6 wks travelling in France what will we need!!! (1 Viewer)

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi everyone, well as the title says Nic and I have been granted 6 weeks to go travelling, we are planning to go to France. Unfortunately the dates fall in the summer holidays so will be busy and hot,and we have no air con, but it was too good a chance to turn down.

We are thinking of heading down to the Dordorgne and the Lot, but any suggestions are welcome as we prefer the rural areas of France . We have bought the France Passion and All The Aries books so have all the info for places to stay. We have holidayed in France before but not in a motorhome only in the UK.

The information I was looking for was to do with gas regulators, we have room for a 13kg and a 6kg cylinder, not gas low, which would run the fridge and the cooker. I'm hoping that it will be enough to see us through the 6 weeks, but if not could any of you experienced European travellers give me some info on what I would need as regards to French regulators.

I have looked for information on the forums but would appreciated first hand advice or links to the correct info.

Any other advise is also welcome, we are a bit wet behind the ears. Also could you also tell me where the vets are located so we can check our dog in on the way back home.

Many thanks in anticipation and look forward to your replys

Mike and Nic ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Thanks for the reply wivvy, here at home we use the van 2 weekends every month and then the annual holidays as well and it seems to last ages, when you are using it every day or 6 weeks it's ard to work out how much you will use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Thanks for the reply wivvy, here at home we use the van 2 weekends every month and then the annual holidays as well and it seems to last ages, when you are using it every day or 6 weeks it's ard to work out how much you will use.

As long as the 13kg is full when you leave, it'll last well beyond 6 weeks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
13kg should easily last 6 weeks, especially if you occasionally stay on a site with electric hookup as the main user is the fridge.:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Also thing that will do you fine for 6 weeks we have done 4 weeks on 6kg no problem.

I would also suggest if you haven't already done it to buy the book all the aires and also would recommend you join or at least have a look at France passion ideal way to see proper France and also cheap way.

Have a good trip
Gerry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have to say it again! - I have no idea how any of you make your gas last you as long as you do! :Angry:

We have 2 x 6kg Gaslow. Pete filled it back up at the garage on April 16th. At 10pm on April 17th we went to France. Never on hook up all the time we were there which is normal for us and why we had a solar panel fitted so we would always have lights, be able to flush the loo etc!

We had the water on three times for about an hour, 90mins. We had the fire on two or 3 evenings mid holiday for several hours - went ruddy cold. We used the oven to cook meals about 4 or 5 times and the grill pretty well everyday, either for toast or to cook chops etc. The kettle got boiled a lot either for drinks, washing up or washing ourselves on the days we didn't have the water on and have proper showers. Some nights we used two burners at once if needed. Fridge on 24/7 obviously. One of the cylinders was empty after about 10 days (have the receipt in the van, can be precise tomorrow)

Anyway I wonder if it's because people barbecue stuff or something, instead of using the cooker all the time as we do? Or eat out a lot?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We travelled to France last year with 2 X 6Kg cylinders for cooker & fridge and still had gas when we came home :Smile:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We also have 2 6kg cylinders. In summer we could easily last 3-4weeks with them, using them for cooking, hot water etc. in winter using the gas for heating as well they would last up to 2 weeks depending on how cold it gets. We did Disney in winter with temp -6c and we had plenty of gas for 5 days with the heating on all the time on low.
We cook all our own meals and I tend to use the oven for cooking all the meal including veg etc to save gas, if I use the hob I try to double up things by using a steamer which means the use if only 1 burner, and if the heating is on we turn it off whilst the cooker is on.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Our 11KG Gaslow will last about a month in mid summer in France so you might get away with it.

Fridge doesnt use much but its on all the time. Our main culprats seem to be the gas fire and the oven. Both are used less if at all in the height of summer.

www.campingcar-infos.com is the best resource for looking for Aires or wild spots in France before you go. They also have the biggest GPS selection of Aires for your sat nav.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi another site which i use is motorhoming france £12 to join but very good aires reviews all in english with photo's map ref's and all relevant info, I personally use camping gas for bar.b.q also as back up in case 2 x 6kg run out as you can purchase those over there, but then again we haven't been away any longer than 25 days at a time . Hope you have a good time, we always have ,can't wait until sept we are over there (loire vally) for 18 days this time. Terry

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Hi everyone, well as the title says Nic and I have been granted 6 weeks to go travelling, we are planning to go to France. Unfortunately the dates fall in the summer holidays so will be busy and hot,and we have no air con, but it was too good a chance to turn down.

We are thinking of heading down to the Dordorgne and the Lot, but any suggestions are welcome as we prefer the rural areas of France . We have bought the France Passion and All The Aries books so have all the info for places to stay. We have holidayed in France before but not in a motorhome only in the UK.

The information I was looking for was to do with gas regulators, we have room for a 13kg and a 6kg cylinder, not gas low, which would run the fridge and the cooker. I'm hoping that it will be enough to see us through the 6 weeks, but if not could any of you experienced European travellers give me some info on what I would need as regards to French regulators.

I have looked for information on the forums but would appreciated first hand advice or links to the correct info.

Any other advise is also welcome, we are a bit wet behind the ears. Also could you also tell me where the vets are located so we can check our dog in on the way back home.

Plenty of €€€€€€€

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have to say it again! - I have no idea how any of you make your gas last you as long as you do! :Angry:

We have 2 x 6kg Gaslow. Pete filled it back up at the garage on April 16th. At 10pm on April 17th we went to France. Never on hook up all the time we were there which is normal for us and why we had a solar panel fitted so we would always have lights, be able to flush the loo etc!

We had the water on three times for about an hour, 90mins. We had the fire on two or 3 evenings mid holiday for several hours - went ruddy cold. We used the oven to cook meals about 4 or 5 times and the grill pretty well everyday, either for toast or to cook chops etc. The kettle got boiled a lot either for drinks, washing up or washing ourselves on the days we didn't have the water on and have proper showers. Some nights we used two burners at once if needed. Fridge on 24/7 obviously. One of the cylinders was empty after about 10 days (have the receipt in the van, can be precise tomorrow)

Anyway I wonder if it's because people barbecue stuff or something, instead of using the cooker all the time as we do? Or eat out a lot?

Does a 6kg Gaslow actually hold 6Kg or is it an 80% fill i.e. 4.8Kg ?

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I think our 11kg gaslow holds 22 litres. I have a 6 kg calor as backup but never need it.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Hi Mike and Nic...we live in France and are out in the motorhome around 7 months + every year....we do not use campsites we only use Aires....but we do sometimes use electric hookups or a genny....(we use solar 110amp and 2 x 110 battery and gas) ...we use 11kg in three to 4 weeks of normal use .....fridge....freezer...only a very small amount of heating if any....oven and cooking is normal use ...so I agree with Sedge/Jenny and and Barryd and Meanders.....1 month max.......unless you are on campsites on electric hookups....
(these figures are on our old heating not the new one Alde!!! that is only lasting a week...eek)

I am not sure but I think the butane connection in the uk external thread is the same connection as the French Propane and French Butane...as both are the same thread ...but please check...you get gas very easy now with a deposit for the bottle from 1 to 5 euros .....for a 11kg 0r a 13kg propane bottle in france gas is around 19 to 23 euros depending were purchased all supermarkets Super U, Carefour, Intermarche and many other shops.

Dordorgne...lovely ...we like it... this area is a very Brit populated area, in fact one village there is only one French person in the village all the rest are Brits...Whoops...:Eeek:

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back