plymouth /portsmouth to santander (1 Viewer)

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Hi all any advice appreciatted on cheapest way to book ferry to santander

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
There is no "cheap way". Ticket prices are high on this route, especially at peak season. Even on board, food drinks, coffees etc are expensive.

I only used it when I used to get free tickets with P&O on Portsmouth - Bilbao.

Depending on your schedule and trip you get over to France then take LD lines from St Nazaire to Gijon, that can work out cheaper depending on your circumstances...
shorter crossing too.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
There is no "cheap way". Ticket prices are high on this route, especially at peak season. Even on board, food drinks, coffees etc are expensive.

I only used it when I used to get free tickets with P&O on Portsmouth - Bilbao.

Depending on your schedule and trip you get over to France then take LD lines from St Nazaire to Gijon, that can work out cheaper depending on your circumstances...
shorter crossing too.

As said not cheap,,, if you have the time do Portsmouth to Caen, cheaper and you dont miss all the beautiful places in France if your not stuck for time.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We are currently in Spain having travelled here via Portsmouth to Santander, friends of ours who travelled out before us used Plymouth to Santander but returned via Bilbao as they were informed that you could overnight park there.

they this time travelled to Portsmouth but said that they would NEVER use Bilbao again as the dock to ferry ramp has quite a sharp dip and the ferry loaders were having to use logs of wood in the dip to prevent vehicles from bottoming out.:Eeek:

We have quite a large overhang on our RV so we shall return as we came Santander to Portsmouth.:Smile:

Mick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all any advice appreciatted on cheapest way to book ferry to santander

"Cheap" and "Santander" do not mix.

On November pricing I calculate it's maybe a bit cheaper than Dover/Calais and you save days travelling and 900 miles wear.

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
We did the Plymouth-Santander route once.

Cannot fault the journey. Ship was fantastic and immaculate, as you would expect from Brittany ferries. Crossing was nice & smooth.

It was expensive, yes. But you do get there in around 21 hours, and the overnight on ths ship passes very quickly.

I would consider it again.

Boxer man

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Worsley, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Just joined !! The dreaded channel ferry prices ???

Hi all. My lady and I are considering a trip through Spain, down to Murcia, within the next year.
Our machine is a 1997 Autohomes Wayfarer, 19'-2" long x 7'-3" wide and 9'-6" tall. Where is the best place to get a price for the Plymouth/Santander crossing for the above van with 2 to 4 passengers?
Any help much appreciated.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cheapest is plymouth to santander . you can on most of the boats on that oute just pay for a recliner not a cabin.
personally i sleep on a bench somewhere on the boat .
in deep winter it doesnt sail sometimes so portsmouth is the only way.
living here its far cheaper to use the santander route .we are 350mls from dover and the miles in france there and back cant get anywhere near the usual 600quid cost in nov come back april.
plus we save wear n tear. as we only do about 16-18 mpg.
even my mate from scotland now uses it .he finds costs break even but less wear n tear.
plus france isnt so nice in november .
for many with good mpg it may not be viable but i like it, lots parking around santander .on the shell garage on the n611 or out by the irport .we stop in torrelavaga ,by the lidl, carrefour and aldi super markets .or out at tagle,on the coast road out near saunces.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It might seem expensive to go on the ferry to Spain but if you don't want to zig zag through France and your intention is to go to Spain, then one has to say the difference in price is not great, one could say that by the time you factor in wear on the tyres and engine and the time taken driving through a country that you don't want to explore, its cheaper.

I am traveling up through France from Spain, then tunnel to UK tour UK and then on the way back by Ferry to Spain, as I will have "Done" my France bit.

Depends what you want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back