Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Rules OK, esp when the Kite Festival is on, we really enjoyed that. The whole place was humming and we have never ever seen it so packed even though we have been there in July or August quite a bit, from well before we had the motorhome. Also it was red hot ! Fab firework display on the beach Easter Sat night.

We went to France on 17 April and intended to spend just a couple of days at Berck and then go wherever depending in weather, as we didn't have to come back till May 4th. In practice we spent 95% of our holiday at Berck! We went onto the aire at Bellevue (Terminus) as per normal and it was pretty full and became absolutely jam packed as the week progressed.

We had a couple of not so good days at the end of week 2 and whizzed along to Fecamp, horrific thunderstorms, quite scarey. Moved then to Mer les Bains near Le Treport for a day or two, but then the weather got warm again so we snuck back to Berck BUT in our absence, things had started to change on the Bellevue aire and contined to do so until we left last Weds!

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice ......

Firstly the lady who had been living in a caravan up one corner of the aire for years, appeared to be no longer in residence when we first arrived on 18 April, although the roof vent on the caravan was open. I asked and the lad who collects the money said she had gone. There seemed an unusual lack of poor-looking cats .... who never bothered anyone you understand but I wouldn't have wanted em round me anyway ... but towards the end of the week after Easter week she started to appear a few days and seemed to be cleaning. Then we left, on the Thursday I think? maybe the Friday. We returned the following Sunday and the caravan had gone, but all the junk in her little compound appeared to still be there. No-one called for money on the Sunday but on Monday morning, the lad (well he's a youngish chap, but the same one as last year!) said that on Tues, the council were going to 'clean up' this side of the aire but the other side would be OK so would we like to move over there? So we said NP and moved. Mme Caravan kept coming on foot or on her bike and removing a few things at a time.

On Tues, they came and took down the entire fence that side of the aire then we went off to the supermarket. Before we did, they had turned the water off! - they didn't tell us that, did they? so on the way back from shopping, we called in at the other aire up by the lighthouse and did the necessary. Then went back to Bellevue and by this time the 2 other vans on the aire had gone and there were diggers and trenches and who knows what on the aire. We parked on the car park next door, which people do anyway when the aire is full. I should explain we were not looking for punishment but this was intriguing and we much much prefer that end of the beach, LOL

Gradually over the course of the day Mme C removed quite a lot more. She had already filled the rubbish skip single handedly the previous day, including a leisure battery - anyway the refuse collectors spotted it, removed it and left it for a different truck to come and collect it. Come Tuesday evening we saw that there was now a dotted red line painted up the car park. All this observation was going on whilst also going to the beach, walking into Berck and discussing it with other motorhomers on the carpark LOL

By Weds lunchtime when we left, they had virtually finished installing a land drain most of the way across the aire, moved the tap to it's new place, removed the old plastic grey and black water tank and completely installed and buried a new square galvanised one and built a bit of kerbing by it.

We would now like to ask any Funsters going to France soonish to call by the aire and find out what the heck they have done to it, please!

:thumb: :thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Jenny!

Just a few details about the aera being packed lol quite normal since a very famous film has been taking place in Berck!
It is the story of a man from south France who is sent by his factory (as a punishment for bad commercial results) in Northern France. He thinks he will never see the sun again , that temperatures will always be under zero, he feels very bad!:roflmto: People there have a funny accent, when they talk you could think they are suffering teeth ache lol , a french can hardly understand them , a bit like geordie!They pronounce all the "s" like "ch" so "siens"(his) is pronounced chiens(which is in fact dogs). you get lost vey easily. But it is dead hilarious! These people are called Ch'tis. If you want to have an idea , you can have a look at the advert of the film. http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18783957&cfilm=126535.html

Pity you can't get it as it is really really funny!I think all the french went to see the film and so that is why there are soooooooo many of them who want to visit the place.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Last edited:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Haway noo Frankie, whadya mean "Like Geordie" pet ? :Smile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
We also were there !

Hi Jenny,

We also called in to Berck our first time there fror the kites on Sunday Monday 23 24 April.

The Kites were fantastic and yes what a sprawling aire.

We were in the Left corner as you come in the gate with our back to the fence, so we also watched with interest the cats one with its head at an obtuse angle poor thing, and also the lady back and forwards with water buckets to the sink and the tap, thought she was not doing anybody any harm.

We then moves down to a passion and on to Honflure before coming back up thro St Valerie En Cx and Le Treport, we had the elecric storm there on Thursday night.:whatthe:

About the Aire at Berck I thought it a little strange that you could not get to the tap to fill with a hose, and watched the watering can procession to the tap, also no grey disposal but we can cope.

