Caravan club (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Just wanted to know if it is worth while joining the Caravan Club or would the Camping and Caravan club be better? What benefits other than CL's are there?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I belong to both solely for their CL/CS sites i.e. privately owned sites with around 5 vans on at very reasonable prices generally::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We joined the CC when we bought the van 5 years ago and have used several main sites. Used our second CL a couple of weeks ago.

Over the last couple of years we have attended more rallies/meets and spoken to people more about using alternatives to main sites. To that end we have just joined the C&CC because we are attracted by the wider range of weekend meets and temporary holiday sites within easy reach of us.

We will renew the CC membership (think it expires at the end of this month) but then compare both over the coming few months to see what suits us best.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
I find the c& cc club better if you like to rally no advance booking required they also have a dedicated motorhome section the welsh region i belong to has 3 night and 4 night meets with a lot of them within easy access bus routes and towns

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are CC members.
We like the standard of the CC sites, but we aren't really avid site users. We prefer the less formal (and cheaper!) CLs.
CC rallies seem OK, but are a bit stuffy for us being mostly for the benefit of caravanners! We tend to join a rally only if its in a good location at a bargain price.
CC member offers for insurance, etc are not really competitive in our opinion.
They do offer sites and CLs in places we like to visit though.
We are not members of the C&CC, but would join if we thought the extra sites and CSs on offer were to our benefit.

The CC do a cheap offer for members at cHaven sites once a year!
We are off to Cleethorpes very soon!::bigsmile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We belong to both mainly for CL/CS sites and find these good value and we also use the CC&C club for their RAC breakdown service no limit on weight or size, and have always found them very helpful.
Of the two prefer CC&C always found them friendlier both staff and campers.
Tend to stay with both as gives better coverage countrywide.

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
I've been a member of the CC on and off for twenty five years. Last week I joined the C&CC on the recommendation of a friend. We attended our first event at Lockside site Ripon over the week end.

Without doubt the C&CC win hands down. I will keep my Caravan club membership but doubt I'll renew.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like others, we belong to both clubs. They have similar benefits and being in both gives better coverage when touring. Membership is not expensive so we'll continue in both clubs.

Rgds
Bill

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We belong to both for the CL/CS always find that if you are heading for an area it is one or the other that is dominate on the CLs so you need both really - with a 5'er the C&CC has the edge on recovery - if we are ever going to get a refusal because we are 27ft long 5'er it will be the CC - C&CC always seem to accomadate us - if we have to make a saving then we would bin the CC in real terms they are both useful

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
We belong to both and their are advantages to both. We feel that the C&CC are more like what you would expect from a club and seem to have a friendlier approach to members. The CC are excellent for ferry fares to and from the continent. However, I do feel that both clubs are guilty of charging large site fees and treat you in the typically British way of "price hikes" whenever possible. As a classic example, when the schools were on two weeks half term, one area had the last two weeks of the month and a neighbouring council had the last week and the first week of the following month. The Caravan Club therefore put up their rates for the whole 3 weeks. As a site user with no children, why should I pay extra any way during this period . I think that the CC should remember that we are not customers, we are members and therefore, owners and it wouldbe more beneficial to keep costs to a minimum for us. Just as a matter of interest, the CC were recently boasting about the Executive Lodges that they have had built. THESE LODGES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE AND i DOUBT THAT MANY EXISTING MEMBER WILL EVER USE THEM, so why build them.
O.K. I've got that off my chest......my personal choice would be C&CC.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
We were members of both Clubs for over 20yrs; three years ago the CC had a special offer on the Portsmouth/Cherbourg crossing.
I rang the booking officer, gave him my details and he gave me the price.
!! Nil discounts!! When I asked why, he replied” we are not here to provide discounts to 'Camper Vans' “We are the Caravan Club"
I asked to speak to the Booking Manager, who was even more 'Stroppy.
I cancelled my Membership there and then and my Van Insurance wrote a complaint letter to the President, who replied saying “Perhaps you would be better off with a more suitable organisation.
I still get very angry when I think about it and take the view perhaps that’s what the majority of the members want. We are now in our 25 year with the C&CC and 20 years with the MCC.
Best Regards, Mac

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Like others, we belong to both clubs. They have similar benefits and being in both gives better coverage when touring. Membership is not expensive so we'll continue in both clubs.

Rgds
Bill

That is probably a good way of looking at it! Join one club, and you never seem to reap the benefits, and end up unhappy in some way. When joining both, and combining the fee as one for all CL's - then you will be much happier in geting the overall benefit through one or the other.

Many times, I have scorned the CC sites for being more expensive than non member sites, or ccc sites - or have travelled in areas where there is an abundance of ccc sites, and no cc sites and vice versa.

Joining both would make sense if you are touring fairly regularly - especially, if like me, you don't like planning anything and follow your nose!

