And so to Malta.......... (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I love Malta having had several fly 'n flop holidays at Golden Sands.
Most of the place names are Arabic so not at all pronouncable or memorable, I think thats why I liked G S 😃
One of our receptionists was Maltese and she would have taken great exception to Malti being called Arabic. She would have lectured you at great length about it being a Latinised version of Arabic. The alphabet is very similar to a Latin one in fact. She was about 5ft tall and seemed to grow about a foot when arguing!

As you can tell, I have not forgotten my lecture.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Malta’s lovely, I’ve ran the marathon there a few times and always see some MHs parked up near their football stadium

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have friends that offered us the use of property they own on Malta, 😉 and there's us turning down the opportunity thinking it's a bit difficult with a dog. :Eeek: :rofl:

I know gozomike was driving down to Gozo, I remember it was a fair treck, don't know if he still does it. 😁 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As an aside, I believe during the war over a two month period the Germans dropped more tonage of explosives on Malta, in an attempt to capture it, than they dropped on London in the whole blitz. :gum:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
As an aside, I believe during the war over a two month period the Germans dropped more tonage of explosives on Malta, in an attempt to capture it, than they dropped on London in the whole blitz. :gum:
Indeed - and exactly why the whole island was awarded the George Cross.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh - and instant confusion for a day or two, having been issued by the car hire place with a roadmap. All 3 navigators - the female 2 of which had successfully navigated from Brum to Retamar nr Almeria and back previously - got very confused until all 4 of us realised it was NOT a roadmap as we knew them. It was instead, the equivalent of an A-Z road map of Malta!

Went to find somewhere one day, the Clay Pigeon shooting club as it happens, and had located it approximately down this dotted line (= track) on the A-Z, so went there, saw one bloke but no sign of the Club. Chap said Ah, they'd moved. It was hard work, cos we then had to ask him if he knew where to? A very long way away he said, he thought it was near (somewhere with a name I can't recall now) and there was a sign on the main road, but he'd never been there himself. Well anyway, we went with very little hope of finding it - less than 2 miles and with a ruddy great signwritten sign by the pull-in from the main road!

They were lovely too, although most only spoke Maltese and Italian.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was there abut ten years ago on holiday and was there as a nipper when my dad was in the RN
I learnt to swim their when twanging school used to go with a load of the local kids
bill

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Thank you for a very comprehensive report.We have been to Malta quite a few times on holiday love Paradise Bay down by the Gozo ferry terminal the Maltese foods lovely. Can I ask about ferry routes available to Malta from Sicily as well as mainland Italy how many operators and how do prices vary.

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Thank you for a very comprehensive report.We have been to Malta quite a few times on holiday love Paradise Bay down by the Gozo ferry terminal the Maltese foods lovely. Can I ask about ferry routes available to Malta from Sicily as well as mainland Italy how many operators and how do prices vary.
You're welcome. Sorry I don't really know the specifics of the ferries, except that Grimaldi Lines and Virtu Ferries both do Malta runs. If you Google them you will get specifics. Also, a good ferry link for all ferries is here........

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Just re read your post, you are in fact parked up just around the corner from our place, Its the next road after Angelo s Bar. If you want any heads up on places and info like that PM me and I will give you my thoughts
Thanks for that, PJG. Will contact you if we have questions. Also, we'll go and have a snoop around by your place when we go for bike ride later. Cheers!

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for that, PJG. Will contact you if we have questions. Also, we'll go and have a snoop around by your place when we go for bike ride later. Cheers!
Are you still in Malta. Had reports through family of a UK registered MH parked up in Qawra near the swimming pool

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Malta beach 👍
We flew and had a hire car a couple of years ago.
I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking the van but it's OK to visit. Bit expensive mind🤔

20190305_120112.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Went years ago did a tour of Gozo and every time we stopped the coach driver was in a bar having a drink (I say coach lightly more like the old charabang) coming back to the ferry is up a long hill so at 20mph decided to overtale the bus in front everything coming the other way had to pull onto people’s driveway we moved up the back of the coach and hung on

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Malta beach 👍
We flew and had a hire car a couple of years ago.
I wouldn't go to the trouble of taking the van but it's OK to visit. Bit expensive mind🤔

View attachment 462054
From my prior experience of Malta there are not that many beaches you can pull up to in a car ,let alone a motorhome.. (y)

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Are you still in Malta. Had reports through family of a UK registered MH parked up in Qawra near the swimming pool
No, PJG, no longer in Malta. Sadly, we are back home in Australia, as our 24 year old son was murdered in Perth two weeks ago, so we've come home to identify him and arrange his funeral. We left our motorhome on a Maltese friend's farm and will return for it some time later in the year. The Maltese and the people at the consulate were wonderful to us. So kind.

We had just about completed the list we were compiling of places for people to park with a map showing the location of each one by number, but we're not quite there yet. I'll post it on the site in the near future. Mick.

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Thanks.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, so sorry to hear of your loss, hang in there guys, my thoughts are with you...😥

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
Utterly awful news. Condolences to you and your family.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
So very sorry to read your news, there's not really any words. Condolences to you both.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Mick

We do not know each other but nonetheless I feel for you for having lost a son that way. I am so sorry and send my sympathies, even as a stranger.

The journey home must have been torture for you both.

None of us can probably help much with your grief but if any of us can help in any practical way, e.g. with getting MH to where you want it, please let us know. I would be willing to fly out at my own expense to ferry it back to mainland Europe. But maybe when the dust settles you might want to try to continue as planned.

Do not even try to respond now. Just store this for future reference.

Geoff

P.S. I am going to send you my contact details by PM (conversation on here)

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Thank you, everyone, for your lovely thoughts. Mick and Lisa xx

OP
OP
Mick Kennedy
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
Hi Folks,

Attached is the list of the wild-camping parking spots in Malta that I mentioned earlier I was making. Also a numbered map relating to the spots. Sorry for the delay.

Mick.

Attachments

• Malta info & parking spots.pdf
    700.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Malta map, numbered.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Apr 28, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Envy 185
Exp
since 2002
Hi Mick did you get around to making the list of suitable parking/overnighting places and their co- ordinates if so any chance on a link.
Thanks in advance
Timmy P

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back