Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I've just been out cleaning the van after 2 weeks on the road.

Has anyone some top tips to help remove the splattered flies who choose to throw themselves onto the front of the van, especially on the front of the Luton, whilst I was driving.

They are sticky little bu**ers to get off tonight.....:cry:

Thanks.

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
They tend to weld themselves on!

Hi

This last trip to France we collected a great many squished beasts.

I have tried various bug removers before from tesco (there are other supermarkets) Auto Glym and Turtle.

But to tell the truth hot soapy car wash water and a good brush is the best.

Enjoy the scrub ...... :Blush:

Terry

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

This last trip to France we collected a great many squished beasts.

I have tried various bug removers before from tesco (there are other supermarkets) Auto Glym and Turtle.

But to tell the truth hot soapy car wash water and a good brush is the best.

Enjoy the scrub ...... :Blush:

Terry

That's what I have been doing for the last hour and a half...:cry:

I feel like a right dirty old srubber now.......:Blush::Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WD 40 !! About the ONLY thing I would use the stuff for....

A trick bikers use is to wet newspaper.
Soak a news paper in water
Place wet newspaper on area that wants cleaning have a cuppa and then go back a while later peel off the paper and wipe of the bugs :thumb:

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A trick bikers use is to wet newspaper.
Soak a news paper in water
Place wet newspaper on area that wants cleaning have a cuppa and then go back a while later peel off the paper and wipe of the bugs :thumb:[/QUOTE]

I used to do that on the visor on my bike lid, just leave it to soak in soapy water for 30 mins, the bugs just fell off then.
Bit harder though with the front of the Luton Roof, it just will not fit in my bucket...:Doh:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Easiest method I have found is to take an old bath towel soak in warm water and place over the flies, dampen once again leave for a while, the flies should now come off with no problems.
If you still have problems redo leaving slightly longer

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
scrub pads

I have 3 different scratch pads. I start out with the softest foamy one making sure that I don't do any damage. I go to more coarse pads if I can get away with it. Some paintwork seems to let me take quite a tough approach; other areas need a more gentle strategy.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Jaws is 100% correct, you do have to re-hydrate the roadkill ! Then it wipes off NP and you just wash the surface after. Pete gets 'Blue roll' which is sort of like downmarket kitchen roll and we always used dripping wet, either of them, on the helmets and the leathers.

The main prob though is reaching the luton whilst away in the van - until you get home and can use the steps. The Frenchman parked next to us had his stepladder on his bike-rack (4 bike carrier, only 2 bikes and the ally steps!) and also went on his roof and cleaned the solar panel twice in a week. Changed their shoes for their slippers every time they went in the van - it was like living next door to that woman in Under Milkwood - "and mind the sun wipes its feet before it comes in" ! LOL

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
We collected loads of squishy things over the Easter break.

I had about an inch of Kitchen CIF left in a bottle, we filled it up with water and sprayed the front of the van with it. Left it to soak in for a while then it was rinsed off. Came up clean as a whistle without any effort really. No effort for me at all really as it was Geo that did it.:winky:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
I run my own car valeting business and have tried all sorts of products cheap and expensive, the best product I have found is AutoSmart G101 (available from AutoSmart or usually can be found on Ebay) it is a non caustic cleaner that you can dilute down to various degrees and cleans virtually everything very good on interior plastics the missus loves it on bathroom tiles, mist it over the front of the vehicle bug residue comes right off either when pressure washed or rubbed with sponge etc

Dave

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Wet towel is the bikers preferred method...................:thumb:

Anything else is just laziness, especially anything mildly caustic or abrasive. Use a scouring pad of any description, and while it may look good when you've cleaned it, you're storing up more problems in the future.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A couple of times i have seen French campers arrive on a site in Spain with a zillion zapped bugs on the front, and then remove a large strip of a cling film type stuff from the luton, leaving it looking good as new. Good idea for the long trips

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A couple of times i have seen French campers arrive on a site in Spain with a zillion zapped bugs on the front, and then remove a large strip of a cling film type stuff from the luton, leaving it looking good as new. Good idea for the long trips

Thats a good idea. Might try that this year when i head South:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I run my own car valeting business and have tried all sorts of products cheap and expensive, the best product I have found is AutoSmart G101 (available from AutoSmart or usually can be found on Ebay) it is a non caustic cleaner that you can dilute down to various degrees and cleans virtually everything very good on interior plastics the missus loves it on bathroom tiles, mist it over the front of the vehicle bug residue comes right off either when pressure washed or rubbed with sponge etc

Dave

The man that knows how to do it properly! Well done!

