Insurance - BIG, BIG Thanks to ShiftZZ (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used to have the van insured (fully comp) with Saga but moved to NFU last year because they gave a better deal.

Renewal came through a couple of days ago and, whilst we were expecting a bit of a rise, it was a shock to see they wanted £363 - as against £254 last year.

I remembered that Dave had mentioned Frank Pickles so Jill rang them and we're sorted out for £197.

So, Big Big Thanks to Dave :thumb::thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
The biggest problem with Frank Pickles is that it is almost impossible to get rid of the vinegar smell :ROFLMAO::Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
For interest sake - I was told a story a couple of days ago, that I have no reason to disbelieve - about the NFU and a buddy of mine with a coach-drivers licence (D Licence) who owns a 39ft RV weighing in at about 15 tons.

This chap has never had an HGV licence but has owned a succession of 'heavy' RVs with the full knowledge of NFU who have never until now had a problem with giving him insurance. :Eeek:

This year they emailed him to say that unless he had the 'proper' relevant licence for his RV then they could no longer insure him. Problem was/is they couldn't stipulate what the 'proper' licence was/is! :Doh:

After a certain amount of 'argy-bargying' - their initial e-mail notification about not insuring him was withdrawn and he was told that the NFU could continue offering him insurance - now even more in the knowledge that he has a D licence and not a C licence!

The Grey area becomes even more murky! :shout:

Dick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For interest sake - I was told a story a couple of days ago, that I have no reason to disbelieve - about the NFU and a buddy of mine with a coach-drivers licence (D Licence) who owns a 39ft RV weighing in at about 15 tons.

This chap has never had an HGV licence but has owned a succession of 'heavy' RVs with the full knowledge of NFU who have never until now had a problem with giving him insurance. :Eeek:

This year they emailed him to say that unless he had the 'proper' relevant licence for his RV then they could no longer insure him. Problem was/is they couldn't stipulate what the 'proper' licence was/is! :Doh:

After a certain amount of 'argy-bargying' - their initial e-mail notification about not insuring him was withdrawn and he was told that the NFU could continue offering him insurance - now even more in the knowledge that he has a D licence and not a C licence!

The Grey area becomes even more murky! :shout:

Dick
I'd say its become abundantly clearer:thumb:
There isnt a proper licence

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It is renewal time for us with NFU, and they have slapped another £90 on to the policy this year, despite no claims, and the MH being a year older and depreciating. :Doh:

It looks like I've got some phoning around to do on Monday. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
First call should be to the NFU asking why and telling them to review it or loose it - it does work in many cases

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
First call should be to the NFU asking why and telling them to review it or loose it - it does work in many cases

Hi Shane,

I did that last week, and was reminded of the compensation culture that we live in, and that the dramatic increase in personal injury claims were to blame. :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Shane,

I did that last week, and was reminded of the compensation culture that we live in, and that the dramatic increase in personal injury claims were to blame. :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

Similar result when Jill phoned NFU on Wednesday.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Before I collected the 'van I popped into the NFU office round the corner and asked for a quote - they had all sorts of issues trying to classify it and in the end told me about £700 :Eeek:

After picking myself up off the floor, I thanked them and went elsewhere.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Greetings sundance from a very windy wales. I wish i could take the credit for frank pickles but i cant, it wa another funster and if i could get on the web not using tgis i phone i would tell you who it was.

If you feel so inclined you can buy us a beer and call it quits..

Any news frpm france have they deported the other nutter?

Shiftzz

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We tried Frank Pickles, but the policy quoted a very low sum for window replacement, something around £500 (I think) in a contract period, less an excess of £60.

We asked if this could be increased, to £2000.00 via e-mail, still waiting for a reply, so we assume thats a "no"

Just a small point, but could be expensive.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We tried Frank Pickles, but the policy quoted a very low sum for window replacement, something around £500 (I think) in a contract period, less an excess of £60.

We asked if this could be increased, to £2000.00 via e-mail, still waiting for a reply, so we assume thats a "no"

Just a small point, but could be expensive.
Hi Nomadic,

We had a similar issue with Frank Pickles last year, when phoning round for quotes. They assume that every MH is a coachbuilt version, with Fiat/Peugeot/Iveco/Renault cabs and screens. They didn't believe me, when I quoted the price of a replacement Hymer front screen, from Peter Hambilton. :Eeek:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you feel so inclined you can buy us a beer and call it quits..
What a pity I'm an upright person - but I might have a can for you at Thetford :Smile:

Any news frpm france have they deported the other nutter?

