Schengens loss will be others gain. (1 Viewer)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The big panic affecting many motorhomers in the UK seems to be the 90 day rule. As I see it there are many countries outside the Schengen worth visiting. Bulgaria Romania and Croatia being just a few. I can think of worse places to be than Romanias Danube Delta. A lovely part of the world and cheap as chips compared with the Schengen zone. A three day drive, so no further than Spain, use 3 of your 90 days up getting there and 3 coming back. Job done.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Whose panicing? We very rarely do more than 60 days, 45 days are just right and avoids paying extra on my health insurance.
ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I remember not long after the fall of communism travelling across the top part of Poland. Campsites were completely full of Germans taking advantage of the cheap cost of living. I can see the Black Sea resorts having a huge influx of Brits come the summer. Kamenitza beer at 70p a pint and change out of a fiver for a 3 course meal. Bring it on baby.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
No absolutely not. Let's do as the OP suggests and wait till the schengen brigade beg us to come back. They need us a lot more than we need them
Well.....

the UK is the country of origin of a majority of tourists, accounting for 21% of all arrivals and 19% of tourist spending in 2019. It also noted that British nationals are the main foreign buyers of homes in Spain, representing 14% of all purchases by non-residents last year.

Source El Pais (employer association ceoe)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Or pay for a tourist visa for your preferred Schengen country
No such thing but they might make them available for UK tourists in the future. It is something they have control of but I'm not holding my breath. The link you posted above isn't relevant to us in the UK. We can currently visit for up to 90 days - and no longer - people in many other countries need to apply just to come for a weekend. It will change for us in 2022 with ETIAS but that won't be an issue. The visa lasts for three years and costs under a tenner

Technically, long stay visas do exist but you need a reason for getting one and even the EU's own website says they are hard to get and I think they need to know where you are going to be staying.

Interesting times and I'm sure some Funsters will give the system a trial. :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Well.....

the UK is the country of origin of a majority of tourists, accounting for 21% of all arrivals and 19% of tourist spending in 2019. It also noted that British nationals are the main foreign buyers of homes in Spain, representing 14% of all purchases by non-residents last year.

Source El Pais (employer association ceoe)
Since when was 21% “a majority”. Apologies for being pedantic.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The big panic affecting many motorhomers in the UK seems to be the 90 day rule. As I see it there are many countries outside the Schengen worth visiting. Bulgaria Romania and Croatia being just a few. I can think of worse places to be than Romanias Danube Delta. A lovely part of the world and cheap as chips compared with the Schengen zone. A three day drive, so no further than Spain, use 3 of your 90 days up getting there and 3 coming back. Job done.
Where do you stay in Romania ?

looking on Google maps it’s a 2700km drive

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
No absolutely not. Let's do as the OP suggests and wait till the schengen brigade beg us to come back. They need us a lot more than we need them
I think I read a visa was only £6 for 12 months. I wait To be corrected!😂

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Where do you stay in Romania ?
The Danube delta is stunning. Unfortunately Rumania does not have so many resorts as Bulgaria close to the Black Sea and I have to admit campsites are not what you are used to in southern Europe. It does get unbearably hot in the height of summer though.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Since when was 21% “a majority”. Apologies for being pedantic.
No apology required - I agree; El Pais’ view / translation (perhaps the remaining 79% was made up of multiple countries, each less than 21%).

Unfortunately the full list of countries and their percentages were not published.

But in the spirit of the post - to highlight how much the UK is needed by some countries - I thought it may be of interest...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The Danube delta is stunning. Unfortunately Rumania does not have so many resorts as Bulgaria close to the Black Sea and I have to admit campsites are not what you are used to in southern Europe. It does get unbearably hot in the height of summer though.
Do you really drive all that way in just 3 days ?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

How's the winter sun in those places?

Winter seems to be the biggest concern for most tourists.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Don’t think anyone needs to beg, the Chinese have been flocking to Europe in larger and larger groups.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How's the winter sun in those places?

Winter seems to be the biggest concern for most tourists.
No such thing as winter sun. Its unbearably hot in summer and snow in winter. April through till September, then Spain for 90 days.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
No such thing as winter sun. Its unbearably hot in summer and snow in winter. April through till September, then Spain for 90 days.

So EU (Schengen) sunny countries are still the go to places for winter and where some people are wanting more than 90 days.

We skied in Bulgaria years ago over new year and no way could you motorhome there. Anyone heading there with windscreen wipers could do a good deal with the locals 😉

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So EU (Schengen) sunny countries are still the go to places for winter and where some people are wanting more than 90 days.

We skied in Bulgaria years ago over new year and no way could you motorhome there. Anyone heading there with windscreen wipers could do a good deal with the locals 😉
You dont need to go to Bulgaria to Ski, you can ski in Spain or believe it or not Australia.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back