an outdoors person. Luckily Claira is the same.

We have lived in our van for nearly 3 years, all of that time with something awful happening, so I think we've seen about the worst of Vanlife to date. Despite this, we both hate the idea of going back to bricks. This lifestyle just suits us.

The futures bright (y)

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Almost another 2. We bought the motorhome, put the house on the market and then our a***hole neighbours started a dispute. 1 year later we are waiting for a court date 😤. So we sit and wait. We have no ties, and are desperate to get away and travel, although the 90/180 is causing concern. I’ve just been refused a Lithuanian passport as my great grandparents left before 1918!! I’m clutching any any and all straws at the moment 😆

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back