May 6, 2011
NW Leics
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40yrs
Hi,
I'm currently using a Smartcom voltage sensitive relay to give me a leisure battery charging facility when driving. The Smartcom is fed directly from the vehicle battery but I read a thread a few months ago that suggested it would be better to have a higher capacity normal relay and use the voltage sensitive Smartcom to open the circuit. Am I correct in thinking that the Smartcom relay regulates the charge and that a normal relay doesn't and if I'm drawing the charging current direct, via a normal relay, from the starter battery and not from the alternator (does an alternator give a regulated charge?) am I going to have a problem. I sure could do with some expertise - every time I think I've got a grip of 12v auto electrics something crops up to worry me.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome Vandad :thumb: Don't know any detail on how your smartcom works but my mate who did all the wiring on my self build just kept things simple (for me :ROFLMAO:)He simply wired in a twin relay to charge the l/b and run the fridge keeping the starter battery separate.The twin relay was under a tenner took him a few mins to connect and has proved faultless for 4 yrs :thumb:
terry
if nothing else it will bump you to the top where someone may know about your Smartcom :ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi and Welcome to MH Fun:welcomefunster:

Sorry can't help but will put you back at top again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am I correct in thinking that the Smartcom relay regulates the charge and that a normal relay doesn't

As far as I can make out a Smartcom relay switches when it detects something like 13.6 V on the starter battery, in other words it's being charged, so it connects the leisure battery to the starter battery and they both get charged.

A "normal" relay does not have an accurate switching voltage.

The only reason I can think for switching a normal relay by the smartcom is if you choose a more robust relay.

Voltage regulation is all done by the alternator. Relays just switch on/off.

OP
OP
V

vandad

Free Member
May 6, 2011
NW Leics
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40yrs
The reason I want to use a standard relay is that the Smartcom is rated at only 30amp and if I use a higher rated, say 70amp, relay the l/b should in theory charge quicker - the wiring would of course have to be upgraded. What I can't understand is that any 12v piece of equipment, battery included, pulls a certain amount of current (amps) and for example a 48watt television will pull 4amp (watt/voltage) but what does a discharged battery pull in amps - a mains operated battery charger is usually rated in a certain amp output so what is the output of a charging system using a relay fed from the starter battery.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but what does a discharged battery pull in amps - a mains operated battery charger is usually rated in a certain amp output so what is the output of a charging system using a relay fed from the starter battery.

That is an extremely good question and I can't answer it. If you connected 12V to 13.6V ( which is what your relay does ) it would be BANG but clearly that does not happen. A battery is a complex load, it's all about chemical reactions taking place in a fluid so I can just guess that this regulates the inrush current otherwise every MH on the planet would long ago have gone BANG.

The ultimate current is whatever your alternator can supply ( ?? 50 - 90A ?? ).

You can be sure you'll not get 50/2 into each battery. But eventually they will even out at the alternator's float voltage of about 13.6V. A good battery charger will run up to 14.6V ( some over 15V ) for a while to stir up the acid and losen any deposits on the plates.

So if you want the maximum into your leisure battery you'll need thick wires and a bigger relay switched by you smartcom. Most commercial MHs have this bigger relay switched by the alternator D+ line, no smartcom needed.

Don't forget your fuses. One next to each battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back