Shiftzz
It's all gone quiet. Probably got himself holed up in the back of a long distance lorry to avoid the customs :roflmto:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A full can??

Monsieur le bon bon le dump bruce is still in that french prison/asylum/bread shop/diy tattoo/hairdresser salon. I hear that laneside has asked for refugee status and a photograph of mrs sarkosi playing a bagpipe.

All well here in sunny wales, got sunburnt.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Nomadic,

We had a similar issue with Frank Pickles last year, when phoning round for quotes. They assume that every MH is a coachbuilt version, with Fiat/Peugeot/Iveco/Renault cabs and screens. They didn't believe me, when I quoted the price of a replacement Hymer front screen, from Peter Hambilton. :Eeek:

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock
A coincidence but we looked at a second hand Hymer today and I commented on the windscreen, deeply curved either end and holes in the bottom for three wipers to protrude, I said to the wife "that would cost a fortune to replace" just how much would a screen like that cost?
Tony

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A full can??
Whatever gave you that idea? I said a can, never said owt about contents.

Monsieur le bon bon le dump bruce is still in that french prison/asylum/bread shop/diy tattoo/hairdresser salon. I hear that laneside has asked for refugee status and a photograph of mrs sarkosi playing a bagpipe.
I knew that photo of the famous Knobbly Knees wouldn't keep him happy for long.

All well here in sunny wales, got sunburnt.
Ah, so that's the free prescription you get there.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock
A coincidence but we looked at a second hand Hymer today and I commented on the windscreen, deeply curved either end and holes in the bottom for three wipers to protrude, I said to the wife "that would cost a fortune to replace" just how much would a screen like that cost?
Tony
Hi Tony,

Don't you mean "Panoramic" ?:roflmto:

Apparently, about £2,500 - £3000 for a replacement front screen. I think that price may have included fitting costs too, which you wouldn't normally have to pay via your insurance windscreen policy.

Cheers,

Jock.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think that price may have included fitting costs too, which you wouldn't normally have to pay via your insurance windscreen policy.

A positive snip then? :Doh:

And people wonder why insurance premiums go up when they themselves haven't had a claim ..........

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think it was Rainbow chasers who mentioned Frank Pickles last year.
I got UK / European breakdown insurance from the last year at the best rate I could find.
Easy to deal with, too.
Barry, I think the guy on the phone was.

Shifty:
Print off Graham's mail agreeing to get you a beer.
He will renege, as he's got a degree in tight as well as daft. Print the evidence.
Make sure it's a large can also, not one of those Girlsberg small cans!

Mornin Graham.

Munchie has dropped off the radar. Maybe been arrested for wearing an offensive hat?

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Shifty:
Print off Graham's mail agreeing to get you a beer.
He will renege, as he's got a degree in tight as well as daft. Print the evidence.
Make sure it's a large can also, not one of those Girlsberg small cans!

Don't you go supporting this unsubstantiated rumour or I might tell them the truth about you :roflmto:

May I remind you the actual statement made was "I might have a can for you at Thetford", nary a mention of the word "beer".

Besides, I can always plead gormless as well as daft :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Munchie has dropped off the radar. Maybe been arrested for wearing an offensive hat?

According to the stats he's been on the forum today. So, I reckon I'm right - holed up in the back of a long distance lorry to avoid the customs with receive-only facilities. Either that or the hat's dropped over his eyes and he can't see to type :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Tony,

Don't you mean "Panoramic" ?:roflmto:

Apparently, about £2,500 - £3000 for a replacement front screen. I think that price may have included fitting costs too, which you wouldn't normally have to pay via your insurance windscreen policy.

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock
I didn't know what to call it but at least you recognized my description.
£3000 WOW.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't you go supporting this unsubstantiated rumour or I might tell them the truth about you :roflmto:

:

Go on Sundance, go for it... Was he caught in Tesco's in his Everton Shirt singing I'm forever blowing bubbles? Or He is Wildmans love child...

Baited breath here.,.......

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Go on Sundance, go for it... Was he caught in Tesco's in his Everton Shirt singing I'm forever blowing bubbles? Or He is Wildmans love child...

Baited breath here.,.......

Wildman's love child? He isn't your long lost sister is he?

I heard a rumour that KK is staying in France because he saw on the news that there may be a vacancy at the top of the IMF. Poor lad thinks it stands for International Munchie Foundation :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back