Radio rewire? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The radio on our van will only play when the Ignition is on. Not half way! only when fully on. I've poked around in the back of it, and found a bright Yellow wire marked "Battery" among all the others attached to the back of the Radio.
Question; If I cut this wire, which I suppose is routed thro the Ignition, and take it straight to the battery (with inline fuse naturally) will that allow the Radio to work without the Ignition involved ?

I'm thinking it will , BUT, thought I'd check with the Oracles on this forum, just in case!

Once again all help gratefully recieved:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The radio on our van will only play when the Ignition is on. Not half way! only when fully on. I've poked around in the back of it, and found a bright Yellow wire marked "Battery" among all the others attached to the back of the Radio.
Question; If I cut this wire, which I suppose is routed thro the Ignition, and take it straight to the battery (with inline fuse naturally) will that allow the Radio to work without the Ignition involved ?

I'm thinking it will , BUT, thought I'd check with the Oracles on this forum, just in case!

Once again all help gratefully recieved:thumb:

Where in Cornwall are you? Would you like me to pop down and rewire to your leisure, or put on a switch? Labour free...(just make gallons of coffee!!:thumb:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yellow does go to the battery but it is used for the radio memory .. and is 'live' at all times.
Look for the red, that is the supply from the ignition ..

see diagram

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 151417.jpg
    151417.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 37

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yellow does go to the battery but it is used for the radio memory .. and is 'live' at all times.
Look for the red, that is the supply from the ignition ..

see diagram

If you have the standard fittings block as Jim posted there is no need to cut and change any existing wiring.

Just fit a small "jumper" wire from the yellow radio memory spade to the red ignition spade. You could also make it longer and fit a switch so you can change over as you like. It is also easy to remove should you wish to change it back to the original setting.

Then you can turn the radio on and off without even having to put your keys in the ignition at all.

On the downside of course, don't forget to go away with the radio switched on, you could then come back to a flat battery.:Doh:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
If you have the standard fittings block as Jim posted there is no need to cut and change any existing wiring.

Just fit a small "jumper" wire from the yellow radio memory spade to the red ignition spade. You could also make it longer and fit a switch so you can change over as you like. It is also easy to remove should you wish to change it back to the original setting.

Then you can turn the radio on and off without even having to put your keys in the ignition at all.

On the downside of course, don't forget to go away with the radio switched on, you could then come back to a flat battery.:Doh:

I've just done exactly that on The Rosabella. I was wondering if it would be possible to wire it up so that, as in most modern cars, it will switch off automatically after a given amount of time.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will probably find that someone has disconnected the permanent live, and the radio is relying on ignition live only. Common ' quick fix' on campers/motorhomes to avoid to battery drains.

I will have a look next week for them and will know then!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i wouldnt advise connecting direct (via fuse) to the battery.

i made that mistake on my car.

radio memory used 9 milliamps when radio off

connected switched (ignition) live direct to battery (no accessory position on a corsa) and it went to 190ma with the radio turned off.
in effect it just made the off button a standby button.

doesnt sound much but its 1.9 amps per 10 hours or 31.92 amps per week....dead battery within 2 weeks of none use.

better to find an ign key activated accessory fuse in the fuse box and connect to that instead.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
mine has a 3 position switch on the dash.
position 1 is on with ignition.
position 2 is off.
position 3 is hab battery.

and it came from the converters wired like that as the radio is also sat nav/dvd and reversing monitor

if you forget and leave it on hab battery at least the van will start.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
i wouldnt advise connecting direct (via fuse) to the battery.

i made that mistake on my car.

radio memory used 9 milliamps when radio off

connected switched (ignition) live direct to battery (no accessory position on a corsa) and it went to 190ma with the radio turned off.
in effect it just made the off button a standby button.

doesnt sound much but its 1.9 amps per 10 hours or 31.92 amps per week....dead battery within 2 weeks of none use.

better to find an ign key activated accessory fuse in the fuse box and connect to that instead.

It will more than likely be switched! It is what we do on our m/h's as they have after market units, which is usually where the problem starts as they do draw more current then factory fit when off - again, depends on the make of the unit.

Factory units 'sleep' with the vehicles normal system, lessening the load after 20-60minutes. After markets do not always do this - same as some household appliances! Factory units tend to draw if there is a fault elsewhere, usually cigarette lighter gasket.

It will get a good going over and be given a suitable resolution. There is a reason why it has no constant live feed present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back