Multimeter (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Can anyone suggest a good quality multimeter to add to my tool kit.
Many thanks

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Take your pick. I chose a Ā£10 one from Screwfix after recommendations from funsters. Works for my very limited knowledge. Some of the meters are shockingly priced sorry about the punšŸ˜‚

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
For day to day basic stuff a cheap is fine. I had 2 at work one cost hundreds and the other cost one penny on Ebay, the cheap one got a lot more use

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What budget?
What do you intend to do with it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Something like this for under a tenner will be adequate for basic checks (and more sophisticated stuff if you have the experience).
DIGIFLEX Volt Testing Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter AC DC Meter OHM for DIY: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
I find it amusing that a lot of multimeters have a test facility for measuring the hFE of transistors. How many people would know what a hFE measurement represents and of those that do know, how many would still want to test a transistor.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I find it amusing that a lot of multimeters have a test facility for measuring the hFE of transistors. How many people would know what a hFE measurement represents and of those that do know, how many would still want to test a transistor.
Many manufacturers buy in a (often the same) proprietary microchip (and housing, display, dial, knob, leads) that provides all those functions, whether needed or not.

What budget?
What do you intend to do with it?
Pretty basic stuff I guess if it's his/her first meter.

Last edited:

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I had an Avo 8 years ago. It was an old school massive thing. I went to Maplin (remember them?) and bought a cheap Chinese jobby and it does the job for home electrics and the mh.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I used my multimeter a few days ago and looked at that facility on it, made me smilešŸ˜.
To PNP or NPN that is the q
uestion...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I do. :xlaugh:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I replaced a basic voltmeter with one of these as I wanted to measure amps without disconnecting cables, very happy with it but be careful to get one that is AC/DC as a lot are AC only.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fluke is all I use, Iā€™ve got a couple of them.
The one in the van I have had since 1987 and itā€™s never missed a beat, itā€™s calibrated every year and never failed.
But the cost of calibration is 10 times the cost of a basic multimeter and the accuracy of the cheap ones are so good these days.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Fluke

I am planning to acquire a MM in anticipation of the delivery of our new MH. As I know virtually zero about this kind of stuff I visited the Fluke website to find quite a lot of options.

Would the following (https://www.fluke.com/en-gb/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-114) be ok for Motorhomes requirements? Apparently it doesn't measure current. Do I need that facility?

Deleted User
I am planning to acquire a MM in anticipation of the delivery of our new MH. As I know virtually zero about this kind of stuff I visited the Fluke website to find quite a lot of options.

Would the following (https://www.fluke.com/en-gb/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-114) be ok for Motorhomes requirements? Apparently it doesn't measure current. Do I need that facility?
I would suggest a cheaper model ( as suggested in earlier post) costing approx Ā£10 would be suitable.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I replaced a basic voltmeter with one of these as I wanted to measure amps without disconnecting cables, very happy with it but be careful to get one that is AC/DC as a lot are AC only.

And you've got to watch out for the self-identifying ones. Could be AC passing as DC or vice versa. šŸ˜ƒ

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Something like this for under a tenner will be adequate for basic checks (and more sophisticated stuff if you have the experience).
DIGIFLEX Volt Testing Digital Multimeter Voltmeter Ammeter AC DC Meter OHM for DIY: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Something like the above or the Screwfix one, are great for most of us DIYers (I even use the diode tester)

So cheap, I have one for my workshop & one in the moho

I think one of them I got for less than seven quid delivered (from a uk supplier - but made in China)

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
But the cost of calibration is 10 times the cost of a basic multimeter and the accuracy of the cheap ones are so good these days.
Something like the above or the Screwfix one, are great for most of us DIYers (I even use the diode tester)
Exactly.
The accuracy on my ten quid ones is very good and any slight error reading is close enough for all m/h needs.
My needs are mostly as a circuit continuity tester (wiring, fuses, bulbs) or to check whether my original 12 volts have dropped somewhere along the line to 11, or whether my batteries are charging from the alternator or other charging device.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

I have the UT210E, it doesn't have the temperature or frequency measurement and only 100 amp but a tenner cheaper.
If I had known about the 204 I would have probably gone for that just for the temperature measurement.

IMO the DC clamp meter is an essential bit of kit when fault finding on a Motorhome.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010

Yup, I use flukes every day at work and have one for home use too.
But, I highly recommend the Uni-t clamp meter for motor home use, the ability to check DC current easily makes it some much user friendly

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan

Another vote for the Uni-t meter. Very easy to check current, using the clamp feature.
Amazon product ASIN B07CNGJXFJ

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have used Fluke for over 30 years but my employer now provide Sealey MM20 units as standard issue for field engineers. Not near the Fluke for build quality but plenty accurate enough for 12v vehicle systems
Having tried one I think they are amazing value for about Ā£16 and if lost or damaged are not causing drama with replacement cost.

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
Last time I bought a multimeter I was amazed to find it didn't have a 'beep' function for continuity.

I find the beep really helpful, so went in search if a model that had it.

Turns out many models don't beep, but I'd strongly recommend making sure whatever you buy has it, especially for fault finding on your own when the other half is reluctant to come out in the cold :)

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
Also, my latest model has a strong magnet on the strap. Really useful for:

1) hanging from whatever metal object your working on so your hands can be freed for holding the probes.

2) Latching onto all the small parts of your socket set and emptying boxes of screws all over the floor.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
urns out many models don't beep,
Are you sure about that.. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

I made a fool of myself by taking my meter back and demanding a replacement because the buzzer on the continuity didn't work..
I felt rather foolish when it was pointed out to me there was nothing wrong with it..even then I didnt believe the bloke.. and it wasn't until a random customer coming into the shop convinced me it must be my hearing..:eek:..
Needless to say I left rather embarrassed..but still have that meter..
The old ones used to have a bell..which I can still hear..its just the electronic buzzer frequency I'm totally deaf to:rolleyes:
Andy..

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Unless your an electrical expert don't waste money buying an all singing and dancing unit. I just replaced mine with a multimeter from I think it was Aldi but it may have been Lidl cost something like Ā£12.99. Does everything you are ever likely to need and the accuracy is spot on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back