I cringe at hearing about people using all these cif, scratch pads etc whenever flies come up.

G101, spary on and wipe straight off. The chemical eats body fat, so wear gloves:thumb:

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Try AutoGlym Powermax 3.
It is a traffic film remover which works wonders.

I use it if I am giving the motorhome (or car) a real clean.

It should be diluted down and added to a wet vehicle by spraying the solution with a garden type pressure spray.

You must be careful to start at the botom of the vehicle and work upwards as if it should not be allowed to run onto dry paint. If is left on too long it could leave run marks in your paintwork.

I dilute it to a very weak mixture for the GRP sections of the motorhone as I would rather do it twice than have run marks on the nose.

This method works a treat....

Last edited:

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
The best thing I have found to use on the bike and van is Autoglym Active Insect Remover and Bug Remover.
Squirt, soak, lightly brush off, job done. :thumb:

Not sure about newspaper on a visor (?).
I wet a piece of plenty kitchen roll and leave it for 10 minutes, wipe over visor and flies have gone.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Dave

My wife just allowed me to order 5 ltrs of this off Ebay on the strength of it cleaning her bathroom tiles and shower glass. Hope it works, she's always bollocking me for being a sucker for new gadgets and stuff:RollEyes:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cling film

I go with Jim on this one, have done it ourselves with great results, we bought a catering roll of cling film, rolled it on the front of the motorhome before leaving home and voila when we got home just peeled it off along with all the bodies and stains.
No washing, scrubbing, buying expensive chemicals etc etc.

Simples :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
My wife just allowed me to order 5 ltrs of this off Ebay on the strength of it cleaning her bathroom tiles and shower glass. Hope it works, she's always bollocking me for being a sucker for new gadgets and stuff:RollEyes:

Don't forget to dilute G101 when using on motorhome and NEVER let it dry on, as it will take the surface with it.

Works great on ovens! Eats body fats!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Works great on ovens!

Now you tell us! - after we just spent about 24 hours cleaning one!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Don't forget to dilute G101 when using on motorhome and NEVER let it dry on, as it will take the surface with it.

Works great on ovens! Eats body fats!

Thanks for the tips (Do you think it would shift 2 stone of body fat?):Blush:

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Usually find a good car shampoo works but if not try a bit of "Mer" generally works for most things including those awful black water marks.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Simple solution

Flies and bugs......If your reactions are fast enough..........I find you can drive round most of 'em

I'll get my coat

barry

Last edited:

eeglow

Free Member
May 7, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Don't use SIMONIZ bug remover

Whatever else you do, don't use Simoniz bug remover. The green stuff. I followed the instructions and the damned stuff left fluorescent green colour on the white surface. I looked like someone had used a highlighter pen!! I tried everything to get it off. In the end I had to use T-Cut. I complained to Simoniz but they didn't give a toss.

I only use the Halfords white stuff which is great. The other option is to wet the bugs first with water and then use a Bounce tissue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in a different life when i did breakdown recovery we used 'truck wash'
a slightly stronger liquid than used in carwash systems.

spray it on and leave 10 mins then just hose off.

we also used it on our reflective jackets, which got very dirty, but it killed the waterproofing :Doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
They sell stuff TO get it off in Halfords, it works, I used to work there and we used to get customers continually returning to buy it so I know it works, eventually boughtsome myself, spray on wait a few minutes then wipe off .
CAN'T REMEMBER the name of it but the staff should know what you mean.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You Colonial Pommy Imperialist Empire Building Softees! Good Grief! Is this how the Empire,THE BRITISH EMPIRE, was formed? Pussy footing around a few Bugs?
Angle Grinder dear hearts! Take an Angle Grinder to the Johnny Foriegner Bugs, don't you know, none of this shilly shallying, we didn't get where we are today by shilly shallying!
Good Grief You'll be wanting a day off at xmas if this carry on carry's on!

Brigadier Rangitira, Duke of Terras, Baron de Kingsley, and recent participant in the Queen street riots!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back