dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
after we lost or beloved airdale bess .said we would never have another dog but we are thinking we would like a lakeland .small version of a airdale .anyone one got one and what are they like .
did meet some one at peterbrough show but never got back in time to get there phone number.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Before you decide please please consider giving a rescue dog a loving home you will never regret it if you do:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They are definitely characters - Friend of mine has one, and she is cute and knows it...and will use to her full advantage! Certainly intelligent! As with all terriers, try to dominate and can become protective if not well trained. Temperament is much like an Airedale, occasionally unpredictable (may have just been her, she was spoilt rotten, so occasionally snapped without rhyme or reason) but very loyal, loving and very nosey!

If i went down in the van, she would be straight in having a turf about to see if you had anything interesting - and when bored, she would take herself down to the beach and get fuss and treats off the lifeguards!

Cute, independant, and lovely! I would put them in the same bracket as the Kerry Blues, Glens etc. Need a experienced terrier owner with a firm but fair hand and they are fine! I would have one!:thumb:

And as you have had Airedales - I think one would be perfectly suited to you...but be warned, they use their cute looks to full effect!

Actually - have you thought about a Glen?? Great dogs, and 'rarer than pandas' so they say! They don't bark much (only when guarding) and don't moult!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
after we lost or beloved airdale bess .said we would never have another dog but we are thinking we would like a lakeland .small version of a airdale .anyone one got one and what are they like .
did meet some one at peterbrough show but never got back in time to get there phone number.

So Sad about your loss, Have,nt got a lakeland, but we have three gorgeous toy bred white poodles, that are just seven weeks old . K.C registered, and have had there first inoculation, please P. M me if you want any mre details.............Del

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you are looking at adopting - look at Irish dogs. They don't have rehoming centres there - though a few charities are trying to start up. They only have 'Dog Pounds'..............7 days and it is goodbye!

They have such a stray problem, they have no choice.

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thanks for advice .looking for a pup to bring up as part of our family .i like to take my dog everywhere i go like to start young . had a bad experience re homing a few years ago .got there in the end they cannot tell you what there past life was like .

thanks for you offer novawight i am a terrier lover

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for advice .looking for a pup to bring up as part of our family .i like to take my dog everywhere i go like to start young . had a bad experience re homing a few years ago .got there in the end they cannot tell you what there past life was like .

thanks for you offer novawight i am a terrier lover

Hi David,

Good luck with the hunt for a pup, I thought you would have one eventually - I can just see you striding down the beach with a pup in tow!!

Ginny and Mike

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you are looking at adopting - look at Irish dogs. They don't have rehoming centres there - though a few charities are trying to start up. They only have 'Dog Pounds'..............7 days and it is goodbye!

The Dog's Trust have one in Ballymena, Northern Ireland. So thin on the ground! Jane :Smile:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

Couldn't agree more, one of ours is a Deerhound/Irish Terrier cross from Ireland. A bit of a handful for the first few months but well worth the effort. I feel quite strongly about people encouriging the indiscriminate breeding of 'pedigree' dogs for purely commercial reasons. IT's a shame the Kennel Club isn't made up of dog lovers, but there you go!

Malcolm

Dafodil

Free Member
May 6, 2011
surrey
Funster No
MH
Golden oldie
Exp
A whole year!
The house is so quiet after you lose a dog, so can quite understand you wanting another.

I wanted another Tri Corgi but very hard to get, so ended up at Battersea Windsor & got a 12 week old Staff cross pup 5 years later went & got another......crossed with the devil ; ) he's certainly full of character but my first boy try's to keep him in check!!!!!!

Let us know what you got..... I do love a puppy ; )

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
The house is so quiet after you lose a dog, so can quite understand you wanting another.

I wanted another Tri Corgi but very hard to get, so ended up at Battersea Windsor & got a 12 week old Staff cross pup 5 years later went & got another......crossed with the devil ; ) he's certainly full of character but my first boy try's to keep him in check!!!!!!

Let us know what you got..... I do love a puppy ; )

still looking

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Rescue dogs will always try their luck for a few months - they are joining a new pack and are trying to find their top position. They live for today - the rest is fed off your energy...you feel sorry for them, they see it as a weakness and try to take over.

No one knows how strong this 'energy reading' is, in a pack it is sensitive in order to read moods - but some have attributed this to animals knowing you are coming home before you arrive (even if at odd times).....which would be quite freaky!

Watch for the modern 'mixed' puppies (jackapoos and so on!) These names are just given to anything nowadays. Years ago a mongrel was a mongrel - they now try to sell them at a premium price, using a mix breed name! The labradoodle is the only one officially recognised as a 'new breed' iirc.

Glen pups are very rare so quite expensive. Males with poor eye tests will go cheap for around £800 - good breeding ones £1600 male. £2000 female. You need to use pack rules with these as they are aggressive in nature - even for terriers! They do not warn before attack, so are not allowed off lead...cute though!

What about a toy schnauzer?? Or a Border terrier?

Link Removed

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Lakland terriers are great little dogs - not as good as wire fox terriers though lol! We meet a lot of them at shows and they are typical terriers and as said in other posts are full of energy etc.

We have a breeder near us who does Lakelands - She is also part of the wire fox terrier resuce and if you wanted to contact her please send us a PM. We also know some other breeders of Lakelands and happy to share details. You may have already looked at the breed club information but if not this is the link:
Link Removed

Our dogs are part of the family and travel with us everywhere in the MH. We went to Birmingham National Show on Friday evening - showed Rory yesterday. The pups were quite at home and into everything! Howie needs to remember not to leave his sandwich on the table and then go outside!

We are going to fit out the garage with space for them as having four dogs under your feet gets a bit interesting when trying to cook the dinner. Saying that the people in the next motorhome to us in the camping area had four large dogs in a very small compass!

Kind regards

Kath & Howie

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
When we lost our collie Rex we thought we'd stay with two dogs but a friend of Tom's bitch had a litter of smooth haired collies a couple of days later and said we coould have first pick if we wanted another one. 4 weeks later Blue arrived at the house and there's been mayhem ever since! He's 2 now and we wouldn't be with out him. Though he's a big idiot and thinks we have to play with him all the time!

Jess, our Corgi x Border collie, was a rescue dog as was the rough haired JR, Tina, we had before Pip. Pip was a result of a nieces JR getting out and coming home in the family way!

Interestingly we think we met Tinas previous owners. We were enjoying a day out when this young woman approached us and said that she ,Tina, looked alot like one they'd given away. Even down to the name and the fact that she hated motorbikes! This could be due to being knocked down and having her leg broken, if she was the girls dog. Anyway they'd given her up as they lived in a back-to-back house in Leeds and couldn't let her out as they didn't have a garden! But she was 1 when we got her and lived a very happy life until we had to put her to sleep, Kidney problems, when she was 16. Jess is now 14 and is as spritely as ever since getting arthritis stuff from the vets. She was hopping over the ridges in a field Tom had ploughed yesterday. At Christmas she couldn't stand up without help!

Anyway sorry to go off topic but everytime we've lost a dog we always said we wouldn't get another but we have it would be a very quiet house without them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back