New Fridge needed (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
After waiting for 2 weeks for a new thermocouple for the fridge I have just found that it was not the coupling but now looks like its the gas valve is at fault.

As the Dometic RM6270 is now out of production the gas valve seems to be as rare as hens teeth and the only one I can find is £176.00. So I have decided to replace the fridge and the problem I now have it which model will fit into the same hole and and the same gas and exhaust connections.

I have sent a email of to Dometic for some info but if anyone has done this job before I would be glad to receive any info you have.

Doug...

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
After waiting for 2 weeks for a new thermocouple for the fridge I have just found that it was not the coupling but now looks like its the gas valve is at fault.

As the Dometic RM6270 is now out of production the gas valve seems to be as rare as hens teeth and the only one I can find is £176.00. So I have decided to replace the fridge and the problem I now have it which model will fit into the same hole and and the same gas and exhaust connections.

I have sent a email of to Dometic for some info but if anyone has done this job before I would be glad to receive any info you have.

Doug...

you could try talking to Duncan www.starspangledspanner>co.uk

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Doug, before you go to the expense of replacing the firdge check the energy selector switch, wiggle it about in the gas position. I have found in the past that the energy selector switch can become faulty in the gas position, presumably the contacts inside become tarnished/corroded. The way the system works is this: Thermocouple generates a tiny electrical current when heated by the flame, this electrical current is passed to the gas valve solenoid to hold it open but it goes via the energy selector switch first. If you can disconnect the fridge and draw it forward till you can see the energy selector switch try squirting some contact cleaner into it and then flicking it through all if its positions several times. This may or may not solve the issue but its gotta be worth a try before you chuck an otherwise working fridge away and fork out several hundred pounds for a new one.

D.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug, before you go to the expense of replacing the firdge check the energy selector switch, wiggle it about in the gas position. I have found in the past that the energy selector switch can become faulty in the gas position, presumably the contacts inside become tarnished/corroded. The way the system works is this: Thermocouple generates a tiny electrical current when heated by the flame, this electrical current is passed to the gas valve solenoid to hold it open but it goes via the energy selector switch first. If you can disconnect the fridge and draw it forward till you can see the energy selector switch try squirting some contact cleaner into it and then flicking it through all if its positions several times. This may or may not solve the issue but its gotta be worth a try before you chuck an otherwise working fridge away and fork out several hundred pounds for a new one.

D.

Many thanks for the info, my mind has been drifting into the possibility of the problem being electrical rather than gas; I have the fridge out of its hole and found the 12v multi plug to be burnt out on one leg due to a slow water drip from the water tap swivel joint. The multi plug has now been replaced but the problem persists.

I have managed to find a gas system diagram but not an electrical one and I'm puzzled as to the purpose of the 2 electrical connections on the gas valve solenoid position, if the switch you spoke of is across these cables then a bridge wire should prove if it is the switch at fault. What do you think.

I have just discovered the price of a replacement fridge, £850.00 and that is way out of my capability to pay so if I can't do a repair then I am lost.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Doug,not sure which model fridge you have but http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ sell then fairly cheap and if you go there they may have one cheaper than the web price :winky:
terry
the RM6270 has been replaced by RM7270 £600 or less
they also sell spares and may even have one in bits to rob

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Good news, Dave was spot on, it was the selection switch that was faulty, but in this case the fault was built in at the factory, IE. rubbish engineering.

The switches are a set of point contacts which are opened and closed by a rotation plastic spindle with cams on it.

The cam for the gas thermo cut out (it opens the thermocouple circuit so that the gas valve shuts of the gas) did not have sufficient clearance from the moving arm on the switch so that as the point wore down over 9 years of use the arm was just resting on the leading edge of the cam so that it producing a intermittent open and closing of the switch.

I took a small file to the cam to give some clearance and now the system is working properly again, all I have to do now is get the fridge back into one piece and refit it into its hole.

Great, I may make it to Carmarthen after all.

P.S. any one want to by used but nealy brand new thermocouple?

Doug...

Attachments

• 100_2826.jpg
    100_2826.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_2827.jpg
    100_2827.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_2829.jpg
    100_2829.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 54

Join us or log in to post a reply.