Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Just had a bike rack fitted and now have a patch of condensation in the back window which wasn't there before , can't see how the bike rack could have caused this as it's connected nowhere near the window .... Any suggestions ?

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Who fitted the Rack, did they seal the fittings with a mastic type compound, is there any damp on the wall where the fittings are? If the answer to No 3 is yes, then I would suggest that the rack fittings are letting rain water in. Whenever you pierce the outer skin of a Motorhome, you have to use plenty of sealer in the holes you make and on the item you are fitting. Damp will creep along the wall boards in all directions, I speak from experience but luckily Mark from CLS noticed it on my Hab check last year!

OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Who fitted the Rack, did they seal the fittings with a mastic type compound, is there any damp on the wall where the fittings are? If the answer to No 3 is yes, then I would suggest that the rack fittings are letting rain water in. Whenever you pierce the outer skin of a Motorhome, you have to use plenty of sealer in the holes you make and on the item you are fitting. Damp will creep along the wall boards in all directions, I speak from experience but luckily Mark from CLS noticed it on my Hab check last year!

It was only fitted two days ago at my local Brownhills at Birtly , Durham . It's a Elddis 100 it's only a small window high up and now there's a patch of condensation in the middle of the window , could be coincidence , but don't know .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
On our van, where the bike rack casts a shadow on the window, the cooler area of window allows condensation to form.

We have a condensation-shadow in the shape of the bike rack and anything that is carried upon it.
The morning after swimming, we can see bikini-shadow and goggles-shadow.

We could have the window fixed but the shadows are much more fun, to be honest ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
blamehofman

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
On our van, where the bike rack casts a shadow on the window, the cooler area of window allows condensation to form.

We have a condensation-shadow in the shape of the bike rack and anything that is carried upon it.
The morning after swimming, we can see bikini-shadow and goggles-shadow.

We could have the window fixed but the shadows are much more fun, to be honest ::bigsmile:

Ah! This could explain it , just had a look and it's where the handle bar casts a shadow , never had this on my last van though so just shows you live and learn . Thanks :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Ah! This could explain it , just had a look and it's where the handle bar casts a shadow , never had this on my last van though so just shows you live and learn . Thanks :thumb:

Don't worry about suggestions that holes in bodywork are letting moisture in, the window is a sealed unit and nothing to do with any moisture that may be alleged to be in the bodywork. Shadows cast on the window definately show up as a patch within the window unit, this will dissapear when window is in full sunlight. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back