I've been busy ..... Woodturning (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You may recall I took up woodturning recently .. bought a second hand lathe just before Xmas last year but never got 'into' it until a few weeks ago..

While helping Ian ( Olley) to clean out his workshop I picked up a couple of pieces of 4x2" Mahogany (I think) and have made a few items.. thanks Ian :thumb:

a selection...

Link to Picasa Link Removed

Candle sticks

Link Removed

Floor standing candle stick

Link Removed

Salt and pepper
Link Removed

I also found some scrap Oak being sold as firewood at a local furniture factory ... and made a few bowls

Link Removed

And a few canisters

Link Removed

Link Removed

So, all in all I'm very pleased.. and if anyone is looking to try woodtruning out .. go for it.. it's very rewarding and not an expensive hobby ..... only problem is finding places for all the bowls etc .... :roflmto:

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Great effort Jim now all you want is an outlet, you can make a nice little earner from this, and gives you lots of pleasure.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Nice work, Jim.
It's something I've alwayts "sort of" fancied having a go at.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You may recall I took up woodturning recently .. bought a second hand lathe just before Xmas last year but never got 'into' it until a few weeks ago..

While helping Ian ( Olley) to clean out his workshop I picked up a couple of pieces of 4x2" Mahogany (I think) and have made a few items.. thanks Ian :thumb:

a selection...

Link to Picasa Link Removed

Candle sticks

Link Removed

Floor standing candle stick

Link Removed

Salt and peeper
Link Removed

I also found some scrap Oak being sold as firewood at a local furniture factory ... and made a few bowls

Link Removed

And a few canisters

Link Removed

Link Removed

So, all in all I'm very pleased.. and if anyone is looking to try woodtruning out .. go for it.. it's very rewarding and not an expensive hobby ..... only problem is finding places for all the bowls etc .... :roflmto:

Looks excellent Jim, earn a few pennies from them :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Very nice Jim. I knew a bloke at work a few years ago so who got into wood turning. When he found he had more stuff than places he used to take a stall at a local craft fair.

nokaii

Free Member
Oct 19, 2010
Nr Manchester
Funster No
Exp
That's beautiful work Jim

I love the look and feel of wood ornaments etc :Smile:

Karen

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Jim they are really lovely well done :thumb: next thing take a craft stall at a fair and see what happens :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Very nice Jim:thumb::thumb: and i'm sure rewarding
Cant wait to see the first wooden A frame:Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice work Jim :thumb: I did some yrs ago but stopped because I used to get a build up of static and very bad shocks :ROFLMAO: no one would come near me :ROFLMAO:It got solved by wrapping copper wire around my wrist and onto the copper water pipe :winky:As such I stopped doing it.
terry

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Nice peices Jim. If ever you get the chance to use cherry I've heard that's good wood to work with.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
YOUR talented Jim.:thumb:

Will we see you with a stand at the show?:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice work Jim :thumb: I did some yrs ago but stopped because I used to get a build up of static and very bad shocks :ROFLMAO: no one would come near me :ROFLMAO:It got solved by wrapping copper wire around my wrist and onto the copper water pipe :winky:As such I stopped doing it.
terry

I also had to take a break .. .. developed RSI on my right hand and forearm .. really painful .. woke up in agony .. anyways. better now but have to take it easy

Nice peices Jim. If ever you get the chance to use cherry I've heard that's good wood to work with.

Thanks...

Yes indeed, Cherry is lovely, I had a small piece and made a few mushrooms, think I posted last year with the pictures.. but it's hard to come by ..

YOUR talented Jim.:thumb:

Will we see you with a stand at the show?:Smile:

Thanks John.. it's a nice hobby and not too difficult once you get the knack.. hard bit is finding 'free' wood .. maybe try to get to a show when I get some sleeping wheels.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim try looking in the local window factory skip :thumb: They sometimes pull out windows etc which have oak /mahogany sills
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
RSI to right hand:Eeek:
Never thought I would see that admitted on a public forum:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim try looking in the local window factory skip :thumb: They sometimes pull out windows etc which have oak /mahogany sills
terry

cheers Terry.. will keep my eyes peeled for that.. :thumb:

BTW.. when you were getting static, did you check for 'reverse polarity' on the lathe ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't know if there are any around your way but a friend used to get wood sometimes from local jobbing gardeners he would pay them a few bob for wood, he finished up having wood collected by about a dozen different people the word soon got round, he sometimes had large amounts seasoning prior to use.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
My nickname is Skippy because its amazing what timber can be found in skips, should I find any I will put it aside and keep it for you:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You have a gift for this Jim. I like the little bowls with lids on.

Very professional looking :thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Looking good Jim
If you start using Iroko, you must wear a good mask as the dust is like supercharged pepper.
It can take your breath away just cutting-it with a chop-saw.
Also if you use Zebrano the whole shed will smell of vomit!!! You'll get a fantastic finish but'll need to leave the doors open for a good-while :thumb:

cheers...nige

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Are you going to the bring and buy meet ?? Im sure if you took some along you would sell some. They are lovely . Very smooth . You just want to touch them.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Looking good Jim
If you start using Iroko, you must wear a good mask as the dust is like supercharged pepper.
It can take your breath away just cutting-it with a chop-saw.
Also if you use Zebrano the whole shed will smell of vomit!!! You'll get a fantastic finish but'll need to leave the doors open for a good-while :thumb:

cheers...nige

All softwoods (generally evergreens) are irritants to the lungs and a mask should be worn when working with them.

Hardwoods (generally from deciduous trees), however, are classed as respiratory sensitisers and can cause severe and chronic lung problems after exposure.

Buy a good mask and dust extraction system for hardwoods! :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Lovely work. Sandy is also a wood turner and has been doing it for quite a few years. He is doing a lovely rocking horse at present which may have to be an heirloom for the family. I'm all wooded out at present and just do not want any more wooden ornaments.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Attachments

• 06.06.07 026.jpg
    06.06.07 026.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries