Schengens loss will be others gain. (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Screenshot_20210101-153850_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not saying that what used to be the old Commy Block will suit everyone. With motorhoming there is no one size fits all. I remember several years ago putting a post on FUN about Shell Island being a good place to stay in the summer. A few said "Oh I went as a kid and loved it" a few more said "Oh I went as a kid and it rained and the tent blew away and I hated it." Its now a favourite campsite for many funsters in the summer.
Around the same time I posted that for many years I had overwintered in Benidorm, some said ""Shock horror, its a concrete jungle", but now many funsters return every winter.
the 90 day thing is a pain in the ass for many, me included, but its not the end of the world. Just think outside the box a bit, its a small price to pay for getting out of that Myre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
You stay home then :cool:
Rather silly thing to stay, just 'cos I enjoy the drive?

Ten hours driving might be something I might do for a large salary, but not for a 'holiday'.

We had intended to 'do' Croatia in 2020, allowing about ten days or more to meander down there.

Forgot smart reply imogi...:gum:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
? I was talking about Cyprus
You woud be fine in Kuzey Kıbrıs TĆ¼rk Cumhuriyeti. The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus so no EU or Schengen limitations. You always had to fly into Istanbul first to get there. I believe you can now cross the Green Line Buffer Zone from the Greek Side in a vehicle. Thus if the new RORO service from Athens (Piraeus) to Limmasol (Cyprus) gets off the ground this coming May, you could take the moho to Northern Cyprus. However, I think you would still need a Turkish Cyprus Visa.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You woud be fine in Kuzey Kıbrıs TĆ¼rk Cumhuriyeti. The Turkish Republic of Kuzey Kıbrıs is in fact Northern Cyprus so no EU or Schengen limitations. You always had to fly into Istanbul first to get there. I believe you can now cross the Green Line Buffer Zone from the Greek Side in a vehicle. Thus if the new RORO service from Athens (Piraeus) to Limmasol (Cyprus) gets off the ground this coming May, you could take the moho to Northern Cyprusl. However, I think you would still need a Turkish Cyprus Visa.

Do they "do" San Miguel or Cobra ???

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
The big panic affecting many motorhomers in the UK seems to be the 90 day rule. As I see it there are many countries outside the Schengen worth visiting. Bulgaria Romania and Croatia being just a few. I can think of worse places to be than Romanias Danube Delta. A lovely part of the world and cheap as chips compared with the Schengen zone. A three day drive, so no further than Spain, use 3 of your 90 days up getting there and 3 coming back. Job done.
I used to live in Romania and been there a few times. There are lots of beautiful places throughout the country.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Romania is still classed as a third world country still developing from the dictatorail control of Nicolae Ceaușescu.
Lots of corruption goes on. I did a lot of work with Transelectrica the state owned Electricity Company and it really opened my eyes to the term 'competive tendering'.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No absolutely not. Let's do as the OP suggests and wait till the schengen brigade beg us to come back. They need us a lot more than we need them

Thatā€™s the biggest load of tripe ever and typical English nationalist jingoism

The sort of delusional unicorn hunt that has resulted in this shambles.

This is a useful thread, it doesn't need this stuff in it, keep it to yourself.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Thatā€™s the biggest load of tripe ever and typical English nationalist jingoism
I have read in the Spanish press that the Province of Alicante estimate they have lost 1,320 MILLION Euros in 2020 solely due to no British visitors being on holiday. They are going to spend 2 million Euros on an advertising campaign at the end of March to entice back visitors.

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Mmm not sure about Cobra being an Indian beer any more

Brewed in Northampton they sold out years ago

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have read in the Spanish press that the Province of Alicante estimate they have lost 1,320 MILLION Euros in 2020 solely due to no British visitors being on holiday. They are going to spend 2 million Euros on an advertising campaign at the end of March to entice back visitors.
Summer visitors are the ones who inject the most into the economy . Hotels, restaurants, bars and entertainment .

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
They will need to spend a lot more than that.

I own a business in the Valencian region. Actions the Spanish and UK government took during COVID19 Chrisis has and still is driving visitors away.

Iā€™m not going into specifics as I donā€™t want to stir up peopleā€™s divided opinions.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I read the story of it one time, don't think it was ever Indian. a British Indian entrepreneur made it in and distributed it to the UK's curry houses. I think he is a Sir now.
Correct it was made specifically for the UK market and the big bottle was put on each table like water is done in Europe, sold to Molson Coors a number of years ago and brewed in Burton.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Correct it was made specifically for the UK market and the big bottle was put on each table like water is done in Europe, sold to Molson Coors a number of years ago and brewed in Burton.
Brewed in the UK, Belgium and India it seems. The founder is now a Lord.

Screenshot_20210101-160837.png

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I believe Croatia has been approved to join Schengen already but was postponed because of Covid, so likely be in before the end of 21! Shame that was our plan for 21 too.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Sorry but I would have to disagree.
What is wrong with being proud of our country, and wishing nothing more than the best for our nation?
Only my opinion however, thanks. šŸ¤—

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Chris and others. Cyprus is outside schengen but apply those rules so its 90 days.
They treat north cyprus as part of Cyprus (republic of) so any time after arrival in limassol where the new ferry is likely to operate from counts against your 90 days. It is illegal to depart the island from the north after arriving in the south. UK insurance green card is not accepted in the north.
Thousands of expat longterm residents (many homeowners) at the last count had not applied for residence Visa so who knows what happens to them.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Romania is still classed as a third world country still developing from the dictatorail control of Nicolae Ceaușescu.
Lots of corruption goes on. I did a lot of work with Transelectrica the state owned Electricity Company and it really opened my eyes to the term 'competive tendering'.
I know what you mean as there was many a time we had to grease a palm with a carton of Marlboro or a jar of Nescafe! There was one mayor who asked for a years subscription to Yachting Monthly in order to help us!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If regional airports start doing more winter flights to places like Tunisia we will know where the money is going. If itā€™s cheaper people would go, money is the deciding factor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back