We are never sure about parking outside any aires but it seems normal there.:Blush:

We will be back because of the lovely beach, and am planning the kite festival week now!:Cool:

Take Care
Terry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Haway noo Frankie, whadya mean "Like Geordie" pet ? :Smile:::bigsmile:

:roflmto::roflmto:I taught french in Middlesbrough and spent a few week ends in Newcastle ... dear me! fortunatly i could see the people faces so expressions were helping a lot (a bit like smileys do:winky:)! But after a few years without having heard english ...i had a few difficulties to get Tick59:Blush::Blush::roflmto:(fortunatly His wife Chris was helping me lol!) when we met at Parc Verger!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice ......

Well that was highly exciting NOT.

I was just getting ready for "and the seven dead bodies all had their heads and hands removed with a chainsaw. They all had a wooden stake through the heart and it was clear their feet had been on fire before death. The old woman had rigged a megatonne bomb and it was only because Ralph had his trusty trowel in his pocket which he hurled into the detonator just in time that there is still a town of Berck".

And what do you deliver, a drain.

Huh.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

I was just getting ready for "and the seven dead bodies all had their heads and hands removed with a chainsaw. They all had a wooden stake through the heart and it was clear their feet had been on fire before death. The old woman had rigged a megatonne bomb and it was only because Ralph had his trusty trowel in his pocket which he hurled into the detonator just in time that there is still a town of Berck".

Huh.

So you have been to Runcorn then...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Huh.

Brian,
You need help!
(I think even Shifty will agree.)

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Oh well Brian, I forgot you'd never met us - that sort of behaviour from Ralph seems so mundane to me after all these years I scarcely think to mention it to others now!

And the post was long enough as it is .....

:Doh:

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mister Ed, dunno why we didn't happen to speak to each other? whatever! The cat lady has never been a prob to us or anyone else AFAIK; she used to talk to herself and wouldn't talk to you, we both have always said 'Bojour' to her and smiled and she has always immediately looked away. And we have passed her in the street in Berck, always spoken, same thing and she talks to herself when she's out and about. I don't know what the truth is but described by the cash collecting lad when I asked after her as 'un petit fou' with a grin.

We carry 2 folding buckets for the very purpose of taps that won't fit hosepipes no matter how many connections you have in the locker and places with no drive-over drains. Berck isn't the only one! And even when you can easily affix a hosepipe, ever so many people of all nationalities still seem to use a watering can and a cut-off pop bottle funnel!

(and before anyone says, yes we do know which bucket is which! :ROFLMAO: )

Anyway Brian I did actually think that the fact a local authority are improving an aire and making it about twice as big was a) jolly good and b) might actually be of interest to other motorhomers ........

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Jenny,

Parhaps the final phase will be the installation of an electronic barrier entry/exit via credit card machine @ 10e / day plus additional charges for water/bat chg.

The collector will then have less work to do, but France will increase its income from the aire, as all the locals that arrive late and depart early, will also have to pay.

When we were in France last year, I think it was one of the TI officers, told us of the estimated massive loss of income because of the ease of use without payment, and these steps were being taken, to reduce the loss.

Will it work??????

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Which brings me very neatly on to another point which I had entirely forgotten for the moment, so TY !

As it goes, you are right about a lot of the French and also some Belgians, who move their vans off first thing and put em on the carpark until late afternoon. They used to move em back after the Town Hall had collected in a morning but they got wise and come at 'odd' times and come again mid afternoon, also random times. Last year when we visited end of May, there was a sign up saying the carpark could be used as an overflow but that you would be charged anyway, on the basis you would actually use the tap and the waste disposal which is fair enough because people always did and still do. I mean we looked as if we were doing that when we went to fill up and empty on the Tuesday, but we had paid and the water was off when we pulled off to go shopping. I understand they reconnected it later that morning as people could and did use both the tap and the old tank - which was now dug up out of the ground and placed on the aire nearby where it came from (the council comes with a tanker and removes the waste nearly every day and could still do that because they do it over the fence with the tanker parked outside the aire)

As it was nobody came or tried to collect money on the Tuesday or Wednesday and so we camped overnight 'unmolested' and free of charge. We have never ever, not paid if we have stayed there except in November!

Anyway - at this aire, and also the other one up by the 'phare' and right by the respective taps, someone had put up a neatly written notice in French (and typical French handwriting! LOL) exhorting all motorhomers to a touch of Civil Disobedience because they said - and it is true - other than the aires both of which you pay for from April to end Sept and neither of which are particularly near the town centre, the main beach, the restaurants or the main seafront - there is nowhere in Berck you can park said camping car free of charge, whereas there are several free carparks, all of which have a sign up saying 'No motorhomes or lorries' which as the notice said is discrimination and therefore apparently illegal - so there is to be an organised 'park in the town' day on a day in June - meant to write down the date and forgot.

Said to Pete I think they tried that somewhere in Spain, didn't they?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back