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I joined both and have used the CC sites and CL's more as the C&CC places have either been fully booked, grotty or not in the area I want to be. As for the people I've found nice and ignorant on all sites but the staff so far have been brilliant.

batchpatch

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
Club membership

Hi

As others have said we also are members of both clubs but find the c&c club very frendly and there rallys are good fun and informal you can attend any rally in any part of the country they also have holiday meets that last for longer periods in many loverly parts of the country.This may be my last year of joining the caravan club as most of my weekendy away have been with the c&c club rallys. Join the club and try a rally before you join the caravan club.
Happy camping
Batchpatch.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
CC utter rubbish for the last two years I have used them to book ferries’ Dover to Dunkirk, no problem using the internet to book on their site. Then they updated their website:Eeek: now if I take a trailer (is not a caravan a trailer:Doh:) I have to phone even when in France or Spain which can be very expensive listening to their advert trying to sell me insurance, when i eventually get to actually speak to someone they then have to ring the ferry company "DERR!":ROFLMAO: then tell me a price which dearer than the last two years of frequent travel so I then went on the ferry's website and booked straight away for a lot less money (30-40%) what is that all about in the end they do not want camper van's I think, or their business just their membership fee’s and don't make wave's I have renewed just to use CL's if I did not need to join I would not.:Eeek: in the end they do not want or need us:Eeek:
rant about CC over

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
We've been members of both but like several others we don't use cc sites for that "us and them" reason. We are with Green flag recovery through the cc . Does anyone belong to the Motor Caravan Club? Are they OK?
Joan :Confused:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We are members of both, after 2 years we think the caravan club just edges the Camping and Caravan club for 1st place.
We find the C.C. site book so much easier to use than the C&CC book and the standard of the C.C. sites is generally so much of a higher standard.
You don`t have to pay a deposit when booking a pitch on a site with the C.C whilst with the C&CC you do.

Yes the C.C can be a bit regimented and some of the wardens are like little hitlers, odd than such miserable people should choose to work in a job were they are meeting people that have come away for a relaxing break and are generally in a happy mood, still thats life.

All in all we think it`s worth being in both it all depends on which campsites you want to travel to.

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Thank-you to all who responded. I must admit years ago I was a member of the CC. I found exactly what has been said they are stuffy never stayed at a Cl. Hopefully we may be able to escape the rat race. ( In Ireland?) and go touring very soon. We will venture to England. There seems to be a lot of clubs to join Motorhome fun being the best of course. In Ireland I got European recovery included in my insurance fully comp for 350 euro Bargain or what. So it only seems that the CLs that come with both clubs would be the only benefit to me. Both Mo and I will if we do escape will be coming to more meets with you lot and would advise more who have not been to one to do the same.

Richard

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are members of both, after 2 years we think the caravan club just edges the Camping and Caravan club for 1st place.
We find the C.C. site book so much easier to use than the C&CC book and the standard of the C.C. sites is generally so much of a higher standard.
You don`t have to pay a deposit when booking a pitch on a site with the C.C whilst with the C&CC you do.

Yes the C.C can be a bit regimented and some of the wardens are like little hitlers, odd than such miserable people should choose to work in a job were they are meeting people that have come away for a relaxing break and are generally in a happy mood, still thats life.

All in all we think it`s worth being in both it all depends on which campsites you want to travel to.

I'm with the Caravan Club at the moment, though do not seem to use it so much, but I did get a very very good insurance deal this year.

Is the fact bookings do not require deposits, mean some users are "blanket booking" sites well in advance, (especially weekends, holidays etc) to hedge their bets then just choosing their actual destination site at the last minute. Some sites appear fully booked, but in actual fact end up with nowhere near 100% occupancy, as booked stays fail to show..

I do think they are now also pricing some of their sites out of the market.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
A little bit of support !!

I have been with the CC now for 13 years, in all that time I have been treated courteously and the motor home (24 ft. long) has always been welcomed ! I have always booked my ferry tickets through them and have always received a good discount ! I am on the LDS ferry next week and the discount was around £40 off booking direct !
Need I say more ! I tried the C&Camping club one year, but it was not for me, too many kids kicking balls and frisbees into caravans and motor homes and tearing across pitches on bikes screaming at the top of their voices.
I tend to use adults only CL's now, much much better !!

From Stephen....Founder member of Grumpy Old Gits Club....And, Hilldweller and ShiftZZ, Yes you can join !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
irish caravan clubs

Are any of the Irish clubs worth joining? Had a look but can't see if they get ferry discounts or not.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have been with the CC now for 13 years, in all that time I have been treated courteously and the motor home (24 ft. long) has always been welcomed ! I have always booked my ferry tickets through them and have always received a good discount ! I am on the LDS ferry next week and the discount was around £40 off booking direct !
Need I say more ! I tried the C&Camping club one year, but it was not for me, too many kids kicking balls and frisbees into caravans and motor homes and tearing across pitches on bikes screaming at the top of their voices.
I tend to use adults only CL's now, much much better !!

From Stephen....Founder member of Grumpy Old Gits Club....And, Hilldweller and ShiftZZ, Yes you can join !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We are leaning more towards Adult only sites especially in school holidays somehow we have just become so intolerant of the someones else`s little darlings.

Yes we would say that there is a certain group of people that book a pitch on C.C sites and then cancel, sort of hedgeing their bets we guess.
Another odd thing we thought was that we have just had 3 nights up at Castleton, lovely site in a fantastic area, we got there last Sunday about 12-30pm so quite early of course being a C.C site they tell you to drive around find a pitch and then come and tell them the number and they give you the corresponding gate or toilet key.
A tad dissorganised in that as we drove around on some of the bigger sized pitches we found were occupied by small caravans or motorhomes, yet the smaller pitches were empty, ok if there is plenty of empty pitches but annoying when the larger motorhomes then have to squeeze on a small pitch.
Luckily for us with our 28`Arapaho we found the perfect pitch, sunny all day and close to the shower block
Though think they should say to the smaller units don`t take up the bigger pitches.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Though think they should say to the smaller units don`t take up the bigger pitches.

Must agree it seems they are afraid of making smaller occupants go on to suitable sizes pitches, but then this appears to be CC logic in so many circumstances, afraid of working for the greater good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back